<stewie> Plutonium!! </stewie)

DnetMHZ

Diamond Member
Apr 10, 2001
I was pulling into my parking spot at work and I noticed there was a Fedex truck at the suite next to ours. (Not bad, it's only 8:15am!). I look a little closer and there is one of those
yellow diamond shaped placards (sp?) that says "Radioactive", I've never seen one of those on a fedex truck before. What could they be carrying that would require that?

Perhaps a couple hundred smoke detectors? LOL

Just found it odd.

Aug 26, 2004
Originally posted by: DnetMHZ
Originally posted by: quakefiend420
what does the business next to you do?

They are a flooring tile company.

then chances are the radioactive package wasn't for them :p

no telling where it's going or what's in it, really...

EDIT: i'm actually surprised fedex would deliver something like that...i would expect there to be some sort of regulation involving transport of stuff like...some kind of registered private courier or something

Rogue

Banned
Jan 28, 2000
He could have been carrying a cesium based atomic clock or something simple like that. An X-ray machine, etc.

AdamSnow

Diamond Member
Nov 21, 2002
Some of the UPS trucks when I worked there had that as well...

I never found out why though... It's not like we shipped any WMD's... :D

WW

Golden Member
Jun 21, 2001
medical equipment, industrial meters or test equipment.... include radio-graphic devices; smoke detectors; luminous dials and indicators; research and industrial sources (including gauges containing radioactive materials for measuring levels, thickness and density);

radiopharmaceuticals and radioisotopes used in medical applications

Aug 26, 2004
Originally posted by: Rogue
He could have been carrying a cesium based atomic clock or something simple like that. An X-ray machine, etc.

true...i guess when i think radiation the first thing that pops up is reactors and bombs...heh

Gibsons

Lifer
Aug 14, 2001
Any big biology research lab is going to use nucleotides labeled with P32, plus occasionally use of S35 or tritium. FedEx usuallly ships it.

All of the above are quite wimpy compared to Uranium, and the amounts shipped are typically quite small, about one millicurie or less.

SVT Cobra

Lifer
Mar 29, 2005
Originally posted by: Gibsons
Any big biology research lab is going to use nucleotides labeled with P32, plus occasionally use of S35 or tritium. FedEx usuallly ships it.

All of the above are quite wimpy compared to Uranium, and the amounts shipped are typically quite small, about one millicurie or less.

interesting

yukichigai

Diamond Member
Apr 23, 2003
Originally posted by: Gibsons

Also, physics and engineering labs stock up on small samples of radioactive isotopes for various testing purposes. The amount is notably small and only harmful if you, say, swallow it. (Or put it in your pocket, like a coin. They're usually coin-shaped)

So yeah, there ya go.

yukichigai

Diamond Member
Apr 23, 2003
Originally posted by: bonkers325
open it up and find out. there is a one in ten chance of getting super powers
And a nine in ten chance of getting lymphoma.

Good luck with that.