Steam sale-pros and cons

swampi800

Nov 28, 2015
Black Friday,s Steam sale had me glued to the scroll screen for hours through the day.
Was this a good idea?lol
I ended up spending about 60 quid on games that from price and review seemed a good idea.
Unfortunately there were some down spots , games like Tron 2.0 and star Wars Republic Commando that i would have liked to play with my controller i couldn,t and had to resort to mouse tactics.
A few beauties like Warhammer Space Marines and Wild Frontera , Metal Gear Rising , Metal Gear Solid and Mars have taken the appreciation of my time purchasing to a better high.
Some people i had recently spoken to had mentioned how as a Steam member they had spent rakes of cash on Steam games and had 200+ in their list and hardly ended up playing any.
Any body have any pros and cons for buying cheap games in Sale areas online?

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001
I bought nothing, I'm not into buying a bunch of games simply because they are cheap. I'll likely never play them.

futurefields

Diamond Member
Jun 2, 2012
Yeah really gotta check if a game supports gamepad or not. I am still mad they never implemented this for Mass Effect 1-3 on PC. As much more control as the keys/mouse give you sometimes I just want to kick back and play like I'm on Xbox again.

Also would be nice if Blizzard would add the gamepad controls for Diablo 3 to PC but I understand why they are not doing so. Everyone i know who plays that game on console says the gamepad controls are simply awesome.

magomago

Lifer
Sep 28, 2002
didn't buy anything. Why? I liked daily deals...didn't have to sift through their massively stupid catalog.

greenhawk

Platinum Member
Feb 23, 2011
didn't buy anything. Why? I liked daily deals...didn't have to sift through their massively stupid catalog.

Similar reason myself why I did not buy anything.

Last time, I filled up the steam wallet (easier on the exchange fees) and only had to click "go" for several purchases (I think I played one within a week of buying them).

This time, with no varying prices and having to "search" for which items were on sale, did not grab me. I just looked at my wish list, did not see any low enough to click buy on (2 I think I qued in the cart, but did not get back to it) and then forgot about the whole thing. With the non advertising of games / discounts, I just looked at the "what is popular" list and looked for the % off sign. Otherwise did not "search" the cataloger as they wanted me to.

Time will tell (christmas?) if they change their approach. I can guess why they did it this way (no focus on just a few games, eyeballs looking at a larger range of products and so hopefully more sales), but it does not help the customer who is time poor.

If I get bored (ie: can not sleep) some time soon, I will have a read of the thread about the steam sales to see what other peoples take of it was. It is about as high on my to do list as this sale was though.

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006
Greenhawk, that's wrong if the sale prices were the same.

At worst, the same customer could see the same advertised sales and buy or not buy.

It actually helped save the customer time - instead of having to get deals by shopping constantly, they could get them shopping once.

It didn't really have any downside for customers unless they liked the short term sales.

There's suspicion a reason was to avoid the price match returns under the new return policy.

Oct 30, 2004
All I got was Advent Rising because I heard its a great game nobody played.

When you say Advent in a gaming forum, I think of this:

251.jpg

the_forbidden_worlds_by_bbb4445-d68zn4q.jpg

Wail.jpg

Last edited:

crazzy.heartz

Sep 13, 2010
Steam sales, everything at 75% off can become an addiction.

Steam sales come in handy to buy stuff that isn't essential but, you do wanna buy it and its the stuff that u dont wanna but at full cost.. Ex. all those DLC s in Total War games..

The other downside used to b that sales disappeared overnight.. Weeklong sales fixed that so all's well in my book...

Majcric

Golden Member
May 3, 2011
Well the biggest con is you can often get the game cheaper elsewhere.

swampi800

Nov 28, 2015
Steam sales, everything at 75% off can become an addiction.

Steam sales come in handy to buy stuff that isn't essential but, you do wanna buy it and its the stuff that u dont wanna but at full cost.. Ex. all those DLC s in Total War games..

The other downside used to b that sales disappeared overnight.. Weeklong sales fixed that so all's well in my book...

Yeh i picked up some dlc for Skyrim which i can,t seem to access too easily to play , you can,t really argue for the likes of 37 pence a dlc.

mohit9206

Golden Member
Jul 2, 2013
I bought 9 games for total $15.Wanted to buy a few more but their download sizes were 25gb+ so i didn't buy them as my Internet is quite slow.

irishScott

Lifer
Oct 10, 2006
Nothing for me, but my issue is I can't keep ignoring my backlog. I'll probably buy XCOM 2 on launch, but beyond that my video-game buying is on hold until I make some headway. Between the Steam and GOG sales I've got a few hundred hours of gameplay to get through. Right now I'm halfway through Shovel Knight. :)

b-mac

Jun 15, 2015
Only thing I picked up was the $1 Sony Humble Bundle. As I have gotten older I tend not to impulse purchase items just because they are cheap. I have a big enough backlog to work through already. Time is limited between full-time work and full-time school. Plus there are so many sites that sell steam codes for cheaper than steam sales it seems and I don't mind owning gaming on other platforms (GOG, Uplay, Origin). I mean it's nice to have them all in one location but honestly I don't see much a difference between platforms.