Question Stick with 3000 2x8GB ram or upgrade to 4400 2x16GB ram?

Spiritwalker22

Jan 27, 2022
Just bought a new CPU 12400F and motherboard to upgrade my old 6600K. Is there any benefit to upgrading to 4400 2x16GB ram? I don't game, but do some video editing with Hitfilm express.

Some other specs
256GB Samsung 950 pro
Nvidia 660GTX -> wouldn't mind upgrading, but not at todays prices
4k display

Tech Junky

Diamond Member
Jan 27, 2022
I'm running aa 12700K w/ 16GB 3200 in it and w/ Linux it runs great. I transcode video through an onboard PCI card and process .ts files for commercials in seconds post recording w/o a GPU in the system.

My 16GB on idle sits around 3GB in use and live streaming from OTA ~4GB.

Are you seeing any issues with your current RAM?

Spiritwalker22

Jan 27, 2022
Well, I don't have my new parts yet. But with my old system (6600K) my CPU maxes out at 100%, I use about 8GB of ram, my GPU seems to be running at 25% or less and my SSD bounces from maxed out to almost nothing.

I normally do video about 10 minutes long. It takes about 15 minutes to process.

I guess my best bet would be to swap in my new CPU and motherboard when I get them and then see if there is a bottleneck elsewhere or if it's still the CPU.

Tech Junky

Diamond Member
Jan 27, 2022
It all depends on how you process things.

Plex on the Linux server side w/ 12700K has a couple of options for processing the files post recording. CPU / iGPU / dGPU.

On my laptop I further convert things from ts to mp4 using MCEBuddy that monitors the folders I set and automatically converts them. It has options to use the same as the server. I set it to use the GTX1650 and it takes a couple of minutes per file depending on the file. It seems to combine CPU / GPU processing on some files while using GPY only on others. I think it has something to do with the codecs it detects when it scans the files.

Before some tweaks in configurations 1.5-3X processing times were what I was seeing as well. Laptop is using a 9750H but, with those higher processing times IIRC the "NUC" I was using had a 5500U CPU in it and didn't really perform all that well for this sort of thing. I also had a NAS that worked to an extent for acting as a server 24/7 but the processor was under powered if it had to transcode anything.

1643384851336.png

So, here's the server post-processing a show with ffmpeg to scan for / remove commercials in a hour long recording and it completed the task in ~90 seconds. If I ran it through MCE to kill commercials it would take considerably longer. They both use the same underlying software to process things but, different methods.

Spiritwalker22

Jan 27, 2022
So I got my new parts today and put it together.

Run the same job on hitman express. It was processing about 5 seconds of footage every second. That is much better.

I was surprised that the CPU did not go to 100% utilization. It sat around 85%. The GPU 3D engine was around 40% usage, although it may be bottlenecked by the GPU only having 2 GB of GDDR.

Running some number, assuming my PC processes the data 5 times faster. Which I believe is conservative, I would guess it is really 7.5 times faster. But the new CPU has 50% more cores and is clocked 13% faster = 70% more core cycles. That puts the core work per cycle up 3 fold. I was expecting a big leap in performance, but that seems a lot more than what I was expecting.

The new cpu has hypertreading where my 6600K didn't, so that may be helping too.

Tech Junky

Diamond Member
Jan 27, 2022
Yeah, they're a different best all together.

3-5X boost in performance I wouldn't focus on the GPU at this point to save some cash. The system will share RAM as needed with the GPU even though it has 2GB it has the ability to use up to 50% of the system RAM. This is what trips up some people on the amount of onboard RAM on their GPU.