Stolen Computers

eigen

Diamond Member
Nov 19, 2003
My girlfriend recently recieved a letter from her student loan lending institituion indicating that 4 of their computers had been stolen.
On these systems were loan amount and names as well as SSN numbers.They seem to be taking care of the matter as they signed her up for for credit montitoring services with three of the leading services.

I just wonder how this was allowed to happened.And whether or not these systems were targeted or were just a random smash and grab.I would bet they were targeted.

FoBoT

No Lifer
Apr 30, 2001
fobot.com
"allowed to happen"

you think they wanted them stolen?

stuff gets stolen, i don't see why you think they "allowed" it to happen. the doors were probably locked and stuff, thieves are theives, stuff gets stolen sometimes

i don't think the company wanted their computers to get stolen

eigen

Diamond Member
Nov 19, 2003
Originally posted by: FoBoT
"allowed to happen"

stuff gets stolen, i don't see why you think they "allowed" it to happen. the doors were probably locked and stuff, thieves are theives, stuff gets stolen sometimes

Yeah but thats the point a simple door and lock dont inspire confindence in me when financial records are concerned.Thats why banks dont keep their money in the closet. They keep it in a vault.So thats my point If the systems had been kept in a room that is secure as I would expect then it should have been alot more difficult and thus not a random thing.

Kelvrick

Lifer
Feb 14, 2001
What about at home? Does your computer have any personal info on it? Any kept passwords? What about your social security card and all your bills. Do you keep all of that in a box in the bank vault? I mean, your house/apartment is basically just some rooms behind a locked door, right?

Did you think about this yet?

Gibson486

Lifer
Aug 9, 2000
Originally posted by: eigen
Originally posted by: FoBoT
"allowed to happen"

Yeah but thats the point a simple door and lock dont inspire confindence in me when financial records are concerned.Thats why banks dont keep their money in the closet. They keep it in a vault.So thats my point If the systems had been kept in a room that is secure as I would expect then it should have been alot more difficult and thus not a random thing.

It still would have been stolen...if they waned to steak it, they would find a way.

FoBoT

No Lifer
Apr 30, 2001
fobot.com
if you survey all of the companies that have your SS # , you will find that 99% of the computer systems your SS# sits on are not locked in a vault

California just passed a new law requiring all computer systems that have certain personal info to be encrypted, but the law is like Swiss cheese from an information security perspective

jadinolf

Lifer
Oct 12, 1999
Same thing happened to me. I don't think the crooks would want your personal info.

jadinolf

Lifer
Oct 12, 1999
Originally posted by: n0cmonkey
This is why they encrypt everything, right?

Yeah but the people who have our personal info on their HDD don't have a clue.

FoBoT

No Lifer
Apr 30, 2001
fobot.com
Originally posted by: n0cmonkey
This is why they encrypt everything, right?

"they" ? which they?

who do you think encrypts everything?

write a letter to every company you are a customer of and ask them if they encrypt personal data of customers