Sticking an Infinity Engine in a BMW??

eflat

Platinum Member
Feb 27, 2000
I've been looking for a car lately and the other day I came across a '92 BMW 325 for $3000. The catch? It needs a new engine.

This got me thinking. What if I were to go to the junkyard and get my hands on an old Infinity q45 engine (270hp 32 valve v8, bmw material) or any other nice engine and plop it into the bmw.

Is this possible? If so, how much would this conversion likely cost? If it could be done for under 4 or 5k I could have myself one bargain of an autobomile.

Shorty28

Oct 10, 1999
Never heard of anyone putting a japanese made v8 into a German made Bimmer, and I doubt it could be done to meet either company's original perfection.

Wingnut

Banned
Oct 11, 1999
One: I don't think that motor would ever fit under the 325's hood.

Two: The motor mounts would not be right.

Three: I don't think the bimmer body's torsional rigidity is designed for that kinda H.P. (You would spend lots bracing the frame)

eflat

Platinum Member
Feb 27, 2000
Is there any hope of sticking any more powerful engine other than the standard 2.5 liter bmw engine?

Farbio

Diamond Member
Apr 9, 2000
i don't think you would have to worry about the torsional rigidity of the bmw's frame.....those 3 series have long been renowned for rigidity, and adding 80 hp to the car won't do that much to harm it.
the engine mounts are also easily fixed by a repuptable shop. the biggest problem would be that the motor probably will not fit in a 3 series hood which is not remedied easily. also, the q's motor will weigh alot more than the 3 series one and offset the superb balance of the car.
i guess on the choice of engines, you are limited. your best bet obviously would be an m3 engine for about the best matching to the body. other engines that would match well would be perhaps an inline 6 cylinder from toyota, their 3.0 liter used in the gs300 or if you're really lucky, find a used supra engine for 320hp in the turbo:)
that should fit...but then u have the mount problems again....

Windogg

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Will the transmission be able to handle such a load? Thats assuming the engine can even be mated to it in the first place.

Windogg

lupin

Platinum Member
Oct 11, 1999
what you can do is get the M3 engine for about $4000-$5000, and use that one instead of the Infinity engine.

A lot of people has done this, and it works beautifully. The real M3 is based on the same chassis, so everything should fit.

And the M3 engine is practically a bigger displacement version of the 325 engine. I think even all the wiring harnesses should fit perfectly.

Make sure you get a '95 M3 engine (3l) . The '96 and newer (3.2l) is more different, and a little more powerful. It should fit, but I'm not sure about the wiring harnesses.

If you want, I'll give you some contacts to get the engine.

Sluggo

Lifer
Jun 12, 2000
Besides the mechanical aspects being a real hassle, I'm not sure you could ever get the electrial wiring (i.e. engine computer, monitering,emissions sensors etc.) ever working properly. An reputable automotive electrical shop might hit you up for 2-3k just to get those systems working right.

Sluggo

lowtech1

Diamond Member
Mar 9, 2000

It would cost you more $$$ Fking around with an engine that were't meant to be in the BMW, than bore out the orignal engine + racing cam & piston.

CyberSax

Banned
Mar 12, 2000
It wouldn't really be a BMW then would it?

BTW. I don't M3 engines can be purchased for $4,000 to $5,000. If that were possible, everyone would just buy a 318 (true, they don't make them anymore, but they were around until last year) for $25,000, get a $4,000 M3 engine, and end up with a $43,000 car.

lupin

Platinum Member
Oct 11, 1999
CyberSax:
Trust me. $4000-$5000 for a '95 M3 Engine (3 liters)
$6000-$7000 for a '96 onward M3 Engine (3.2 liters)
$12,000 - $15,000 for a 3.2 liter 321 bhp Euro M3 engine, w/ sequential gearbox.

lupin

Platinum Member
Oct 11, 1999
BTW,
the 318i is a 4-cylinder, and in order to fit an M3 engine, many parts have to be replaced. The electrical harnesses might be totally different.

the 325i is a 6-cylinder, and it shares a lot of parts w/ the M3.

getting the M3 engine won't turn your car into an M3. The suspension is different. In addition to that, many people like having the ///M personalized interior. Converting the interior into the M version can cost you another $5000 easily.

eflat

Platinum Member
Feb 27, 2000
Thanks for the advice guys. I think lupin has the right idea, only it sounds like this is going to be too expensive for me. Even if I managed to purchase the car and get the m3 engine installed for less than 10k, I'm sure I would get killed when it comes to upkeep.

