Steps to install a new software on SSD

Coolharmony2

Jul 6, 2012
Hello,

I have a 128 SSD Crucial M4 and a 1 tb seagate 7200.

I want install a new software on the SSD.

Step 1 : should I download the installation file on the 1 TB 7200.

Step 2 : Should I select this installation file to install the Software on the SSD.

Ken g6

Programming Moderator, Elite Member
Dec 11, 1999
Do you mean you want to install new firmware to the SSD?

Otherwise, just use the SSD like any other drive, basically. Just try to install the OS on it, but keep the swapfile off it. And if it's not formatted yet, enable AHCI in your system's BIOS before formatting.

Berryracer

Platinum Member
Oct 4, 2006
Hello,

I have a 128 SSD Crucial M4 and a 1 tb seagate 7200.

I want install a new software on the SSD.

Step 1 : should I download the installation file on the 1 TB 7200.

Step 2 : Should I select this installation file to install the Software on the SSD.

Here is how I have mine setup, I have a 256 GB SSD + 1 TB HDD

SSD partioned into:

C: = 80 GB
d : = 158 GB

HDD

E: = 1 TB (single partition)

I install Windows, my applications (like office, photoshop, browser, antivirus, etc) on C:

I keep a folder called "Software" in D : where I place all the installation setup files of all my software, this way, when I install something the installation is also fast. For example, you are instaling Adobne Photoshop CS6 whichis huge (approx 1 GB), when it copies the files from the SSD D : parititon onto the SSD C: partition, it will install much faster than if you had had the setup files on the HDD

I install a game or two also on D : since it has more space

I keep all my documents, photos, videos, etc, on E:, that's where I moved my personal folders
How to move personal folders to another partition (ie. D : or E : )

For your tiny SSD, I would make a 70 GB or 80 GB (max) for Windows, and a D : partition so you can place your software installation files, and the rest on an E: partition (your HDD)