Steam Summer Sale 2019

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Stg-Flame

Diamond Member
Mar 10, 2007
I honestly bought more games for people on my friend's list than I bought for myself. I only ended up grabbing Farcry 5 for myself and bought about 14 games for various people. The only one I'm on the fence about is Risk of Rain 2 since a lot of people on my friend's list are playing it, but I have an obligation to myself to never purchase another early access game again. I still haven't beaten They Are Billions, so only buying one game this sale was a good call. Not to mention I'm also playing Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night on the PS4 (kinda wish I bought it on PC for the better graphics and less lag, but oh well).

Also, if anyone here loved Castlevania: Symphony of the Night, I highly suggest (actually I demand) that you buy Bloodstained: RoTN. It's made by the same guy who made SoTN and is a proper spiritual successor to SoTN. The game is outstanding and it's on Steam right now.

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
Dang it...between the Steam sale and Origin...I managed to fill up my 1tb NVME drive :eek:...had to move a bunch of stuff to my 2tb HDD... o_O

SMOGZINN

Lifer
Jun 17, 2005
Dang it...between the Steam sale and Origin...I managed to fill up my 1tb NVME drive :eek:...had to move a bunch of stuff to my 2tb HDD... o_O
Did you know that you don't have to install all the games you buy? You can play a few games, uninstall them, and install a few more to play.

How many games will you realistically get around to playing in the next few weeks? That is all you really need to install. Personally, I can't manage to have more than about 4 games going at once or I end up feeling like I am not getting anywhere on any of them.

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
I guess my haul was pretty light overall. I think the hardest thing for me when buying games is whether or not a game will end up in a Humble Bundle or a Humble Monthly. Arguably, the "safest" thing for me to do is focus more on niche titles such as VR games as they're far less likely to be included.

I ended up picking up the following...
  • UNO
  • Street Fighter V (+ all three character packs)
  • CrossCode
  • Shantae 1/2 Genie Hero Ultimate Edition (from Humble Store)
I was a bit hesitant on Street Fighter V given that I could see the game eventually being part of a bundle, and I wasn't sure if I wanted the character packs or just wanted to start off light with the $7.50 base game. But Street Fighter was my first fighting game, and I kind of wanted to try the latest one.

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
Did you know that you don't have to install all the games you buy? You can play a few games, uninstall them, and install a few more to play.

How many games will you realistically get around to playing in the next few weeks? That is all you really need to install. Personally, I can't manage to have more than about 4 games going at once or I end up feeling like I am not getting anywhere on any of them.

OMFG! What a concept! :p
And, yes, once I give them a try, if I'm not crazy about them, I uninstall them. I've already uninstalled a few from Origin.

SMOGZINN

Lifer
Jun 17, 2005
OMFG! What a concept! :p
And, yes, once I give them a try, if I'm not crazy about them, I uninstall them. I've already uninstalled a few from Origin.

I was mostly just taking the piss. I had to explan this to my 16 year old stepson this weekend when he complained to me that both his 1TB SSD and 2TB spinning drive was now full because of all the games he got between the steam sells and the year of Humble Monthly Bundles I bough him for his Birthday last year. I laughed at him because he probably has 200 games installed and the only game I ever actually see him play is League of Legends.

GodisanAtheist

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2006
For the first time in the history of Steam sales... I actually didn't buy a single damn game. I actually "played" the race more than I considered ever actually buying games.

Played some Torchlight 2, Beat Republic Commando, and just fired up Psychonauts.

Didn't. Buy. A. Single. Game.

I still cannot believe it.

EXCellR8

Diamond Member
Sep 1, 2010
I believe it. Steam's been flooded with trashware for years now. They've resorted to having to make a game out of it in order to appeal to people with nothing better to do.

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006
I forgot to buy more games I was looking at. Probably for the best, but no Pathfinder for a while.

ImpulsE69

Lifer
Jan 8, 2010
I didn't buy any either. There were quite a few I was interested in, but there will be another sale before I have time to actually play anything new.

clamum

Lifer
Feb 13, 2003
I picked up Sniper Elite 4, Surviving Mars, and Tropico 6.

As if I needed any more games. Out of the newest three games I have: Battlefield V, Metro Exodus, and Division 2, I've played played a total of two hours since I got them. I'm basically a no-game pussy these days. fml

balloonshark

Diamond Member
Jun 5, 2008
I also didn't buy a single game during the sale. Even doing the work to earn credits didn't seem worth it considering the effort it required. Better deals can be found elsewhere 95% of the time anyways so not a big deal.

Stg-Flame

Diamond Member
Mar 10, 2007
I would be fine with the little minigame stuff to earn points or coins or whateverthehell it was this sale, if it gave you tasks for games you currently had installed. This might not be a huge deal for some, but with 400+ games in my library and some of them 30+GBs, and despite my fast internet, I'm not going to redownload/install a game I'm not playing, load an old save, then do some remedial task just to earn a few hundred points; especially when just a simple (albeit ugly) background was 1,000 points.

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
Weird, I didn't do anything to earn credits other than joining Team Corgi, and I ended up with around 45,000 points (i.e. three $5 credits).

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
I joined that team too and I don't think I earned any points.

Strange. I don't think I played any associated games, and I ended up with a bunch of points. (The only game I played during the event was Beat Saber.)

rivethead

Platinum Member
Jan 16, 2005
Weird, I didn't do anything to earn credits other than joining Team Corgi, and I ended up with around 45,000 points (i.e. three $5 credits).

I joined team Corgi too......I forgot about that. I'm guessing maybe you were one of the random winners (I think they selected several each day).

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
I joined team Corgi too......I forgot about that. I'm guessing maybe you were one of the random winners (I think they selected several each day).

Oh... I kind of wish I would've won the free games, but I'll take what I get. :p

jimbotronics

Jul 4, 2018
I got 3 games/DLC :

Pro Pinball Ultra
Pinball Arcade Stern pack 2
Zaccaria Pinball Campaign Mode DLC

Think the theme there is obvious - only (re)discovered digital pinball in the 2018 summer sale. Its surprising how fun it is; for most people new to it I'd recommend starting with the Williams packs in FX3.

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006
I also didn't buy a single game during the sale. Even doing the work to earn credits didn't seem worth it considering the effort it required. Better deals can be found elsewhere 95% of the time anyways so not a big deal.

I didn't even understand the promotion. I just know by the end of the sale when I bought South Park's latest game, it said, 'you have 20,000 points, do you want to spend 15,000 for a $5.00 discount', and I said yes.

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006
I got 3 games/DLC :

Pro Pinball Ultra
Pinball Arcade Stern pack 2
Zaccaria Pinball Campaign Mode DLC

Think the theme there is obvious - only (re)discovered digital pinball in the 2018 summer sale. Its surprising how fun it is; for most people new to it I'd recommend starting with the Williams packs in FX3.

I'd actually looked at the FX3 packs including those, which were among the ones I was likely going to buy if I hadn't forgot.

jimbotronics

Jul 4, 2018
I'd actually looked at the FX3 packs including those, which were among the ones I was likely going to buy if I hadn't forgot.

In addition to the big steam sales where almost all FX3 packs go on sale they have lots of other sales throughout the year with one or a few packs on sale at a time - next Williams pack is due to be released in about a month, wouldn't be surprised if an earlier pack goes on sale then; also there are 2 free tables and you can play 90 sec. trials of all the others. See http://www.digitalpinballfans.com/forum.php for more.

Stg-Flame

Diamond Member
Mar 10, 2007
Steam is always trying to give that game away. Never tried it though and it's been in my library for a long time.