Steam Hacked | Credit Card Information at Risk

Page 6 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

mb

Lifer
Jun 27, 2004
It probably was just a coincindence, but it is really that much of a strecth to think Valve was being overly careful in the wake of the PSN scandal and contacted hotmail to put a hold on the e-mail account until everything could be verified?
Seriously? Wow.

kinev

Golden Member
Mar 28, 2005
Update:

Dear Steam Users and Steam Forum Users:

We continue our investigation of last year’s intrusion with the help of outside security experts. In my last note about this, I described how intruders had accessed our Steam database but we found no evidence that the intruders took information from that database. That is still the case.

Recently we learned that it is probable that the intruders obtained a copy of a backup file with information about Steam transactions between 2004 and 2008. This backup file contained user names, email addresses, encrypted billing addresses and encrypted credit card information. It did not include Steam passwords.

We do not have any evidence that the encrypted credit card numbers or billing addresses have been compromised. However as I said in November it’s a good idea to watch your credit card activity and statements. And of course keeping Steam Guard on is a good idea as well.

We are still investigating and working with law enforcement authorities. Some state laws require a more formal notice of this incident so some of you will get that notice, but we wanted to update everyone with this new information now.

Gabe

Ruh roh, Raggy....

Via

Diamond Member
Jan 14, 2009
Man, bringing this thread back brings back the frustration of that "incident" as well. I couldn't access my main hotmail account for over 24 fricking hours.

It never happened before, and it hasn't happened since.

JTsyo

Lifer
Nov 18, 2007
I have to admit, Im a little skeered on this one. This is my check card on Steam that goes straight to my checking account.

I think Ill be calling my bank tomorrow and getting a new check card and having this one deactivated.

that's a good idea. You shouldn't expose you money by using your debit card online stick to CC.

oh wow, I didn't realize this was from last year. I was mostly playing BF3 at the time so I missed all this.

rageofthepeon

Jan 31, 2012
Man, bringing this thread back brings back the frustration of that "incident" as well. I couldn't access my main hotmail account for over 24 fricking hours.

It never happened before, and it hasn't happened since.

That sucks. I have a gmail account with an authenticator attached along with Steamguard enabled and didn't have a problem at all. I'd recommend that to anyone using Steam.

Nintendesert

Diamond Member
Mar 28, 2010
I personally use a one time authenticator for any service that offers it. TOR, Gmail, banking, PayPal... Your cell phone is a good one time authenticator and people should use it. Luckily the information was encrypted unlike Sony and their plain text travesty.

Elixer

Lifer
May 7, 2002
I personally use a one time authenticator for any service that offers it. TOR, Gmail, banking, PayPal... Your cell phone is a good one time authenticator and people should use it. Luckily the information was encrypted unlike Sony and their plain text travesty.
It depends on the level of encryption. If we are talking about using something like ROT13, then lots of people are going to be PO'ed, and lawsuits will be flying.

It still is BS that steam refuses to notify people the correct way, instead of doing messages via their client.