Steam Family Sharing Coming Soon

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

sweenish

Diamond Member
May 21, 2013
Easier and more delicious for you, maybe. But for them it's basically like cutting their revenue by 90%. It's not going to happen.

I think it is unreasonable to think that they are ever going to let the shares be on a per-game basis. It's likely going to stay at a library/group-based. It is reasonable (at least in my opinion) to hope that we have control of this shared group and can decide ourselves which games we'd like to be in it, instead of having no choice but to commit either zero or all our games to share with family members. This is also related to sharing games with your kids and not allowing them to play the MA-rated games.

This initial setup of Steam Family Sharing is simply just like sharing your account login and password without actually giving your account login and password, with the bonus disadvantage the inability of playing games off-line without affecting the other user.

Your counter affects your solution as well.

sweenish

Diamond Member
May 21, 2013
Not as extreme.

How so?

The only difference between your solution and mine is that yours requires further consumer input. Both allow only one instance of a shared game, both allow the account owner and the "share-ee" to play at the same time. I don't see how the single difference would affect your solution markedly less than mine.

This is a touch late but I'm also well aware of how Steam is implementing the sharing and what it's akin to, there was no need to explain it to me again. I read the announcement same as everyone else and I comprehended it just fine.

autoxerke

Jan 2, 2009
People keep missing that as the lender you *always* have access to your games. If you lend the library out, and then decide to play, you get access and they get a few minutes then get kicked (and prompted to buy - which is the hook that benefits Valve).
Really not that bad - I have a huge backlog and very little time to play - no reason a 'family' member couldn't have fun when I can't.