Stocks: Talk me out of this kinda stupid move.

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

gotsmack

Diamond Member
Mar 4, 2001
Originally posted by: bsobel
Again I understand that I should be much more diversified, but when you think you have a winner it screws up your reasoning.

Anybody can pick one winner, you should be working on finding another one (and then another one, as so on). Try thinking of it this way, if you put it all on Nintendo your basically admitting you've had one good idea this year and sans that you have no idea how to invest.

This is the best argument in the entire thread. A+

While not entirely accurate I'll buy it. Thanks.

AgaBoogaBoo

Lifer
Feb 16, 2003
risk is directly related in this case to the potential amount you can make.

While it is a risk to not diversify your portfolio, look at how much you're willing to risk. If your portfolio's total value takes a 30% dive, will you be ok? Make some estimates on bad situations that are likely to happen, and if you are fine with those for the chance for a higher potential, go ahead and give it a shot.

AgaBoogaBoo

Lifer
Feb 16, 2003
Originally posted by: gotsmack
Originally posted by: bsobel
Again I understand that I should be much more diversified, but when you think you have a winner it screws up your reasoning.

Anybody can pick one winner, you should be working on finding another one (and then another one, as so on). Try thinking of it this way, if you put it all on Nintendo your basically admitting you've had one good idea this year and sans that you have no idea how to invest.

This is the best argument in the entire thread. A+

While not entirely accurate I'll buy it. Thanks.
Agreed, best statement in this thread.

thepd7

Diamond Member
Jan 2, 2005
Do you think Nintendo is going anywhere but up until after the holidays next year? I don't, with the wii kick ass and STILL selling out even though they stocked way better than the other systems combined with the fact they actually make money on it leads me to believe nintendo is still a good buy. Plus they haven't had a new portable system or revision come out in the past few months so another one of those is coming and their track record on those is pretty good (all good except original gameboy advance). Not saying it's a good idea to put it all in Nintendo just saying the likelyhood of Nintendo going down in the next 6 months is very low.

imported_Lothar

Diamond Member
Aug 10, 2006
Originally posted by: thomsbrain
Buffet would give you the opposite advice: Buy Sony, not Nintendo. They have a solid business model, a solid product, and are merely waiting for a few killer game titles, which are on the way. Nintendo has already made its gain, and the best you could hope for is that it won't fall. There aren't any huge gains to be made there in the next few years. Investing based purely on retrospective success is not a wise plan.

Absolutely not. Buffett wouldn't give that advice.

PS3 is going to lose console gaming market share anyway you see it. There's no stopping it.
Nintendo has nothing to lose(their market share was low during the Gamecube era) and everything to gain.
Nintendo is selling their Wii consoles at a profit, and therefore will have the upperhand in any future price cuts. Sony's gaming department on the other hand is hemorrhaging cash selling consoles at a loss of $200+ (according to some industrial analysts).

There won't be any new console product (PS4, Nintendo *.*) offered by either manufacturer for the next 3 years at least and I somehow do not see the PS3 overtaking the Nintendo Wii console in sales for the next 3 years.

If I was to invest in Sony stock now, it certainly wouldn't be because of their PS3/gaming department...

While it's pretty clear that the OP is buying Nintendo because of retrospective success, I chose to buy Nintendo in early March based on their business model(giving gamers exactly what they want and not forcing useless crap down their throats, cheaper priced console, making a profit on each console sold and not hemorrhaging cash) and their products(Zelda, Metroid, Smash Bros.)

gotsmack

Diamond Member
Mar 4, 2001
Originally posted by: Lothar
Originally posted by: thomsbrain
Buffet would give you the opposite advice: Buy Sony, not Nintendo. They have a solid business model, a solid product, and are merely waiting for a few killer game titles, which are on the way. Nintendo has already made its gain, and the best you could hope for is that it won't fall. There aren't any huge gains to be made there in the next few years. Investing based purely on retrospective success is not a wise plan.

Absolutely not. Buffett wouldn't give that advice.

PS3 is going to lose console gaming market share anyway you see it. There's no stopping it.
Nintendo has nothing to lose(their market share was low during the Gamecube era) and everything to gain.
Nintendo is selling their Wii consoles at a profit, and therefore will have the upperhand in any future price cuts. Sony's gaming department on the other hand is hemorrhaging cash selling consoles at a loss of $200+ (according to some industrial analysts).

There won't be any new console product (PS4, Nintendo *.*) offered by either manufacturer for the next 3 years at least and I somehow do not see the PS3 overtaking the Nintendo Wii console in sales for the next 3 years.

If I was to invest in Sony stock now, it certainly wouldn't be because of their PS3/gaming department...

While it's pretty clear that the OP is buying Nintendo because of retrospective success, I chose to buy Nintendo in early March based on their business model(giving gamers exactly what they want and not forcing useless crap down their throats, cheaper priced console, making a profit on each console sold and not hemorrhaging cash) and their products(Zelda, Metroid, Smash Bros.)

Right on the money

I have half of my portfolio in Nintendo already. I got in a bit at $42 to test the waters and then the bulk of my holdings at $49.50.

I'm buying based on past performance (even thought it's not an indicator of future performance, however it is trending upward). It's been out for a while now and they're still hard to find. What you guys aren't taking into account is international growth.

I'm going to be strong willed and not prematurely dump my NMX to put it all in Nintendo. For the sole reason to prove that I'm not a 3 trick pony.

imported_Lothar

Diamond Member
Aug 10, 2006
What you guys aren't taking into account is international growth.

I'm going to be strong willed and not prematurely dump my NMX to put it all in Nintendo. For the sole reason to prove that I'm not a 3 trick pony.

What international growth? Are you talking about Nintendo or the stock market in general?

tk149

Diamond Member
Apr 3, 2002
I think Nintendo's market is still growing. What Sony and Microsoft do is becoming more irrelevant to the Wii's success, since their target market is diverging. I'm keeping more of an eye on the DS vs. PSP war, since Sony dropped the PSP price. The handhelds target the same audience (at least in America), and the DS is responsible for the majority of Nintendo's income at this point.

I :heart: NTDOY :D

It's my first big winner ever!

imported_Lothar

Diamond Member
Aug 10, 2006
The growth of Nintendo in international markets.

The weak yen vs dollar/euro is creating advantages for Japanese heavyweight exporters like Nintendo, Sony, Canon, Toyota, Honda Motor Co, etc...

There's nothing new there.

gotsmack

Diamond Member
Mar 4, 2001
Originally posted by: Safeway
So what are you going to do? 291

291?

I'm already holding onto a big chunk of Nintendo.

Some research group is supposed to release numbers on Thursday and then on the 22nd is supposed to be an earnings report.

Today we saw a nice pull back. I'd get in now if I weren't already in.

jpeyton

Moderator in SFF, Notebooks, Pre-Built/Barebones
Aug 23, 2003
Buy now and hold through the end of 1Q 2008. This holiday season will be absolutely huge for Nintendo. DS Lites will continue to fly off the shelves at their record pace. Wii sales will be off the charts; they'll ramp up production for the holidays, but they will still sell out, guaranteed.