Steam Gamers That Use Controllers?

KlokWyze

Diamond Member
Sep 7, 2006
www.dogsonacid.com
I just built a miniITX setup for my living room TV that I wanted to basically just game with via a controller. Picked up a cheapo PS3 knockoff and a Razer ONZA. TBH, I feel like I like the PS3 knock off better at this point.....

Only really interested in games w/ full controller support. I'm really dissapointed that Terraria doesn't have it even though it's been released for the 360.

Been playing Rogue Legacy (awesome), Sine Mora & looking @ Bioshock Infinite & Braid.

Anyone else using a PC-controller-bases setup on the living room TV? Any recommendations on good games w/ full controller support?

ImpulsE69

Lifer
Jan 8, 2010
I just built a miniITX setup for my living room TV that I wanted to basically just game with via a controller. Picked up a cheapo PS3 knockoff and a Razer ONZA. TBH, I feel like I like the PS3 knock off better at this point.....

Only really interested in games w/ full controller support. I'm really dissapointed that Terraria doesn't have it even though it's been released for the 360.

Been playing Rogue Legacy (awesome), Sine Mora & looking @ Bioshock Infinite & Braid.

Anyone else using a PC-controller-bases setup on the living room TV? Any recommendations on good games w/ full controller support?

I believe if you switch Steam to Big Screen Mode it puts all the controller games in a category.

thirdeye

Platinum Member
Jun 19, 2001
www.davewalter.net
There are very few games I play that I can't use the controller.
Quickly looking at my list of recent games:
Bioshock Infinite
Borderlands 2
Skyrim
Saints Row IV
Tomb Raider
XCOM
Dishonored
Fallout: NV
Sleeping Dogs

Honestly the Xbox controller and being able to play on the TV from the couch is what got me back into PC gaming.

KlokWyze

Diamond Member
Sep 7, 2006
www.dogsonacid.com
I believe if you switch Steam to Big Screen Mode it puts all the controller games in a category.

I love that they are trying to do the couch/console thing with big screen mode. TBH though, it's shit. Once you get your games installed and everything it's fluid, but trying to browse the store, games, get info, etc. It's clunky, lacking info and CAN be a pain.

Bioshock Infinite
Borderlands 2
Skyrim
Saints Row IV
Tomb Raider
XCOM
Dishonored
Sleeping Dogs

Honestly the Xbox controller and being able to play on the TV from the couch is what got me back into PC gaming.

I was mainly shooting for indie type games. Rogue Legacy is amazing! Going to check out Bioshock Infinite for sure.

sash1

Diamond Member
Jul 20, 2001
recent controller games i've played/like:

a virus named tom
bleed
hammerwatch
hotline miami

and just quickly lookin through my steam library - some other good games with controller support:
mark of the ninja / shank / shank 2 / bastion / cave story+ / castle crashers / strike suit zero

Soundmanred

Lifer
Oct 26, 2006
The only semi-recent games that I wanted to play that DIDN'T have controller support were Bioshock 2 and a Mass Effect game. I use Minecontrol for Minecraft controller support.
I use a wireless 360 pad exclusively.

smackababy

Lifer
Oct 30, 2008
Dark Souls pretty much only has controller support. The mouse / keyboard default support is awful. Well, it is actually not that bad just using a keyboard, but with a mouse, it is terrible.

With a controller is works perfectly, but it is a direct console port done by a developer that has never had a PC release simply because enough fans signed a petition to get it ported to PC.

rivethead

Platinum Member
Jan 16, 2005
Trine 2 has full controller support and is an indie game.....I haven't played it yet (I'm in the middle of Trine 1 which only has partial controller support). But Trine 1 is a beautiful, fun game - and if Trine 2 is better (which it's supposed to be)............might meet your requirements.

sweenish

Diamond Member
May 21, 2013
Bastion and the Batman Arkham games. Most any third person game like Tomb Raider, Hitman, Sleeping Dogs, etc.

The Walking Dead is also much better with a controller, in my opinion.

I've played with a controller on PC whenever I think a game is better suited for it. I've done it this way for the last 15 years, at least.

ControlD

Diamond Member
Apr 25, 2005
Spelunky. But be warned, once you start playing it may be awhile before you play anything else.

nitromullet

Diamond Member
Jan 7, 2004
Bastion and the Batman Arkham games. Most any third person game like Tomb Raider, Hitman, Sleeping Dogs, etc.

The Walking Dead is also much better with a controller, in my opinion.

I've played with a controller on PC whenever I think a game is better suited for it. I've done it this way for the last 15 years, at least.

Does The Walking Dead work with the controller now? This is one of the few games that I wasn't able to get working. Not only that, for some reason trying to use the controller reset my saved games. I played the first chapter on Xbox, but then Steam put the all the chapters on sale for less, so I switched platforms. This game is definitely better with the controller.

KlokWyze

Diamond Member
Sep 7, 2006
www.dogsonacid.com
Spelunky. But be warned, once you start playing it may be awhile before you play anything else.

