Steam

olds

Elite Member
Mar 3, 2000
When I signed up for Steam, I lived in an area with cable internet. We have moved and now we have satellite. I have a download limit as part of my user agreement with the satellite company and downloading games, with my other internet usage, would violate that agreement. They would throttle my bandwidth or lock my account.
Is it possible for me to log into Steam from a computer with broadband (my brother's), download games and then burn them to a disc to install on my computer?
Or can I buy CDs directly form Steam?
They aren't installed any more because I built a new Vista rig from XP and didn't try to Ghost the hdd.

I am pretty sure the answer to both questions is no, but you never know...

Oil

Diamond Member
Aug 31, 2005
What games are you trying to download from Steam? If they are well known games (HL1/2, CS 1.6/CS:S, DoD, etc.), talk to Valve and maybe they could send you the discs for free or for a small fee. I don't think they could help you with games not made by Valve, however (ex: Call of Duty)

olds

Elite Member
Mar 3, 2000
Actually, all versions of Half Life which I already purchased, but I wanted to buy some new games too.

mrblotto

Golden Member
Jul 7, 2007
Couldn't you just log onto Steam at someone elses computer, then download the games, then make a backup to CDR/DVDR? I guess you would just have to remember to NOT check the 'remember my password' or whatever it is for you to log onto STEAM.....

Edit: LOL....that's basically what the OP is saying......d'oh! I would say you should be able to do that

olds

Elite Member
Mar 3, 2000
Originally posted by: mrblotto
Couldn't you just log onto Steam at someone elses computer, then download the games, then make a backup to CDR/DVDR? I guess you would just have to remember to NOT check the 'remember my password' or whatever it is for you to log onto STEAM.....

Edit: LOL....that's basically what the OP is saying......d'oh! I would say you should be able to do that

Ya, that's what I am saying. ;)
It's been a while since I downloaded my games and I don't recall if you can save them to a disk. I also don't know if there is some type of "DRM" that would keep you from doing it.

Oil

Diamond Member
Aug 31, 2005
Originally posted by: oldsmoboat

It's been a while since I downloaded my games and I don't recall if you can save them to a disk. I also don't know if there is some type of "DRM" that would keep you from doing it.

Steam Backup Feature

AsianriceX

Golden Member
Dec 30, 2001
Originally posted by: OSx86

Steam Backup Feature

Also, be aware that sometimes the backup doesn't create the restore executable. I've had this happen twice myself, so I ended up downloading a small demo game like Defcon, creating a backup of that game so I could get the backup executable, and dropping that into my original backup folder.

I've heard it's much easier to just copy the GCF files in your steamapps directory instead of using the backup utility.

http://www.neowin.net/forum/lo...index.php/t377356.html

Oakenfold

Diamond Member
Feb 8, 2001
Let us know how it goes, I need to do just this and have gotten tired of DL'ing everything after formatting.
:thumbsup:

Trevelyan

Diamond Member
Dec 10, 2000
Here's what I do:

1) Backup the *.gcf files in C:\Steam\steamapps

2) Download and install Steam from steampowered.com

3) Replace *.gcf files to the same directory

4) Use Steam account like before

That's it! You'll lose your game settings, but all the files you need to play are there.

olds

Elite Member
Mar 3, 2000
Originally posted by: OSx86

Steam Backup Feature

The Back up feature only works on games already installed. Maybe I can do this.

1. Take external USB hdd to brother's house.
2. Download games to external hdd.
2a. Install to external hhd and play that way.
2b. Install to my computer via the external hdd.

If I have them on the external drive, I'd never lose them from a format.
But, will performance suffer?

novasatori

Diamond Member
Feb 27, 2003
just do it that way you said, but when you get home install steam again on your c:
then copy the steam\steamapps folder to your other computer

or another way could be to install steam on your brother's C:\ then copy the steam install to the external HD
then install steam on your C:\ then copy the entire steam folder from the external drive to yours...

I've done it and it always works, as long as you install steam first so you get all the reg keys etc.

hdeck

Lifer
Sep 26, 2002
download the games on a broadband computer. copy the gcf files from the steamapps folder to your external hdd. hook up the hdd to your pc at home. copy the gfc files over to the steamapps folder on your pc. then play.

i'm sure you know this, but gl playing online games w/ satellite.

olds

Elite Member
Mar 3, 2000
Originally posted by: hdeck
download the games on a broadband computer. copy the gcf files from the steamapps folder to your external hdd. hook up the hdd to your pc at home. copy the gfc files over to the steamapps folder on your pc. then play.

i'm sure you know this, but gl playing online games w/ satellite.

Ya, I don't play online any more. WISP is getting closer though.