Step-down transformers in Europe...

tinpanalley

Golden Member
Jul 13, 2011
I have a question about using a step-down transformer in Europe for a few devices. The situation is this...
I need to use a US model XBOX 360 and PS3 and some other small A/V devices in France. So, 110V-60Hz devices in 220V-50Hz Europe. Two options:
- replace the PSUs/power blocks and plug straight into the wall
- or I can get a high wattage step-down transformer and a US power bar and just run everything into that.
What I need expert/professional advice on is, with the proper wattage is there anything wrong at all with keeping the devices ona step-down transformer using their US power supplies/cables? Or is it preferable to get European power supplies/cables? Is one preferable to the other?

Thank you!

Last edited:

Railgun

Golden Member
Mar 27, 2010
The PS3 is universal. I have a US PS3 here in London. It's fine.

As for the Xbox...don't have one so I can't comment on it. Doesn't it have an external brick? In which case, just buy a new brick.

tinpanalley

Golden Member
Jul 13, 2011
For financial reasons, trying to save some money, I think I'll have to go with the transformer actually because it will serve as the supply for several devices, not all at once of course. I was just looking at my PS3 and the sticker with power specs clearly says it's 120-60 only. But that may just be something they put on by law regardless of what the PSU actually is.

ND40oz

Golden Member
Jul 31, 2004
I ran everything through a step down transformer in the UK, ran a power conditioner to the transformer and ran the 360/PS3/Wii/receiver off of it.

tinpanalley

Golden Member
Jul 13, 2011
Oh, I didn't think I needed a power conditioner... Hadn't thought about that. Is it necessary?
And the 360/PS3/Wii receiver you mentioned, is it some kind of input selector?

jskumar

Apr 28, 2018
I bought a sewing machine to India from the US and it works in 110v, 60hz. Can you please recommend, the stepdown transformer specification with relevant watt requirement for this machine. --thanks