Sticking an Infinity Engine in a BMW??

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

spec411

Apr 18, 2000
DONT TRY TO SWAP ENGINES OF DIFFERENT MAKES!!! Yes it can be done but if you dont know enough about mechanics already (and askign such a question makes that clear) then its not a wise idea...im not trying to cap but the problems with such an idea are countless...

nothing fits together
nothing is designed to work with each other
nobody will be willing or able to work on it

these days, even having a different model engine in your car than what came stock will cause so much headache at smog check time and repair time it isnt worth it...find yourself a car with AN ENGINE YOU ALREADY LIKE!!! dreams of buying something cheap and swapping/upgrading will cost many times more than you ever imagine

spec411

Apr 18, 2000
BTW, i know from unfortunate experience...my philosophy has been to buy cars already "fixed-up" the way i like em (modified z-28 and modified olds cutlass convertible (oldschool) so i dont have to pay for the mods...you get to discover all the probs with this:

wheels that scrape wheelwells (you will be pissed if you spend big bucks on wheels and then find that out)
parts that dont quite fit right (exhaust manifolds, alternators, etc)

basically if ya dont work on your car yourself, the $60-80 labor charges to fix the constant problems of a modded car will make you wish you bought stock

Thorn

Golden Member
Oct 9, 1999

<< And would this actually be reliable in day to day driving or rather a pain in the ass? Also, I never understood the deal with the computer upgrades. If the car was capable of safely making more horsepower, I would think Nissan would let it. I've read that you are just screwing up the engine, any thoughts? >>

Car makers are only gonna sell you as much HP as you can afford. A Maxima is quite similar to a Duron... when OCed it's damn impressive . ;) BTW, it's quite safe. I've been running a &quot;chipped&quot; car (my Z has a computer upgrade) for 2 years flawlessly. And I've seen at least 6 chipped Maximas and they ran very well. What the upgrade does is change fuel/air mixtures and the acceleration characteristics. They didn't particularly want a Maxima running as aggressively as a Z... but using the same block for both saved $. See my point? Truthfully, I wouldn't mess with a Turbo upgrade, it's just too expensive (about $3000-5000 installed). Call Stillen about the other parts and get a catalogue, they're very reasonable.

<< you ARE screwing the engine w/ a new chip. Some reports shown a blown engine . Just get yourself a supercharger, like i said b4, they are specified to run w/ stock parts >>

I've never seen one screw up. I've heard stories several years ago, but that was when companies were simply hacking old boxes and reselling them. Today's products are mature and designed specifically for the make and model of your car. Most of the time, the companies are even assisted by the OEM (Stillen works closely with Nissan on their's).

BTW, I've seen (on two occassions) a SC damage an engine (warped valves). Any modification can damage a car. That's why you get your parts from a respectable dealer and have the work done by a professional.