Steam Weekend Deal: Borderlands 50 off

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

coloumb

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
"Boarderlands"!?!?! ;)

Game is "ok" single player but is a lot of fun if you are playing with 3 other *friends*

spacelord

Platinum Member
Oct 11, 2002
ok, this is strange. I went to steam to view the Borderlands info and accidentally selected the wrong year.. it jumped back to 2010 for my age. Now every time I try and view Borderlands it says Sorry, but you're not permitted to view these materials at this time. Any clues how to reset that? I'm definitely of age.
n/m. Had to completely exit Steam and restart it.

Last edited:

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
I think the only complaint you can really make about the story is it really isn't fleshed out too well in the main quest line. Not to mention, the game (unlike some RP(G)s) pretty much requires you to do at least a good portion of the side missions or your level will be too low. If you do them all, chances are you'll be a level or two above everything (which is what I am).

If you play WoW or enjoy a bit of grindy questing, you'll like it. One big boon for the game is that the game is "edgy." The dialog is fairly amusing at times.

mfenn

Elite Member
Jan 17, 2010
www.mfenn.com
People really don't understand this game. It's simple: if you're a loot whore who creams your pants at the sight of big numbers and colorful, randomly named guns, you'll love it. If you like actual gameplay instead of playing an item lottery, you won't.

+1

Chaotic42

Lifer
Jun 15, 2001
Even with friends this game is too bad to play. I got it for free as a gift from one of my buddies and *I* feel ripped off. I'm giving him his money back.

mfenn

Elite Member
Jan 17, 2010
www.mfenn.com
Yeah the story is a bit lacking and its a loot-grind game but thats the same as Diablo and its hard to find people knocking it.

If you play WoW or enjoy a bit of grindy questing, you'll like it. One big boon for the game is that the game is "edgy." The dialog is fairly amusing at times.

These are the key points. The game is singleplayer WoW. Here's a sample of the "gameplay":

1. Get a quest from an NPC you don't give a shit about
  2. Walk/drive a long-ass way to another samey location
  3. Engage in some very dull consolized shooting (shit is majorly dumbed down in order to let gamepads keep up)
  4. Pick up a new gun
  5. Bang your head against the incredibly shitty menu system trying to figure out if the new gun is marginally better than the old one (I mean, really, who came up with this shit? Why doesn't the game auto-compare the gun in my inventory? It does it before I pick it up. Why can't I click on shit to sell it? Why do I have to confirm every single goddamn action that I take?)
  6. Return to boring ass NPC to complete quest
  7. Go into a homicidal rage at the stupid robot who has like 3 lines
  8. Repeat x11ty billion
Full disclosure: I bought the game for $33 during the Steam Christmas sale. I have never felt so ripped off in my life. This is coming from a guy who paid full price for Outpost 2.

Last edited:

Nintendesert

Diamond Member
Mar 28, 2010
The game is a lot of fun if you play with someone you know. It's a social game. The loot whoring is fun if that's what you enjoy, it's like a 1st person Diablo type game where the loot drives the desire to kill more stuff.

If that's not the kind of stuff you like, you won't like Borderlands. I though do and did. The writing is funny and so is the presentation.

Chaotic42

Lifer
Jun 15, 2001
Yahtzee's review of FF13 was gold.

Yeah, it was harsh. I know it's cliche to just post some internet video/site/meme as a personal opinion, but it's almost scary how similarly we view games. Of all of the games he's reviewed that I've played, I've thought he was 100% correct.

It's creepy, but at least now I'll hopefully buy fewer games that I don't like.

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
I ended up beating the game last night (or rather early this morning) and decided to hit up the Zombie Island of Dr. Ned. If you like Left 4 Dead, you might like that expansion, but it does one thing very, very wrong...

There are no teleport stations...

Now, in a way, being able to teleport around somewhat ruins the idea of a "zombie survival game", but eventually these zombies are going to be vastly inferior to me level-wise and mostly just become a nuisance as I head back to NPCs such as Dr. Ned and T.K. Baha. I've only gone through a few zones and I haven't seen a single one yet (other than the one I came to Jakob's Cove with), so I'm assuming there probably isn't one.

Speaking of the teleport stations... why in the world aren't the teleport locations categorized by zone?

Oh well, gunna go finish DLC1 and probably go start DLC3 if I'm within the level range... if not, it's off to Play #2 or starting a new character! I saved some weapons in my Siren's bank to give to a new character :D.

fatpat268

Diamond Member
Jan 14, 2006
I almost jumped on this last night. Sounds like it's still not really worth it, even at that price? :hmm:

KT

I dunno. I got the game at launch and did two playthroughs. It definitely wasn't the best game I've ever played, but I was interested enough to put ~20 hours into the game.

That said, though, I have ZERO interest in ever playing the game again. While fun for a while, it does eventually wear out its welcome.

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000
I ended up buying it. I've bought shit games for twice that so at least its not a huge loss if I don't like it.

FuryofFive

Golden Member
Sep 7, 2005
is anyone interested in playing online? my xfire is xxfuryoffivexx , id like to do another play through either with the small guy or the girl

AyashiKaibutsu

Diamond Member
Jan 24, 2004
It's a mamorpaga, but without the appeal of being massive. Way too grindy for what it is. A good game like this will be D2 grindy, but this is more like WoW grindy. Not that WoW grindy is bad in the right game, but this isn't it.

Borealis7

Platinum Member
Oct 19, 2006
its a great game, lots of fun, beat it twice now solo. i've had lots of fun as a sniper, that's just my game style.