[Steam Survey] GTX460 passes up hd5850 and hd5870

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

notty22

Diamond Member
Jan 1, 2010
ah, found it. post was 2 days ago, but rebate apperas to be good until may 1. looks like this $90 AR deal is more "on" than "off"...

$90 AR galaxy gtx 460 - 768 deal

Your arguing a point with the absolute minority example. There is one card with a huge rebate, while there are 18 other models at newegg still at 150-199.
I would say the avg price without rebate paid for a gtx 460 of any type would be 180.00 - 200.00
The avg 5850 probably was 290.00
The avg 5870 360.00
For the majority of cards that make up those Steam %'s.

edit: Also for people questioning Nvidia making money on the gtx 460, they made thier own label brand at Best Buy and charge 299.99 for them. Thats along side 200 dollar 5770's ,so its all relevant.

Last edited:

SlowSpyder

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
...and this is where nitpicking starts picking up more nits. Not personally attacking, just want to make a point.

That 460 is just 192-bit, with only 768 megs. On the positive side, it's not an SE card, so it has 336 stream procs. Bump up $15 and get a Palit that is 256-bit with a gig, but you drop your stream procs to 288.

If you want the best of all worlds, the cheapest right now is the GIGABYTE GV-N460OC-1GI at $170 AR (some will argue, "Hey, didn't you see the MSI for a couple-bucks cheaper?" Why yes, I did see that card...I am also well aware of the success rate with MSI rebates).

I believe there are similar differences with the AMD offerings...I just don't know what they are. But anyway, we can't be too broad in comparing cards based on their GPU designation.

Back to the topic...not surprised. My primary box is still rocking an 8800GTX/768, and I will be accepting delivery later today of a GIGABYTE GV-N460OC-1GI that will be going in the primary HTPC. In the old days my 6800 was near or at the top of their list, too...it was a vanilla 6800 AGP, but I unlocked it, so it was probably counted as a GT.

This is in fact on topic...

A poster pointed out that GTX460's can be had for around half the price of the 5850 and 5870 cards. Someone quoted him and wanted to know where a GTX460 can be found for that as he seemed to not believe it. For the purpose of this discussion, where GTX460's are all clumped together in the Steam survery (and I think the 58xx - including the 5830 - are also clumped together, but I cannot get to that link from work to double check on that), a GTX460 is a GTX460 is a GTX460.

Skurge

Diamond Member
Aug 17, 2009
Your arguing a point with the absolute minority example. There is one card with a huge rebate, while there are 18 other models at newegg still at 150-199.
I would say the avg price without rebate paid for a gtx 460 of any type would be 180.00 - 200.00
The avg 5850 probably was 290.00
The avg 5870 360.00
For the majority of cards that make up those Steam %'s.

The 5850 launched at 260 and was raised to 280, add the price gouging even when the 460 came out, the were still over $300.

The 5870 launched at 380 and were raised to 400 with the gouging for good measure.

arkcom

Golden Member
Mar 25, 2003
And the first three words of the last paragraph were, "Back to the topic". But thanks for contributing anyways...

That's four words. My post was fully on topic anyway. Maybe you should try contributing.

Phynaz

Lifer
Mar 13, 2006
(2) Probably even more interesting than the 460 vs. 5800 comparison is that the 460's natural competition, the 6850/6870, doesn't even make the top 44 list. That's crazy, and just goes to show the marketing power (and initial pricing advantage) of Nvidia's card.

What's the date on the survey (Steam is blocked at work)? If I recall the Steam surveys are a couple of months behind.

So I wouldn't be surprised if a card that was brand new back then didn't show up yet.

tincart

Apr 15, 2010
Market share, or more precisely the change up or down, is an incredibly important statistic. A change of only a few % points, either up or down, will make or break careers in the corporate world.

From my point of view, I don't care who has a career. I was an investor in AMD at one point and may be again so I want to see good margins and profits. If a company is willing to fire executives for making the good business decision of sacrificing some market share to make more money, I probably won't be interested in buying in.

tincart

Apr 15, 2010
Has anyone ever really proven that size of the chip has any factor on cost of a product?

As I understand, the main factor in chip size is yield. The larger the chip, the less chips you can fit on a wafer and thus, assuming a random distribution of defects over the wafer, the more chips will be bad. The bigger the chip, the less fully functional chips you get out of each wafer and thus your manufacturing cost increases.

Yield isn't the only factor in the margin on a chip, but I think it's a pretty big one.

3DVagabond

Lifer
Aug 10, 2009
From my point of view, I don't care who has a career. I was an investor in AMD at one point and may be again so I want to see good margins and profits. If a company is willing to fire executives for making the good business decision of sacrificing some market share to make more money, I probably won't be interested in buying in.

