Steam Daily Deals: 6/20/11 Monday Overlord 2 $2.50 75% off

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

KaOTiK

Lifer
Feb 5, 2001
From my understanding with Cities XL, the original developer Monte Cristo basically took a shit on everyone. They charged a monthly fee for features in the game, like mass transit. Then when they went under they didn't bother to patch it in. A new company has boughten the IP and released the new Cities XL 2011, but I don't know anything about it other then the new company was giving 50% off the 2011 version for people who already owned the one on sale.

zokudu

Diamond Member
Nov 11, 2009
These daily deals are underwhelming. I have $100 burning a hole in my pocket and really nothing worth buying yet.

Homerboy

Lifer
Mar 1, 2000
MiniNinjas is an AWESOME game for the kiddos. My daughter LOVES it on the 360. I have to admit too, I enjoyed playing it a ton with her. I REALLY wish there was a follow-up on the way. VERY well done game.

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
Yeah, it's actually a pretty decent game. I bought it in a sale awhile back. For $6, I don't see how you could go wrong, but I think it'd be better if you had a controller to use.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
when is someone gonna make an updated (and Isometric, damnit!) Shadowrun game for PC? (a thought that occurred to me after looking at Uplink)

:colbert:

KaOTiK

Lifer
Feb 5, 2001
when is someone gonna make an updated (and Isometric, damnit!) Shadowrun game for PC? (a thought that occurred to me after looking at Uplink)

:colbert:

MS owns the Shadowrun IP and we saw their great plans for it by making it into a FPS that failed, horribly.

gorcorps

aka Brandon
Jul 18, 2004
Hey OP, could you start adding the price to the title as well? It would help me as I browse the various deal threads :D If you run out of room, IMO the actual price is much more important to me than the % off as I have no clue what the games started at until I get in the thread.

paperfist

Diamond Member
Nov 30, 2000
www.the-teh.com
Wow R.U.S.E. is finally on sale for $15!

Cities XL sucks especially if your thinking it's a Sim City 4 clone. The new devs didn't do much to the game before releasing it. Just check out the forums over at simtropolis.com

Dankk

Diamond Member
Jul 7, 2008
I can confirm Uplink is a great game, especially for $3.40. Probably the best "hacking simulator" there is. Everything about it, the graphics, the atmosphere, and the general tone of the game makes you feel like you're doing genuinely illegal deeds. Highly recommended.

AstroManLuca

Lifer
Jun 24, 2004
I can confirm Uplink is a great game, especially for $3.40. Probably the best "hacking simulator" there is. Everything about it, the graphics, the atmosphere, and the general tone of the game makes you feel like you're doing genuinely illegal deeds. Highly recommended.

For extra fun, show it to a non-nerdy friend or family member and tell them you're actually hacking and see if they believe you.

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006
Is it worth re-buying Uplink to get a version Steam keeps running on Windows 7, if you have the original? (That question comes up a lot for old games).

Dankk

Diamond Member
Jul 7, 2008
Is it worth re-buying Uplink to get a version Steam keeps running on Windows 7, if you have the original? (That question comes up a lot for old games).

Depends. Does the original version run on Windows 7 as-is? If not, then it would probably worth it to pick up the Steam version. Hell, even if you CAN run the original, I'd buy it on Steam anyway just for the sake of having it on Steam. I mean, it's $3 after all. :)

coloumb

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999

No guarantee it will run on Windows 7 because STEAM sells the game. :(

Here's a suggestion [from the uplink forums] to get Uplink to work on Windows 7 -

"get the installer working (use Win98 or XPSP2 compatible mode), then when fully installed, Do not start the game. download the latest patch (at time of writing, patch 1.54) from here http://www.introversion.co.uk/uplink/otherfiles.html , then install the patch, and disable the compatible mode, and it should work perfectly. well at least does for me, Win 7 Ultimate x64."

Disclaimer from the developer about Windows 7:

http://www.introversion.co.uk/support/

Windows 7

At the moment we cannot guarantee that our games will run under Windows 7. We are working on a series of patches to ensure compatibility, which should come out in the next few months. In the mean time the games may run, but only if you have the latest graphics card drivers from Nvidia, ATI or other vendor.

Use the $3.40 to go buy a Spicy BBQ burger from Sonic instead. :D

On that note - Settlers 7 Deluxe edition [$19.99] is at a price low enough where I'm willing to put up with the DRM scheme

Dankk

Diamond Member
Jul 7, 2008
No guarantee it will run on Windows 7 because STEAM sells the game. :(

I bought Uplink during last year's Christmas sale, I have Windows 7, and I've been running the game flawlessly with no tweaks/modifications whatsoever.