Stick shift Versus Automatic

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Chiropteran

Diamond Member
Nov 14, 2003
I drive stick and love it.

Traffic sucks with a stick shift.

Driving sucks with an auto.

I'm going to hate sitting in traffic either way, so I might as well enjoy myself when I'm driving in non-traffic conditions.

maziwanka

Lifer
Jul 4, 2000
you know it really depends what your doing with the car. i would never change the stick in my vette to an automatic. however, there are times where driving an automatic is much easier (just for mindless tasks - that way i can relax more).

+ronnie

Mar 19, 2003
Originally posted by: Skoorb
Auto is for those who have given up on life, and aren't afraid to admit it.

Or....maybe just because we see a car only as a car?
rolleye.gif

I'd like to learn manual just because it may be useful to me one day, but I don't buy the "manual is more fun" idea. Of course I respect those who do, but to me a car is to get from Point A to Point B. :)

Ikonomi

Diamond Member
Dec 19, 2003
The pseudo-manumatic in my car has introduced me to the control that a stick can give you, and made me realize that automatic transmissions always shift too early, or too late. My next car (this will be many years down the road, however) will be a manual.

Ornery

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
My car came with ALL the bells & whistles, including a solid automatic. I suppose, if I drove a torqueless, econobox/speudo "sports car", I might feel the need for a manual, but I wouldn't own the POS long enough to bother, so who gives a flying fu...

Imdmn04

Platinum Member
Jan 28, 2002
For me, a car is just a transportation tool, nothing more. As long as it gets me to the place I want with the least amount of effort, I could care less how fun driving can be with a manual.

LongCoolMother

Diamond Member
Sep 4, 2001
from what i've gathered from this thread pros:

auto trans= easier to drive in traffic, hills, more comfortable overall

manual trans= fun, cool, being a "man"

true? driving auto is for practical use (ie, transportation) where stick shift is for recreation (ie, fun). is stick reall that much more fun than auto? or is that just something people say to be different? i dont know, i have yet to substantially drive a manual trans vehicle.

"drive stick and love it.

Traffic sucks with a stick shift.

Driving sucks with an auto.

I'm going to hate sitting in traffic either way, so I might as well enjoy myself when I'm driving in non-traffic conditions"