Steam not Updating?

us3rnotfound

Diamond Member
Jun 7, 2003
I have had Steam on my computer for a couple of weeks, and every time I open it, it has a box that says updating Steam.

The update process fails, and it closes.

Should I dowload the new Steam installer off Fileplanet?

Steam should just update itself, should it not?

us3rnotfound

Diamond Member
Jun 7, 2003
That's irrelevant.

What i'm saying is i've had STEAM installed on my system for 14 days.

It tries to update itself, but FAILS.

Now:

Do I need to just dl the STEAM off of Fileplanet?

OR just wait for my STEAM to update itself?

Any respone that is relative to my topic is advised and welcome!

(BUMP)

tart666

Golden Member
May 18, 2002
Originally posted by: shminu
It tries to update itself, but FAILS. Now: Do I need to just dl the STEAM off of Fileplanet? OR just wait for my STEAM to update itself? Any respone that is relative to my topic is advised and welcome! (BUMP)

I have had steam for 4 days (full fileplanet dl) It still refuses to play as of right now. Says "The game is currently unavailable. Please try again at a later time". Both for cs and half-life.

I recommend waiting for a new steam client update, should have come out today...
Tomorrow we will release new installers which include the cache files for all of the games available via Steam
(from here)

us3rnotfound

Diamond Member
Jun 7, 2003
Originally posted by: tart666
Originally posted by: shminu
It tries to update itself, but FAILS. Now: Do I need to just dl the STEAM off of Fileplanet? OR just wait for my STEAM to update itself? Any respone that is relative to my topic is advised and welcome! (BUMP)

I have had steam for 4 days (full fileplanet dl) It still refuses to play as of right now. Says "The game is currently unavailable. Please try again at a later time". Both for cs and half-life.

I recommend waiting for a new steam client update, should have come out today...
Tomorrow we will release new installers which include the cache files for all of the games available via Steam
(from <a class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://http://www.steampowered.com/news.htm" target=blank>here</A>)

OK, so your just saying to keep my Steam and just wait till it can finally update itself?

Anyone else know/ran into my problem?

hdeck

Lifer
Sep 26, 2002
you have had it for a few days which means you have the old client. there was a problem with the final steam release that prevents old versions from updating properly. you need to completely uninstall steam and get the new version off of their website for it to work.

us3rnotfound

Diamond Member
Jun 7, 2003
Originally posted by: hdeck
you have had it for a few days which means you have the old client. there was a problem with the final steam release that prevents old versions from updating properly. you need to completely uninstall steam and get the new version off of their website for it to work.

Exactly what I was looking for.

Thanks so much, hdeck!