Steam: The save file on your local PC differs from the one on the Steam Cloud...

SunnyD

Belgian Waffler
Jan 2, 2001
www.neftastic.com
Would you like to sync the version on your PC with the Steam Cloud...

OR

Would you like to sync the version on the Steam Cloud with your PC...

OR

Do Nothing.

I wrote this post intentionally like this. I was playing Borderlands 2 the other day, and for whatever reason at some point yesterday, the last session I had didn't sync. What you see above is pretty much verbatim what the Steam dialog box said.

Better yet, it also tells you if you sync one way or other, you may lose progress in the game, but nowhere does it tell you WHICH SAVE FILE IS NEWER so you can at least try to make an informed decision on which one to overwrite!!! Because that would absolutely and totally NOT be useful at all to determine which option to chose, would it?

Also, it doesn't tell you at all that choosing "Do Nothing" means you don't get to play at all and it aborts launching the game completely.

I don't think they thought this one through very well.

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000
I always choose the version that is on my PC.

How could a cloud version be more current than your local version?

this happened to me once, i picked the local option since i assumed like you did that the local copy would have to be newer. turns out I was wrong and lost a bunch of progress.

AlexAL

Jan 23, 2008
this happened to me once, i picked the local option since i assumed like you did that the local copy would have to be newer. turns out I was wrong and lost a bunch of progress.

ditto. I picked the local version also once, and it was older.

WiseUp216

Platinum Member
Mar 12, 2012
www.heatware.com
ditto. I picked the local version also once, and it was older.

Strange. I get this message around 1/10 times that I load up Borderlands 2. I've never lost any progress.

I've always assumed that anytime a save was uploaded to the cloud that it was also saved locally. Then, if you exited the game and saved locally during an interrupted connection (happens a lot with BL2), the prompt would show up the next time you played.

Another instance of why I dislike all of this 'cloud' nonsense. :thumbsdown:

darkewaffle

Diamond Member
Oct 7, 2005
I always choose the version that is on my PC.

How could a cloud version be more current than your local version?

It would be for anyone who plays on more than one PC at least.

And yea, I ran into the same problem with BL2 a few weeks ago. I got disconnected from Steam for like 30 seconds and chose "cloud" since I had just reconnected for the rest of the session but lost a few hours of play anyway. Annoying when something as simple as a time stamp in the dialogue or an automated backup of your local save before it gets overwritten would seem like a simple fix that goes a long way.

NoCreativity

Golden Member
Feb 28, 2008
I took a shot in the dark and got lucky, think I chose local.

It did tell me that if I chose "Do Nothing" it would abort the game.