Still running Windows 98 , what`s the big deal??

gryffinwings

Sep 28, 2018
The only uses for it are some minor production stuff like word processing, excel type stuff and the like. Nostalgia. Retro gaming.

For getting on the internet, it isn't really usable, here are some requirements for internet:

Web Browser needs to be at minimum Internet Explorer 9, I think.

CPU requirements are interesting, I tried using the internet with an old AMD Athlon XP for an experiment and it was basically a failure, I found out later. I found out you need to have a minimum instruction sets to effectively use the internet, which the one that was missing was SSE2 instruction set in the Palomino core Athlon XP CPU.

Security is a huge issue, I would only ever use this as a stand alone computer, not that you could use the internet very well. Also don't even think about trying to connect to a modern NAS, I'm not even sure it can be done, I've tried it with my simple set up and couldn't figure out a way to do it effectively.

There is have been some people that did some tweeks to Windows 98 if I recall correctly, but I think that was like 10 years ago.

The primary reason that it's quick and smooth is that it's a pretty light weight operating system for what it was and it just worked.

mxnerd

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2007
I wonder what browser OP was using.

Last edited:

Bardock

Mar 12, 2014
Lol the fat guy who writes game of thrones does so on an air gapped dos abandonware. The machine is never online and never out of his sight, and he's become a millionaire writing in it.

Anyway what's the deal with airline peanuts?

Iron Woode

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 10, 1999
I actually have a win 98SE box. I use it for retro stuff.

there are hacks to improve it but is it worth it?

you2

Diamond Member
Apr 2, 2002
I guess it is fine as long as you don't need new hardware and you don't connect to the internet.... I suppose it did receive a patch for wannacry virus; but who knows about wannadie virus... anyway having said that I have an old sytem in a box somewhere with windows 98; I used to boot linux off a usb to test disk issues; but when i moved 2.5 years ago i ran out of floor space so in a box it went.

corkyg

Elite Member | Peripherals
Super Moderator
Mar 4, 2000
As long as it does what you want and you are happy - enjoy it.

kn51

Aug 16, 2012
The thing with 98 I remember is the odds of it shutting down all the way was like 1 out of 10 times.

Anyways, you can also do ME.