Steam password warning

runzwithsizorz

Diamond Member
Jan 24, 2002
You all may know this already, but it's probably wise to change your Steam passwords every so often. I recently received a warning someone in India was trying to access my account. I promptly changed my password. Hadn't thought much about passwords until this happened. At least Steam was very prompt in notifying me.

tsupersonic

Nov 11, 2013
Do you not use two factor with Steam? If not, you should.

Yes, best security practice is to use a strong password, to change it every so often, and use two factor.

Reactions: Campy

Stg-Flame

Diamond Member
Mar 10, 2007
What's two factor? Or is that another name for the mobile authenticator?

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Got the same message recently, except it was someone from Russia. Couldn't figure out how to change the Password, so haven't yet.

you2

Diamond Member
Apr 2, 2002
Would prefer something stronger than email; even though I have steam guard enabled. You know how frequent email passwords are cracked.

Stg-Flame

Diamond Member
Mar 10, 2007
If you use Steam Guard, it only asks for a code if you manually log out or you don't have your account set to remember your password. There's also a grace period after activating Steam Guard before you can start trading (one week I believe) just in case someone does hijack your account and tries to protect it with their own Steam Guard.

gorcorps

aka Brandon
Jul 18, 2004
Got a similar message, or I should say I got the code in my email that someone was trying to access it.

SPBHM

Diamond Member
Sep 12, 2012
I had someone access my Origin account, it was from 2009 with the same password for years, likely I used the same password and login in some forum that got hacked and the passwords/logins leaked,
I had the warning of someone else was using my account a few times, sadly when I tried to change my password I noticed that I had one of those secret questions and couldn't remember the answer, so I checked the option to require a email code to login I think (it didn't require me to give the answer for this change), and I started to get those emails from the other person trying to use it... later I remembered the secret answer and also managed to change the password, but I still got a password change request not made by me later... but since they didn't control my email no worries...
the worst thing would be if someone manages to get your login+password and your email password, so make sure you have different passwords on as many things as possible.

you2

Diamond Member
Apr 2, 2002
The phone number no; but the email address reminder it does which I think is stupid. It is almost begging you to change your email address for some weird reason. No clue what they were thinking when they added that.

Does Steam always ask you guys to verify your email address and ad a phone # all the time even though you already have done so?

Reactions: paperfist

XavierMace

Diamond Member
Apr 20, 2013
The phone number no; but the email address reminder it does which I think is stupid. It is almost begging you to change your email address for some weird reason. No clue what they were thinking when they added that.

They were probably thinking that would help curb the complaints from people that get new email addresses and/or phone numbers but neglect to update their accounts everywhere while they still have access to their old contact method.

you2

Diamond Member
Apr 2, 2002
Yea but then why does it send a stupid code to your OLD email address if you indicate it has not changed.

They were probably thinking that would help curb the complaints from people that get new email addresses and/or phone numbers but neglect to update their accounts everywhere while they still have access to their old contact method.