Stocks falling again

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

ericlp

Diamond Member
Dec 24, 2000
Originally posted by: blackangst1
Originally posted by: glugglug
Originally posted by: jpeyton
What Im saying is, now is the time to buy.
Buy what? All the stocks worth owning haven't declined enough to make them worth buying.

What makes you qualified on evaluating the stock market? Your massive portfolio?

Actually I have a pretty decent portfolio that started with $25/mo in 1986, and over 400% growth since 1999. So yeah. I do have experience.

"All the stocks worth owning"? eh

Burlington Northern
Sempra Energy
Proctor & Gamble
Dow Chemical
3M
Bank of America

Do some research. You're obviously not stupid, just naive.

Bank of America is worth owning, with the housing bubble finally popping? ROFL.

Yes. And the housing "bubble" is about done. Thats what makes them a great buy. They sure arent going to delist, and theyre one of the strongest financial institutions in the world. Do some research. They do more than sub-prime loans.

Yes. And the housing "bubble" is about done.

Pssst! Hey buddy... It hasn't even begun! Sheesh....

It's not even close to being over with. Hope you keep the illusion going tho... Don't want everyone bailing out at one time now...

I'd say the housing has another 40%+ drop to go.

Oct 30, 2004
Originally posted by: GrGr
Obviously becasue military/defense manufacturing booms during WARTIME :roll:

That is about the only sector doing really well. In fact I suspect the US economy is so hooked on War that it cannot stop now.

We could just use our military to conquer Mexico and perhaps all of Central America and make it part of the United States. That oughta keep our military occupied for a couple years.

ericlp

Diamond Member
Dec 24, 2000
Whatever you say ericlp. 40%? LMFAO. HOLY SHIT THE SKY IS FALLING!

Well, I'm not sure where you are from but places like portland oregon or seattle washington are really going to see a hit.

Good luck trying to fill the tanks of your cars, keep food on the table and keeping your job (better hope it's real secure)... Plus paying the 3-4K yearly property taxes Oregon demands every year... That's the average 3-400K dollar house pays (I know cause I USE to pay it)...

Yes 40% or even Higher if you live in the above area's that haven't even seen a drop yet.

blackangst1

Lifer
Feb 23, 2005
Originally posted by: ericlp

Well, I'm not sure where you are from but places like portland oregon or seattle washington are really going to see a hit.

Good luck trying to fill the tanks of your cars, keep food on the table and keeping your job (better hope it's real secure)... Plus paying the 3-4K yearly property taxes Oregon demands every year... That's the average 3-400K dollar house pays (I know cause I USE to pay it)...

Yes 40% or even Higher if you live in the above area's that haven't even seen a drop yet.

Well, the NW has always been high. I know in 2001 property taxes in WA were increased by 2.5%. But it isnt that way everywhere. I know in La Jolla, CA (one of the most expensive average home prices in CA) my step mother pays 14k/yr on a $2 million home, so less than 10%. When I was in Auburn, I paid $2800 on a $160k house in 2002.

cliftonite

Diamond Member
Jul 15, 2001
Originally posted by: ericlp

Well, the NW has always been high. I know in 2001 property taxes in WA were increased by 2.5%. But it isnt that way everywhere. I know in La Jolla, CA (one of the most expensive average home prices in CA) my step mother pays 14k/yr on a $2 million home, so less than 10%. When I was in Auburn, I paid $2800 on a $160k house in 2002.

Thats pretty cheap. In some parts of NJ taxes on a $2 million home would be 30 to 40k

imported_Lothar

Diamond Member
Aug 10, 2006
Originally posted by: GTaudiophile
None of FDR's New Deal policies did a damn to end the Great Depression. It took WWII to do that.

Are you suggesting we invade China and start WWIII?

imported_Lothar

Diamond Member
Aug 10, 2006
Originally posted by: GrGr
If the big defense contractors have to start cutting down and lay off people (and Defense work tends to pay really well I believe) it will be a huge blow to the economy. Think what would happen in a state like California whose economy already is poorly.

California's economy isn't poor.

IEC

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Jun 10, 2004
That's funny, I'm still making money on stocks...

blackangst1

Lifer
Feb 23, 2005
Originally posted by: Spartan Niner
That's funny, I'm still making money on stocks...

lol me too. I bought Merck last week since it hit < $50/share. Phenominal buy.