Discussion Steam Winter/Holiday Sale 2019

GodisanAtheist

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2006
Wow, so no thread yet eh?

Guess the late Autumn sale took some of the wind out of this one, but the Winter sale has always been my favorite since it's an easy way for me to gift games to some of my friends that live at a distance for Christmas.

Most items look pretty straightforward and the badges appear to be directly linked to how much you pay.

Also have the voting in the steam awards, some interesting options in there, and a number of games on my wishlist were nominated, so I wonder how folks feel about the contestants (I understand that the awards don't really mean anything given how the games were selected in the first place).

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
they marked down Cuphead 30 percent, I will bite.

Also, Sims 3 is actually a lot of fun and at 75% off I highly recommend.
Keep in mind its not as well optimized as Sims 4. When you play a given game (household) for a really long time it eventually gets glitchy and theres no effective way to fix it. You just need to start a new household.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
Battletech is 66 percent off but that game is HARD!
Consider your patience carefully. You will be replaying levels a lot.

PianoMan

Jan 28, 2006
Love Battletech, but I agree some (most) missions are uber-challenging. To avoid replaying missions, just select Ironman made, burn out early, and have a shot of bourbon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Stg-Flame

Diamond Member
Mar 10, 2007
Which games that support Linux that also are on sale?
Why not just get a gaming PC? My buddy used to be the same way ever since he switched to Linux, but he finally got tired of not being able to play a lot of games and built a new gaming rig with Windows 10. I think his Linux rig is sitting in his garage now.

For me, I'm still trying to catch up with my backlog while I wait for the big titles next April, so I'm not buying anything over $10. I grabbed Rimworld a few months ago and I still haven't put it down with only 91 hours logged so far (of which, 85 of those hours have been spent on my second colony). There's a few others that keep popping up on my wishlist for around $10 that are taunting me, but until I knock down my backlog significantly, it's rather pointless to keep buying like I used to.

whm1974

Diamond Member
Jul 24, 2016
Why not just get a gaming PC? My buddy used to be the same way ever since he switched to Linux, but he finally got tired of not being able to play a lot of games and built a new gaming rig with Windows 10. I think his Linux rig is sitting in his garage now.

For me, I'm still trying to catch up with my backlog while I wait for the big titles next April, so I'm not buying anything over $10. I grabbed Rimworld a few months ago and I still haven't put it down with only 91 hours logged so far (of which, 85 of those hours have been spent on my second colony). There's a few others that keep popping up on my wishlist for around $10 that are taunting me, but until I knock down my backlog significantly, it's rather pointless to keep buying like I used to.
I already have a gaming machine, it just happens to run Linux.:p:p:p Despite what Windows Folks believe, Linux is a capable gaming platform.

dmoney1980

Platinum Member
Jan 17, 2008
Is Hitman 2 any good? Never played the others and I’m looking for something different as I’ve exhausted FPS at the moment.

GodisanAtheist

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2006

-Its funny that since I can see my own backlog,I tend to do the same and buy games that are $10 and under if I really want it, or $5 and under if it's on my wishlist and happens to be that price... But when gifting games to friends and I will happily spend $20-30 dollars on a single game, despite waiting for those same games to go on a deep discount before I pick them up.

Weird how that works...

Stg-Flame

Diamond Member
Mar 10, 2007
Despite what Windows Folks believe, Linux is a capable gaming platform.
If that were true, you wouldn't have asked which titles are on sale that can be run on Linux. Don't get me wrong, I like using Linux but if I want to play video games, there's no reason why I would try to play them on my Linux machine since Windows is compatible with almost everything.

-Its funny that since I can see my own backlog,I tend to do the same and buy games that are $10 and under if I really want it, or $5 and under if it's on my wishlist and happens to be that price... But when gifting games to friends and I will happily spend $20-30 dollars on a single game, despite waiting for those same games to go on a deep discount before I pick them up.
I refuse to buy games at full price (except for Rimworld which has a caveat) since they all go on sale eventually. If I didn't have a huge backlog, I would probably be grabbing games sooner but as it stands, waiting has a lot more benefits than just paying less. You don't have to deal with day 1 glitches and bugs and by the time I get around to buying a game, it usually has a ton of DLC bundled with the base game.

rivethead

Platinum Member
Jan 16, 2005
My backlog is too big, so I'm not buying anything. Well, anything except Adventures of Van Helsing. It's a $1.49 and I'll make most of that selling the daily Steam holiday cards.....

Mai72

Lifer
Sep 12, 2012
I bought The Evil Within w/ addons- $10
Age of Mythology w/ addon $8

I used to love AoM back in the day. Still seems fun, but hasn't aged all too well. Evil Within is very fun. Enjoying that game very much. I was going to purchase RE:2 I just don't want to spend $20
Maybe sometime later.

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006
Some possible buys I don't need with this backlog:

We Happy Few $32
Fantasy General II $30
Total War Warhammer II $15
Borderlands 3 $35
Outer Worlds $40
Disco Elysium $32
Vampyr $17
Fell Seel: Arbiter's Mark $15

Stg-Flame

Diamond Member
Mar 10, 2007
20% off for Humble subscribers.
With Rimworld, it was originally $60 but the developers dropped it to $35 and said there will never be a Steam sale for it again since they permanently reduced the price. If it's even cheaper on Humble, I highly suggest anyone interested to grab it.

GodisanAtheist

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2006
Steam Winter sale is where I end up with my backlog. Already in a mental place where spending a bit is ok, not to mention some gift giving:

Picked up:
SW: Battlefront 2 ($4)
Grim Dawn ($5)
Spec Ops: The Line ($6)
Inside ($6)
Titans Quest Anniversary ($4)

Was Gifted:
Halo MC Collection
Into the Breach

Ranulf

Platinum Member
Jul 18, 2001
With Rimworld, it was originally $60 but the developers dropped it to $35 and said there will never be a Steam sale for it again since they permanently reduced the price. If it's even cheaper on Humble, I highly suggest anyone interested to grab it.

I'd recommend buying straight from the Rimworld website. The devs will give you the drm free version and a steam key. You lose out of the discount but no DRM. Game is worth it in my opinion.

Stg-Flame

Diamond Member
Mar 10, 2007
Not sure why you would fuss over DRM with a single-player game that isn't being updated anymore. Rimworld doesn't force any unnecessary third-party-programs on anyone and doesn't require additional logins.

Ranulf

Platinum Member
Jul 18, 2001
Uh, when did Ludeon quit doing updates? I didn't know that the Steam version will run without Steam installed. Good to know though.

Stg-Flame

Diamond Member
Mar 10, 2007
According to the Steam discussions, they abandoned the game and calling it complete (which it is). There's some minor bugs and glitches and some QoL improvements I'd like to see, but the amount of mods available for the game is staggering.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
Was just looking thru the store and realized CS GO is now 7 years old.
Not saying its a good game, just commenting on how quickly time flies.

On an unrelated note: Still wondering when they plan on giving us a new Half Life, Team Fortress, and Portal.