Steam Summer Sale trading cards thread

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

balloonshark

Diamond Member
Jun 5, 2008
I still have a Dominic to give. I haven't traded card before so make it easy for me.

Last edited:

gorobei

Diamond Member
Jan 7, 2007
some interesting thoughts in retrospect.

if at the start of the event you sold each card on market as soon as you got it, you would probably make $5-$7.

if you wait until near the end of the event when the cards are about to expire you will find them selling for the bare minimum of $.03 (.01 for the seller, .02 valve tax). you could buy a set of 10 for 30cents.

you could effectively buy 10-20 sets at the end, craft them into badge level ups, and still make a marginal profit.

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006
thanks, balloon. Funny, I thought the badge limit was 5, but I did 5 and it seems to still allow another if I had the cards.

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006
So, with 20 minutes left, I decided maybe I'll put in low offers for the cards for a 6th badge, and since you need steam wallet money for that, and Steam almost forced using the little balance from selling a few cards on each game purchase, I had to buy $5.00 for the wallet.

OK, done. Go to place order. Um, Steam says your account is not allowed to use the market. The small print eventually says, since you made a credit card purchase for the wallet, it's a few days to confirm the funds, and until then you can't use the market. I couldn't even sell the cards I had, which seems absurd.

Steam offers some 'fast verification process' which has them place 2 holds on the card and you have to contact the card company and find out how much and enter them.

I actually got that done in time.

So, with 5 minutes left, I put in some orders to buy for .05. Surprisingly, the card value had held steady at about 8 cents for days, up to this last day and hour and 10 minutes of the sale. More surprisingly, as it got to like 2 minutes left, not one of the .05 buys went through, so all I could do was a quick convert to gems in the last minute.