Steam got Final Fantasy 6

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

ImpulsE69

Lifer
Jan 8, 2010
So..I just watched the recapitation of 6 and 7. I had forgot a lot of 6's story other than Kefka and Terra and Shadow lol. It holds true to me even today though, 6 had the better characters, the better story. Sure it wasn't OMG 3D graphics and OMG CGI! but the graphics were great anyway.

NoSoup4You

Golden Member
Feb 12, 2007
FF6 is also one of my all-time fav's, I just bought the Steam version and playing with PS4 controller I have no complaints. This was never a fair fight for me though, as long as this version provided the upgraded sprites and ran without any glitches, I was going to be thoroughly satisfied... and I'm stoked to say that's the case.

The gameplay feels true to the original, it's an easy game but with some fun fights and the chance to occasionally wipe is still there. Random mobs die FAST, but they can also catch you off guard with some damage spikes. I really prefer this versus what FF7 and FF10 gave you - which was tankier mobs that hit like a wet noodle. With no DPS, mobs in 7 and 10 are nothing more than a time sink. All the FF's are easy, this is just more interesting gameplay.

In short, 6 is awesome.

Last edited:

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
FF2 is still my favorite, with 3 a close second (I only go by America numbers, because only America matters)

But I still think that 7 had the best story of all of them. (I stopped at 10; never finished 12, or whatever it was. Because I could no longer bear the emo, non-open world on-rails BS, and broken combat systems--also those later stories were terrible)

FF9 was awesome, though. It was the closest to 3, imo.

swampi800

Nov 28, 2015
I bought four by mistake and used to play 9 on the console to no real distance.
8 Is smashing fun also , i would rate on a large screen , pinballing through the levels is time consuming.

AgentNein

Dec 16, 2015
Ehh 9's not as great. I didn't like it that much when it first game out, but I've given it another chance recently and it's definitely more enjoyable than 8 (the 'greatest' love story!
BULL
) at least.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
Ehh 9's not as great. I didn't like it that much when it first game out, but I've given it another chance recently and it's definitely more enjoyable than 8 (the 'greatest' love story!
BULL
) at least.

8 is by far the worst if you ask me:

--crappy magic mechanic that encourages you to never use magic
--crappiest craphole of a crap story in the series.

akugami

Diamond Member
Feb 14, 2005
FF9 coming to iOS, Android, and PC sometime in the future. It's been announced. FF6 was the best IMHO followed closely by FF4, but I highly enjoyed FF9.

I mostly loved the FF series up to 9. FF8 is a soulless abomination. It had some good points but it was such a shitfest. I just couldn't like the emo loser main character. It just did not have a compelling story. And at the time, I had lots of free time and had played every single stateside FF game from FF1 on the NES on up. I paid money for this crap and just couldn't dig up the willpower to finish it.

Starting from FF10, the series starting going downhill in one way or another. I simply didn't find them as enjoyable.

Eric1987

Mar 22, 2012
FF9 coming to iOS, Android, and PC sometime in the future. It's been announced. FF6 was the best IMHO followed closely by FF4, but I highly enjoyed FF9.

I mostly loved the FF series up to 9. FF8 is a soulless abomination. It had some good points but it was such a shitfest. I just couldn't like the emo loser main character. It just did not have a compelling story. And at the time, I had lots of free time and had played every single stateside FF game from FF1 on the NES on up. I paid money for this crap and just couldn't dig up the willpower to finish it.

Starting from FF10, the series starting going downhill in one way or another. I simply didn't find them as enjoyable.

IMO FF10 is the downhill part of the series but I enjoyed 8.