Trust me, you don't want to see shrinking market share.

tincart

Apr 15, 2010
Trust me, you don't want to see shrinking market share.

Overall, no. But we're not talking about absolute decline of market share. The 5870/50 were new products and only part of the total product line. What would the market share of 5870/50 shrink relative to? Nothing, there's nothing to compare.

The people coming up with the pricing probably did market research and made a report arguing that they would get x % of the market share at y $'s per unit. If they ended up getting to significantly less of the market than anticipated, then they would have a problem. Given AMD's constant self-acclaim on the sales of the 5xxx line, I think they ended up quite happy with how they sold compared to projections.

3DVagabond

Lifer
Aug 10, 2009
Overall, no. But we're not talking about absolute decline of market share. The 5870/50 were new products and only part of the total product line. What would the market share of 5870/50 shrink relative to? Nothing, there's nothing to compare.

The people coming up with the pricing probably did market research and made a report arguing that they would get x % of the market share at y $'s per unit. If they ended up getting to significantly less of the market than anticipated, then they would have a problem. Given AMD's constant self-acclaim on the sales of the 5xxx line, I think they ended up quite happy with how they sold compared to projections.

I'm talking about nVidia. I agree, AMD graphics division is doing well.

Termie

Diamond Member
Aug 17, 2005
www.techbuyersguru.com
What's the date on the survey (Steam is blocked at work)? If I recall the Steam surveys are a couple of months behind.

So I wouldn't be surprised if a card that was brand new back then didn't show up yet.

Date of the Steam Survey is Feb. 2011. The 6800-series came out in October, GTX460 came out in July, so that's a 3-month head start. Still seems the 6800-series should be higher. AMD could have pressed the value proposition a little harder at the beginning - 6850s were in the $190 range (above MSRP) for far too long.

tincart

Apr 15, 2010
I'm talking about nVidia. I agree, AMD graphics division is doing well.

I would be interested in their recent market share numbers. I made a ridiculous amount of money off their 2007 stock split. There have definitely been times when they have rewarded their investors well.

That said, I think we will be seeing an absolute decline of market for this year, particularly with further losses in mobile.

Absolution75

Dec 3, 2007
Eh, has anyone ever thought that because they were old high end cards, people upgraded from them?

High end users upgrade to new high end cards. Mid range passes an old high end card? How is this surprising again? # of mid range cards are way higher than high end cards....

And also the fact that the 786 version can be held for under $100 regularly...

tincart

Apr 15, 2010
High end users upgrade to new high end cards. Mid range passes an old high end card? How is this surprising again? # of mid range cards are way higher than high end cards....

Not necessarily. My last card was a 4890, which was the high end single-GPU card from ATi. My current card is a 1GB GTX 460 which is the mid-range GPU of the last generation from nV. I bought both cards because they were below $200 at the time of purchase. When I go to buy a new video card my budget is always $200 and I get the card that performs best in the games I currently play.

Spike

Diamond Member
Aug 27, 2001
Can you manually update your data on the survey? It has not asked me since my 8800GTX 512 days and that was 3 video cards ago.

All that being said I'm not surprised by the data, the GTX 460 was, and still is though to a lesser extent, a stellar value. If your playing at 1080p it's hard to go wrong with that card for just about all your needs right now.

notty22

Diamond Member
Jan 1, 2010
I wonder if AMD cards are automatically counted if using the AMD auto driver update utility. I'm sure AMD is interested in the numbers at the very least.

Zanovar

Diamond Member
Jan 21, 2011
I wonder if AMD cards are automatically counted if using the AMD auto driver update utility. I'm sure AMD is interested in the numbers at the very least.
ffs,who cares...,put your green knickers in the wash,and dance naked i guess

Absolution75

Dec 3, 2007
Not necessarily. My last card was a 4890, which was the high end single-GPU card from ATi. My current card is a 1GB GTX 460 which is the mid-range GPU of the last generation from nV. I bought both cards because they were below $200 at the time of purchase. When I go to buy a new video card my budget is always $200 and I get the card that performs best in the games I currently play.

To clarify, I was referring to specifically high end cards of the previous generation - not 2 generations ago.

I do wish that we see values like the HD4890 again soon. That card was a bargain.

Elixer

Lifer
May 7, 2002
Steam's "survey" is bullocks.

Have you guys seen what kind of information it collects about your system ?
It isn't only hardware, it is also software, and non steam titles.
That is why I, and lots of other people don't participate in this "survey".
That is also why the results are skewed, and people shouldn't really compare results with previous results.

OCGuy

Lifer
Jul 12, 2000
460 is a strong card all-around. I would not go as far as saying it is the new 8800GT, but it is what nV partners were looking for after a GT200(b) and Fermi launch with no real "mainstream" offerings.