Stereo Times reviewer holding my $80k power cables for ransom

Discussion in 'Audio/Video & Home Theater' started by AudioTruth, Nov 5, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. skriefal

skriefal Golden Member

Those aren't exactly rousing endorsements.

2. cheez

cheez Golden Member

Long lines are not the culprit of bad electricity.

http://www.lessloss.com/dfpc-signature-p-199.html

[​IMG]

In that link, scroll down a little bit and start reading "Long Power Lines..." and down.

Mid / Top-end Power cables are extremely important. The only reason why I don't have them is because, I don't have money. I will have to save up for just that.

Btw, incredibly awesome thread. THANK YOU ORIGINAL POSTER! This is one of my favorites. :)

#102 cheez, Nov 9, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 9, 2012
  3. sdifox

sdifox No Lifer

lulz. You really should buy the cables Patrick82 is pushing since you are the perfect candidate. What does power transmission got to do with signal degradation? That is absolutely misdirection.

#103 sdifox, Nov 9, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 11, 2012
  4. alkemyst

alkemyst No Lifer

Here's the deal with audio. Many are paying for things they can't hear, but can be measured. There is a passion that goes into it.

First, many can't hear beyond 18k once out of their teens and 15k by the time they can afford many of these things unless lucky in life. Yet they all still want sub-sonics and 20k+ frequency responses, even in their cars which will trump perfect audio with their own noises short of six-figure luxury bubbles.

In my 20's I hung around with a bunch of audiophiles. One of our richest members bought things like $100k turn tables and he'd upgrade them in months to the next big thing.

My current Klipsch setup came from him in my first divorce when I had to sell off my $20k Definitive Technology/Rotel/Marantz/Mitsubishi setup.

I paid him $800 in 1997 (maybe 1998) for a Yamaha RX-V1050, PSB Alpha surrounds, Klipsch Quartets and a Klipsch Academy. I added a Yamaha CCD-665 changer I still own. I sold the PSB's and Academy when I moved into an apartment (I later re-bought an Academy at 3+ times what I sold mine for 10 year earlier). I sold the 1050 for a Yamaha HTR-5960. My new surrounds are Klipsch RS25's that were mainly for wife factor in nice white cabinets.

I am really happy with the setup today. I have added upgraded X-overs and diaphrams to my Klipschs.

I will be single soon since I am divorcing now, so I am sure my 'man cave' will evolve as I turn to having house parties and get-togethers.

5. cheez

cheez Golden Member

^ He's got more higher end stuff that unfortunately I can't afford...:( I would have to apply for a loan for that. Ones ranging from $1000~ $2400 I can deal with. :)

6. sdifox

sdifox No Lifer

You talking about alky or his rich friend?

7. alkemyst

alkemyst No Lifer

I'd say my friend. I just laid out I paid $800 for the system (plus the additions) and $1000-2000 would cover most of it.

This is in 1990's money: My friend at the time was just over 20 (he was younger than me at the time). Lived in a $2 Million dollar home, had probably the same amount of cars, maybe the same amount in watches and jewelry, all major clothing and shoes, dedicated audio in every room.

Trust funds from rich parents FTMFW. :(

When I bought my setup that was his worst room.

8. AudioTruth

AudioTruth Member

The reviewer has sent the cables back today.

9. uhohs

uhohs Diamond Member

you should take some sexy shots of you opening up the packages and posing with the cables. :)

10. SyndromeOCZ

SyndromeOCZ Senior member

Time to break out the Hello Kitty back drop.

11. AudioTruth

AudioTruth Member

I have gained 50 lbs of fat since my Judge power cable pictures, should I take the pictures anyway?

12. styrafoam

styrafoam Platinum Member

Do people really do this? http://www.coconut-audio.com/discontinued.htm Stick lumps of plasticine on their electronics? If they sell for that much I think i can compete price wise, but i don't know if i can keep up on the clip art front.

13. Fardringle

Fardringle Diamond Member

Didn't you know that you can actually use gravity to "suck" the static out of an electrical current? The laws of physics don't apply when dealing with super expensive audio equipment so you can do that type of thing even if it's actually impossible in this universe.

14. rommelrommel

rommelrommel Platinum Member

What about people paying for things that can't be measured or heard?

I may spring for some of these awesome USB cables tho:

http://www.coconut-audio.com/rattlesnake/computer.htm

15. rommelrommel

rommelrommel Platinum Member

This one made me LOL...

http://www.coconut-audio.com/trade.htm

"Trade-in any gear
    Our storage room is currently OPEN
    You can trade-in your used gear to us and get a full 100% retail value for them. We accept anything audio related like amps, DACs, headphones, cables, music CDs etc. It doesn't matter how much you bought them for, you will still get 100% when trading them in.

This trade-in only applies to our "Original prices" and not for any new prices, introductory offers, or used products.

Example: You own a $25,000 DAC. You can trade it for our White Night power cable ($25,000). You only pay the shipping cost both ways. You can also trade that DAC for 3 pieces of HyperSpace 4m power cables (3x $7,995)."

Yes, will you please take my 25k DAC and give me some Plasticine back...

16. sdifox

sdifox No Lifer

50 lb on a stick just makes you normal sized. Unless it's all in your head, then you would be a matchstick man.

17. Fardringle

Actually, that White Beach USB cable just might be worth the $1500 price tag...IF the girls in the picture come with it...

18. Paul98

Paul98 Diamond Member

LMAO powercables...

19. Number1

Number1 Diamond Member

I found the same thread at Electric Audio words for words.

Same user name.

Spam, no doubts now.

20. styrafoam

styrafoam Platinum Member

Bahaha they went right after him too, funny to watch them completely unload on him. Thanks for posting Audio Truth! Randomly weird stuff like this doesn't make it out to the internet at large near as much as it did 10 years ago, we owe you one.

21. Number1

Number1 Diamond Member

Cheez, read this and tel me again how your thousand dollar cable makes a difference.

Audiophile Deathmatch: Monster Cables vs. a Coat Hanger
    Gizmodo

Patrick82 on youtube

Picture of the cable.
    $80K is peanuts, he has one on sale for $200K
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Demented to say the least. I find it hard to believe people would actually fall for this and spend the money. Fascinating.

22. Number1

Number1 Diamond Member

23. AudioTruth

AudioTruth Member

Yes, because it improves the sound. Hundreds of tweaks have been sold in the past year.

24. nsafreak

nsafreak Diamond Member

Can I have your customer list? I have some plasticine and coat hangars <cough> errr.....<cough> high end audio interconnect cables that they might be interested in.

25. Fardringle

You have tweaked (i.e. scammed) hundreds of people this year? Is that really something you want to post in a public forum?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.