Steps in installing new GFX card??

johnnysti08

Feb 17, 2013
Hi guys,
So i will be getting my new Radeon 7770 in a few hours, upgrading from a Nvidia 9500GT. I would like to know is there any other steps since im switching platforms other than,
Uninstalling Nvidia Drivers
Install new Card
Reboot and Install New Drivers?

jkauff

Oct 4, 2012
Obvious, but be sure to unplug from the wall outlet, not just shut down, when doing the switch. It's amazing how many people forget to do this.

MeldarthX

Golden Member
May 8, 2010
Johnny you'll want to also use like a reg cleaner - as drivers from Nvidia sometimes doesn't play nice with new stuff from AMD and visversa :)

phyxion.net/item/driver-sweeper.html this is one of the last free ones far as I know.....

So best way to do it;
remove drivers
boot into safe mode - run driver sweeper for Nvidia display drivers.
Turn off system - unplug system
remove card;
put new card in
plug system back into power
reboot and install new drivers :)

FalseChristian

Diamond Member
Jan 7, 2002
Johnny you'll want to also use like a reg cleaner - as drivers from Nvidia sometimes doesn't play nice with new stuff from AMD and visversa :)

phyxion.net/item/driver-sweeper.html this is one of the last free ones far as I know.....

So best way to do it;
remove drivers
boot into safe mode - run driver sweeper for Nvidia display drivers.
Turn off system - unplug system
remove card;
put new card in
plug system back into power
reboot and install new drivers :)

I 2nd this!

geniusloci

Mar 6, 2012
Driver cleaner crap is 5 years ago. In my experience those kinds of problems simply don't exist anymore. People are stuck on it simply because that's what they're used to doing.
Uninstall the Nvidia drivers. Power down, install the card, boot, install the new drivers.

MeldarthX

Golden Member
May 8, 2010
Why do you recommend that :confused:

Because you can still get a spike from the wall when plugged; accidently turn the system on while putting card in and fry the card *it can/has happened*

Best to just unplug the system either from wall or psu.....

Meghan54

Lifer
Oct 18, 2009
Because you can still get a spike from the wall when plugged; accidently turn the system on while putting card in and fry the card *it can/has happened*

Best to just unplug the system either from wall or psu.....

Or simply turn the switch on the ps to the off position. Lot less hassle than pulling the plug and just as effectively cuts the power to the mb.

And be very careful running any driver sweeper. They've been known to hose systems when used carelessly, esp. when removing AMD drivers, and for obvious reasons. Best choice is to simply uninstall via the program. Win 7 can handle it.

kalrith

Diamond Member
Aug 22, 2005
I 3rd the driver sweeper recommendation. I've had problems in the past when uninstalling the old and installing new drivers even with the same video card. Following MeldarthX's steps and running driver cleaner pro (old program that's not available any more) fixed those problems.

The only one that comes to mind is AMD not saving my scaling settings. I tried everything under the sun to fix it, but driver cleaner pro and then installing the new drivers were the only steps that fixed it.

I've never heard of them hosing systems. I've probably run driver cleaner pro 100 times, and I've never had any problems.

UNhooked

Golden Member
Jan 21, 2004
I have both AMD and Nvidia co-existing peacefully. At one point a driver scrub was a must, not anymore in my opinion.