I think I will stick to the '94 Nissan Maxima I've been looking at. Maybe I could find a nice turbo z engine to put in there...;)

CyberSax

Banned
Mar 12, 2000
If you low budget, low maintainence BMW, pick up a used 318 for $10K. Won't have the acceleration of an M3, but it'll have the same great feel and overall handling. And BMW's aren't known for their interior. In fact, the M3 interior is rather quaint, so you won't be missing out on any luxury aspect.

eflat

Platinum Member
Feb 27, 2000
Great idea, Cybersax. Maybe I should get it with an automatic too, since those darn manual shift cars always seem to stall on highway offramps.:p

CyberSax

Banned
Mar 12, 2000
Maybe I should get it with an automatic too, since those darn manual shift cars always seem to stall on highway offramps

Yup. I agree.

Just trying to give your cheap @ss some advice. Good luck trying to find a respectable German sports sedan for under $8K.

Well, enjoy your Nissan Maxima. Hey, at least it'll have manual transmission. That way, you can pretend as if you car has some sort of sporty feel, even if it does take you over 10 seconds to hit 60 mph. As for me, I think I'll stick to my original plan of getting an M3 after I'm out of med school :)

Mill

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
You could try to fit a 4.6 or 5.4 liter 32v DOHC Ford engine in it. I am sure someone could help you do it.

thedarkwolf

Diamond Member
Oct 13, 1999
I'am not a chevy guy but if there is a kit out there to stick a different engine in that bmw I can almost guarantee it would be to stick a chevy 350 and whatever trans in it.

tinneric

Golden Member
Jan 14, 2000
It would be far cheaper to hop up a 325 motor than to do an engine swap. There are a ton of aftermarket parts out there. Use the old saying Keep it simple.

eflat

Platinum Member
Feb 27, 2000
Well, enjoy your Nissan Maxima. Hey, at least it'll have manual transmission. That way, you can pretend as if you car has some sort of sporty feel, even if it does take you over 10 seconds to hit 60 mph.

The Maxima is an excelent sports sedan with good handling. And last time I checked, it took 6.7 seconds to hit 60 in a stock '94 Maxima. within .1 seconds of a new 328. The 318 on the other hand... But unfortunately, a FWD car will never compete with a RWD BMW when it comes to handling.

Thorn

Golden Member
Oct 9, 1999
Dude, here's a plan for ya. :) Get the 94' Maxima and buy a computer upgrade ($400-500). Basically what you'll have then is a NA 300ZX "sedan". No joke, they have the same 3.0L V6 that came in the Z. Then buy a Stillen perfomance exhaust system, High-Flow intake, and injector upgrade. You'll be pushing 260HP w/o having to tinker with the frame or suspension, unless you want to have the chassis professionally stiffened up a bit just for the hell of it.

Want to go farther? Get a Stillen Intercooled Super 400 Turbo Kit (you'll have to stiffen the chassis and get performance struts), that'll push you to 400+HP. You'll destroy "pony" cars and stock Vettes. ;) You'll probably want to get some nice 16-18" Centerline wheels and "sticky" 235/50 tires to go with that.

Of course, this ain't cheap. But the first part can be done for not too much $. Not to mention the rewarding feeling you get from doing this yourself (well, you'd probably have someone else do it... but you know what I mean) ;).

eflat

Platinum Member
Feb 27, 2000
Thorn, I had done a small amount of research into turbocharging the maxima and was told it couldn't be done because the compression was too low. Well, it could be done but would cost more than it is worth. Any thoughts on this?

Thorn

Golden Member
Oct 9, 1999
That's bunk, the 90'-96' Maxima is mechanically almost identical to the 300ZX. With a computer upgrade it's virtually the same engine as a NA Z car. Call Stillen (714-540-5566) and ask them, they'll tell you the same. ;)

eflat

Platinum Member
Feb 27, 2000
How much would this likely cost for:
A. The computer, intake, exaust and injector upgrade
B. The Super 400 turbo kit

And would this actually be reliable in day to day driving or rather a pain in the ass? Also, I never understood the deal with the computer upgrades. If the car was capable of safely making more horsepower, I would think Nissan would let it. I've read that you are just screwing up the engine, any thoughts?

I've heard it's a pain to turbocharge the NA 300zx for the same reason.. Have you ever seen this done?

Francodman

Diamond Member
Dec 11, 1999
you ARE screwing the engine w/ a new chip. Some reports shown a blown engine :Q. Just get yourself a supercharger, like i said b4, they are specified to run w/ stock parts.