Steam Library Update MY EYES!

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

WelshBloke

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
I just right click on the tray icon and start my game from there usually, does that still work?

Muadib

Lifer
May 30, 2000
I like the fact I can see all my GoG, Steam, Epic, Ubisoft etc games in one interface, I can filter the list easily and have custom lists. It just feels neater and more user friendly to me having over 800 games in one easy to use program.
That sounds great. I think I will sign up. Thanks!

rivethead

Platinum Member
Jan 16, 2005
Steam is very data driven, my guess is people who have this layout buy more “stuff”

I think you nailed it. I'm adapting, but there's a lot going on on that screen that I just don't need or care about. Don't really care about news. Don't really care about in-game events.

Feb 4, 2009
I think you nailed it. I'm adapting, but there's a lot going on on that screen that I just don't need or care about. Don't really care about news. Don't really care about in-game events.

I’m sure I’ll get used to it but there is so much clutter I don’t think I’d even find a news article in the mess.
I clicked on some filter buttons last night that cleaned it up a lot but I was just clicking on stuff like a monkey so I’m not sure I can tell you how to do it.

DeathReborn

Platinum Member
Oct 11, 2005
Are all the various game clients running in the background like is Galaxy running and steam and origin and whatever or do they start up when you start the game?

No but there are options to do so.

Attachments

• GoG 2.0 Settings.jpg
    GoG 2.0 Settings.jpg
    43.6 KB · Views: 7

GodisanAtheist

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2006
I keep my games lightly categorized, and steam still shows that nested list on the left hand side of the library page, which is really all I need.

I appreciated that they brought out some of the more hidden functions like only showing installed games etc, but I really I only go to steam to buy the occasional game and to launch the occasional game, everything else is window dressing that can change and morph however valve would like, I'm not really paying attention to it.

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006
What I don't like about it is that the scroll bar through 2000+ games has gone from very responsive to quite sluggish.

Now it's 'grab bar, scroll toward where I want, library starts scrolling, lose bar, look for bar again, get closer, lose bar, eventually get to the game I want after scrolling around more sluggishly'.

Reactions: Ranulf

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
So, my main desktop is currently running on the Steam Client beta update branch, and I'm pretty sure I recall seeing an update come through that will provide a more "old school" library look. I did go to check it out to see if it would sate those that don't care for the new one, but I'll admit that while I only took a cursory glance, I couldn't figure out where to even change the view. (Albeit, as noted, I didn't really look that hard.)

But anyway, the point is that if you don't like the new view, you may be getting something more palatable in the future.

balloonshark

Diamond Member
Jun 5, 2008
Thanks for the news. Hopefully they decide to release a classic view to everyone. Giving your users a choice is always is never a bad idea.

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
Thanks for the news. Hopefully they decide to release a classic view to everyone. Giving your users a choice is always is never a bad idea.

I took a bit of a closer look, and I don't think it's the exact same.. but you can get it decently close. Now, I'm not sure if these settings are already available or not, but at least on beta, there are a few available under Steam > Settings > Library.

It sounds like people would prefer doing things like unchecking "Show game icons in the left column" and possible just checking "Low Bandwidth Mode", which will likely disable other content in addition to the community content. (I'm not really sure what.) You could also try enabling Low Performance Mode to remove any sort of extraneous graphics effects.

DrMrLordX

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000
I wasn't aware that GoG had any "Russian" ties. CD Projekt Red started GoG, and they are Polish, so obviously GoG has Polish origins. Hope they don't go under anytime soon, though apparently they had some layoffs this year . . .

balloonshark

Diamond Member
Jun 5, 2008
I took a bit of a closer look, and I don't think it's the exact same.. but you can get it decently close. Now, I'm not sure if these settings are already available or not, but at least on beta, there are a few available under Steam > Settings > Library.

It sounds like people would prefer doing things like unchecking "Show game icons in the left column" and possible just checking "Low Bandwidth Mode", which will likely disable other content in addition to the community content. (I'm not really sure what.) You could also try enabling Low Performance Mode to remove any sort of extraneous graphics effects.
Thanks. I don't see an option for removing the icons in the library. I hope they make it an option since I keep a small steam window so the icons are too small to be useful. I did tick the other boxes and it removed a few things. I also see that you can remove the "shelves" on the right side of the screen. All of them but the top "what's new" shelf. I have a feeling this will be eventually used for store ads.

Reactions: Ranulf

Stg-Flame

Diamond Member
Mar 10, 2007
So many people are against change. I personally love the new look for the game list, but I'm not particularly fond of all the junk on the right. I would like to be able to customize what's shown on the right, but it's not a huge deal. I like the new style.

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006
I also don't like that it constantly resets to the top of the library instead of staying on the last game selected.

Mai72

Lifer
Sep 12, 2012
So many people are against change. I personally love the new look for the game list, but I'm not particularly fond of all the junk on the right. I would like to be able to customize what's shown on the right, but it's not a huge deal. I like the new style.

It's natural. The funny thing is a few months from now many of those same people will be praising the changes, or just forgetting how the Steam library used to look. I actually like the new look, and it's about time. It was time for a change. People love complaining so it doesn't suprise me that they dislike the new look. Social media platforms go thru this all the time. They update their home page and people freak. A week later it's all forgotten.

DrMrLordX

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000
Small mode doesn't really solve the problem. All the individual game stats you used to get when you highlighted a game in your library no longer appear when you're in Small Mode. The new library is just too cluttered, and they didn't offer a way to get rid of the clutter. It gets rid of everything.

edit: some functions aren't working in Small Mode, either. Uninstall doesn't work until you leave Small Mode (you can initiate the action, but you have to return to the normal library to complete the uninstall).

Last edited:
Feb 4, 2009
Small mode doesn't really solve the problem. All the individual game stats you used to get when you highlighted a game in your library no longer appear when you're in Small Mode. The new library is just too cluttered, and they didn't offer a way to get rid of the clutter. It gets rid of everything.

edit: some functions aren't working in Small Mode, either. Uninstall doesn't work until you leave Small Mode (you can initiate the action, but you have to return to the normal library to complete the uninstall).

Aw crap.....