Steam Daily Deals: 2/10/13 Sunday Unity of Command Stalingrad Campaign $6.80 66% of

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

EDUSAN

Golden Member
Apr 4, 2012
im not gonna buy prototype 2 until it goes to $5 since it was $10 with prototype 1 in amazon a couple months ago

i liked prototype 1 though

Barfo

Lifer
Jan 4, 2005
I'd like a further discount because shadows are not included for my AMD card.

Dankk

Diamond Member
Jul 7, 2008
I'd like a further discount because shadows are not included for my AMD card.

That, and the entire game runs like ass, regardless of how good your setup is. The PC port is very poorly-optimized. (Edit: This is Prototype 1 we're talking about. It's not on sale apparently.)

Prototype 2 isn't any better. (Although it does have working shadows on AMD cards.)

you2

Diamond Member
Apr 2, 2002
I picked up prototype 2 with prototype 1 @ amazon $10 sale; but it crashes like hell. If someone knows how to keep it from crashing I'd like to finish the game :)
-
I have an amd 6950; windows 7 64 bit sandy bridge. I've tried pinning it to one processor and updating video drivers. Basically I'm in some research lab and I can never get to the next check point before kaboom (there is no manual saving). Bleh. The game is very easy but i still find it intriguing enough to finish if someone has a method to by pass the crashing long enough to get to the next check point.

blackened23

Diamond Member
Jul 26, 2011
Prototype 2 is one of the most egregious cases of "console port-itis" of all time.

It doesn't even support higher than 1080p without a lot of hassle, FFS.

gorcorps

aka Brandon
Jul 18, 2004
Prototype 2 is one of the most egregious cases of "console port-itis" of all time.

It doesn't even support higher than 1080p without a lot of hassle, FFS.

I found darksiders 2 to be even worse. I kind of still like Prototype 2 despite its flaws, but darksiders 2 was bad enough to quit after an hour or so.

you2

Diamond Member
Apr 2, 2002
How did you keep prototype 2 from crashing? Which version of windows did you use and what graphic card ?

I found darksiders 2 to be even worse. I kind of still like Prototype 2 despite its flaws, but darksiders 2 was bad enough to quit after an hour or so.

Dankk

Diamond Member
Jul 7, 2008

This is hard to believe. I realize Darksiders II isn't the pinnacle of great PC development, but at least it runs properly. Prototype 2 has game-breaking memory-leaks.

gorcorps

aka Brandon
Jul 18, 2004
How did you keep prototype 2 from crashing? Which version of windows did you use and what graphic card ?

I completely forgot about that... I have to unplug my keyboard and then the game plays fine with my 360 controller. I guess I only remembered the actual game which I didn't have other problems with. But yes, that's indeed a stupid problem and even worse is they haven't fixed it.

This is hard to believe. I realize Darksiders II isn't the pinnacle of great PC development, but at least it runs properly. Prototype 2 has game-breaking memory-leaks.

Well I forgot the above, but once I started playing I don't remember a memory leak. I may not have played long enough. But my problem with darksiders 2 was the fps dipping into the single digits in random areas. That coupled with repetitive combat and dated visuals made me move on to bigger and better things. I may give it another shot though in hopes it gets better soon, as I did like the first one.

you2

Diamond Member
Apr 2, 2002
Do you have to unplug the keyboard or just use the controller? I'd like to get past this crash point and I do have a windows controller I can try...

I completely forgot about that... I have to unplug my keyboard and then the game plays fine with my 360 controller. I guess I only remembered the actual game which I didn't have other problems with. But yes, that's indeed a stupid problem and even worse is they haven't fixed it.

Well I forgot the above, but once I started playing I don't remember a memory leak. I may not have played long enough. But my problem with darksiders 2 was the fps dipping into the single digits in random areas. That coupled with repetitive combat and dated visuals made me move on to bigger and better things. I may give it another shot though in hopes it gets better soon, as I did like the first one.

gorcorps

aka Brandon
Jul 18, 2004
Do you have to unplug the keyboard or just use the controller? I'd like to get past this crash point and I do have a windows controller I can try...

I have to unplug the keyboard, launch the game, then once it boots I think I could plug the keyboard back in. I use the controller though so I don't plug it back in till I'm done.

I've heard others say their virus scanner was blocking it. One other person said to set the process priority to "high" in the task manager. The keyboard thing works for me though.

you2

Diamond Member
Apr 2, 2002
Ok; I'll give that a try and see if it helps; though i suspect it won't :( it really sounds random from all the differnet things people try. I don't have a virus scanner or other stuff. I do have an amd video card and I wonder if people who manage to finish it have nvidia cards.

I have to unplug the keyboard, launch the game, then once it boots I think I could plug the keyboard back in. I use the controller though so I don't plug it back in till I'm done.

I've heard others say their virus scanner was blocking it. One other person said to set the process priority to "high" in the task manager. The keyboard thing works for me though.

gorcorps

aka Brandon
Jul 18, 2004
Rayman Origins is the DD today

Best platformer to come out in a long time. I already have it for the Vita, but am considering getting it for PC just to send the message that we still want games like this.