Stock Heatsink/Fan the same for single core Athlon 64 and Dual Core Opteron?

Laztlain

Jan 26, 2005
I have an Athlon 64 3200+ in my machine right now with the stock HS and Fan. I just bought a used Opteron 170 and am wondering if the HS/Fan I have is the same that would come with a retail Opty anyway?

Martimus

Diamond Member
Apr 24, 2007
Originally posted by: Laztlain
I have an Athlon 64 3200+ in my machine right now with the stock HS and Fan. I just bought a used Opteron 170 and am wondering if the HS/Fan I have is the same that would come with a retail Opty anyway?

The dual cores run much hotter than the single core A64's. I would get a Freezer 64 or something cheap that cools well. I found that mine wouldn't keep my X2 cool enough to avoid thermal protection with the stock cooler, switching from a 3500+. (Although there may have been some other issues as well, I can't remember exactly.)

SlowSpyder

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
My single core 3000+ used an all aluminun heatsink without any heatpipes. My Opteron came with an aluminum/copper heatsink that is basically the same demensions, but has a copper plate at the base and it has with 2 copper heatpipes. I used that for a while, then found that there is a 4 heat pipe version too. I bought that from Ebay for not much money, maybe $10. I think it was what came with some of the FX chips. That is what I'm using now on my Opteron.

jjmIII

Diamond Member
Mar 13, 2001
Originally posted by: SlowSpyder
I used that for a while, then found that there is a 4 heat pipe version too.

I use one too. Best OEM cooler EVER!

EDIT: link

Martimus

Diamond Member
Apr 24, 2007
Originally posted by: jjmIII
Originally posted by: SlowSpyder
I used that for a while, then found that there is a 4 heat pipe version too.

I use one too. Best OEM cooler EVER!

EDIT: link

That is a nice cooler, but it is more expensive than the Freezer 64, which performs better. Of course it is smaller, so there is an advantage to using it. The Freezer is difficult to install, so this may be a better option if you aren't planning ot overclock just for that reason. (Frustration caused by installation may not be worth the extra 5 dollars you save.)