After reading on this for a few seconds it looks like a must have. I'll check this out.

Now I need to upgrade my GPU and it needs to fit in the case. My 7850 (gigabyte windforce) wouldn't fit in there... I'm currently using the built-in GPU on the A6-6400k. Which is a "Radeon HD 8470D"... which is probably ONLY good for indie 2D games. :biggrin:

I'm curious if it would even play Bioshock Infinite on low settings.

Anyone got any recommendation for short, but decently powerful cards? I'd like to spend $60-$100.

natto fire

Diamond Member
Jan 4, 2000
Used to have a Mad Catz 360 controller, that failed after a couple years, and got a true MS 360 controller. So many games I use the controller for, and I definitely like to dabble in big picture. I do lots of gaming on my laptop, and always keep the controller in the bag. There are quite a few games in my catalog I have used the controller exclusively (Bastion, Castle Crashers, GRID, Shank (2), Sine Mora, Solar 2, Super Meat Boy).

As mentioned above, while in big picture mode, you can filter out the games which do not support controllers.

Dankk

Diamond Member
Jul 7, 2008
Does The Walking Dead work with the controller now? This is one of the few games that I wasn't able to get working. Not only that, for some reason trying to use the controller reset my saved games. I played the first chapter on Xbox, but then Steam put the all the chapters on sale for less, so I switched platforms. This game is definitely better with the controller.

TWD has always worked natively with a 360 gamepad as far as I know. If you're using another kind of generic controller though then you might have problems.

360 controller is seriously the best gamepad you can buy for PC, since it automatically works out-of-the-box for so many different games.

JD50

Lifer
Sep 4, 2005
Does anyone use a PS3 controller with the usb cable? Do you need any special drivers or anything?

natto fire

Diamond Member
Jan 4, 2000
TWD has always worked natively with a 360 gamepad as far as I know. If you're using another kind of generic controller though then you might have problems.

360 controller is seriously the best gamepad you can buy for PC, since it automatically works out-of-the-box for so many different games.

Agree with this. I used to love the dual shock controllers of the PS and PS2, but once I got my hands around an Xbox controller (even the "bear claw", but much more with the second gen) there was no question in my mind that having the sticks off center made the most sense.

KlokWyze

Diamond Member
Sep 7, 2006
www.dogsonacid.com
Agree with this. I used to love the dual shock controllers of the PS and PS2, but once I got my hands around an Xbox controller (even the "bear claw", but much more with the second gen) there was no question in my mind that having the sticks off center made the most sense.

The 360 controller is the best controller hands down IMO, but it has 1 glaring fault. The d-pad is complete and utter shit. Even then, it's still the best, but god damn it...... this is why a I bought that Razer controller which is a COMPLETE ripoff of the OEM 360 controller, but with a very different d-pad, which is really awkward and hard to get used to. Time will tell. I may end up picking up a Microsoft OEM wired controller as I game with my 360 regularly and don't want to have to resync the wireless shit everytime I switch systems...

sash1

Diamond Member
Jul 20, 2001

for sure. also would recommend the logitech F310. i use that quite a bit - plays well with everything

jlchoi

Jun 5, 2007
www.heatware.com
Saints Row 4 has full support as well as Street Fighter IV and Mortal Kombat, although the d-pad on the 360 controller doesn't work well for fighting games.

Last edited:

davel

Mar 21, 2012
I never been a big console player.

Should I get a wireless or wired 360 controller?

There are several indie games I been meaning to play but need a controller for.

I heard wireless sometimes has problems and a delay is that true?

sweenish

Diamond Member
May 21, 2013
The 360 controller is the best controller hands down IMO, but it has 1 glaring fault. The d-pad is complete and utter shit. Even then, it's still the best, but god damn it...... this is why a I bought that Razer controller which is a COMPLETE ripoff of the OEM 360 controller, but with a very different d-pad, which is really awkward and hard to get used to. Time will tell. I may end up picking up a Microsoft OEM wired controller as I game with my 360 regularly and don't want to have to resync the wireless shit everytime I switch systems...

Agree on the d-pad.

I'll be waiting for the Xbox One controller to get its PC drivers, and I'll likely upgrade. It seems like an all around improvement.

TridenT

Lifer
Sep 4, 2006
I bought a Wireless Xbox 360 controller and wireless receiver just for driving games on my PC. It also works for some others with varying degrees of success (arcade games).

tential

Diamond Member
May 13, 2008
Bioshock Infinite
Borderlands 2
Skyrim
Saints Row IV
Tomb Raider
XCOM
Dishonored
Sleeping Dogs

Same. Your best bet is to look for cross platform releases. If it was released on 360/PC, it uses a controller lol.

I LOVE gaming from my couch using the power of my PC. If only SteamBigPictureMode, XBMC, and WMC could all be combined into one software -.-

I use wired though just because I don't like batteries.

tommo123

Platinum Member
Sep 25, 2005
search within steam for controller enabled. some have full, some have partial.