Steam Question

irishScott

Lifer
Oct 10, 2006
I recently tried to make a backup of HL2: EP2 via Steam's built-in backup function, and it looked good until about half-way through, at which point the backup continued, but Steam appeared to be downloading something large (identified via comodo) and the backup slowed to a snail's pace. Any ideas?

Lonyo

Lifer
Aug 10, 2002
Don't use Steam's built in backup function, just copy the gfc files from your Steam directory instead.

PingSpike

Lifer
Feb 25, 2004
Originally posted by: Lonyo
Don't use Steam's built in backup function, just copy the gfc files from your Steam directory instead.

What do you do to reinstall? Install steam and then overwrite the empty folder?

IEC

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Jun 10, 2004
I just copy my entire steam dir and delete clientregistry.blob

toughwimp11

May 8, 2005
i'm just curious but whats the purpose of backing up your steam games. cant you just redownload them if your computer messes up?

SilentRunning

Golden Member
Aug 8, 2001
Originally posted by: toughwimp11
i'm just curious but whats the purpose of backing up your steam games. cant you just redownload them if your computer messes up?

The purpose is to avoid redownloading everything.

Golgatha

Lifer
Jul 18, 2003
Originally posted by: SilentRunning
Originally posted by: toughwimp11

The purpose is to avoid redownloading everything.

I kinda like redownloading everything. I seriously despise having to use Steam, so I figure I should make it as economically unfeasible as possible to discourage this business model.

450R

Feb 22, 2005
Originally posted by: Golgatha
I kinda like redownloading everything. I seriously despise having to use Steam, so I figure I should make it as economically unfeasible as possible to discourage this business model.

Nobody makes you use Steam. If you don't like it, uninstall it and the rest of us that do like it will be happy to make good use of the bandwidth you were childishly abusing.