Steam Issues

AntiFreze

Golden Member
Oct 23, 2007
So I downloaded Zombie Panic! Source for Steam last night. I go into the game, and hit update list, and it populates. When I hit connect, it says that it cant communicate with that server. then my internet shuts off for 5minutes. Everything. I cant ping google, yahoo, anything at that point.

I tried forwarded the steam ports but still had the issue. Anyone have an idea? Could old router firmware be the problem, I bought a used router a while back, the 54g linksys one, and the firmware is from '04.

skace

Lifer
Jan 23, 2001
Does your firmware have issues with fragmented packets? Could be fragmented packets causing your router to crash. I don't know if I updated my router in 2004, but it was awhile ago that I had to install a newer firmware to resolve that problem.

Edit: Check uptime on your router after this happens if you can.

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000
i had this happen once and then steam updated one day and it worked fine after that.

manowar821

Diamond Member
Mar 1, 2007
This happened to me, too, right after installing Zombie Panic! It did the thing you described, then I got into one game, but they complained that I was dumping packets and booted me. That's when the internet stopped working for all the machines in my apartment.

I had to reboot the router, but it hasn't happened since. Very odd.