Steam account phished

Kokoskyrim

Jul 16, 2019
Alright, feel free to joke on me and call me names. I know I'm them. It's amazing how after 12 freaking years, I managed to fall for a phish link haha. Just great. So heres how it happened. It started around 1:30PM and I was browsing st4ck's profile just pondering.... How in the world did palm desert lose to this guy? I scrolled down to his comment section and boyo people sure do like spamming. Silly me clicked the game st4cks link giveaway, because I saw his name was pinned. My brain was shut down for this entire process mind you. The only way for a comment to get pinned is on a thread.... -.- My dead brain wasn't functioning so, so me being a neantherdal, clicked the link and signed in.... BIG MISTAKE! Steam account password got changed alongside email and boom, lost access to my account. So I locked it from further access but he managed in a span of 3 seconds to remove my mobile authenticator, change password and email. While I was locking it, he changed my account picture and name and manage to slide in one spam comment on st4ck's profile before he got locked out until further notice. Alas, waiting on steam support reply patiently because afterall, it was my fault for falling off this after countless times of people all over warning us "DONT CLICK LINKS OUTSIDE OF STEAM"!! The attached image is my profile that's on lockdown. Beware of these guys please. You may think oh I wont fall for it.. yeah, I thought the same for 12 years and all it took was one brain dead moment of sheer greediness and curiosity to take me within a span of 3 seconds. I learned my lesson here folks.

Edit: Yes, I know the vac ban looks terrible but i was a young lad who used cheat engine on unturned and cs:source. Old lesson learned.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190716-181238_Samsung Internet.jpg
    Screenshot_20190716-181238_Samsung Internet.jpg
    105.9 KB · Views: 44

Muadib

Lifer
May 30, 2000
I'm just shocked that you signed up here to confess your sins.:D I bid you welcome!

Kokoskyrim

Jul 16, 2019
Alright, feel free to joke on me and call me names. I know I'm them. It's amazing how after 12 freaking years, I managed to fall for a phish link haha. Just great. So heres how it happened. It started around 1:30PM and I was browsing st4ck's profile just pondering.... How in the world did palm desert lose to this guy? I scrolled down to his comment section and boyo people sure do like spamming. Silly me clicked the game st4cks link giveaway, because I saw his name was pinned. My brain was shut down for this entire process mind you. The only way for a comment to get pinned is on a thread.... -.- My dead brain wasn't functioning so, so me being a neantherdal, clicked the link and signed in.... BIG MISTAKE! Steam account password got changed alongside email and boom, lost access to my account. So I locked it from further access but he managed in a span of 3 seconds to remove my mobile authenticator, change password and email. While I was locking it, he changed my account picture and name and manage to slide in one spam comment on st4ck's profile before he got locked out until further notice. Alas, waiting on steam support reply patiently because afterall, it was my fault for falling off this after countless times of people all over warning us "DONT CLICK LINKS OUTSIDE OF STEAM"!! The attached image is my profile that's on lockdown. Beware of these guys please. You may think oh I wont fall for it.. yeah, I thought the same for 12 years and all it took was one brain dead moment of sheer greediness and curiosity to take me within a span of 3 seconds. I learned my lesson here folks.

Edit: Yes, I know the vac ban looks terrible but i was a young lad who used cheat engine on unturned and cs:source. Old lesson learned.

Edit 2: Within 7 hours, support gained my account back. Woo! Now I'm more cautious than ever

nurturedhate

Golden Member
Aug 27, 2011
I'm just shocked that you signed up here to confess your sins.:D I bid you welcome!
Smell's fishy as can be honestly, OP link's an account shot showing a less than two year old ban with a name of st4ck and claims it's his while in the post claims he was looking at another account's profile who is also named st4ck. First post, it's just all weird.

Kokoskyrim

Jul 16, 2019
Smell's fishy as can be honestly, OP link's an account shot showing a less than two year old ban with a name of st4ck and claims it's his while in the post claims he was looking at another account's profile who is also named st4ck. First post, it's just all weird.
I got my account back at 9:42PM, the screenshot I took of my account was when I self-locked it hence why it looks like that. And If you read my post, he changed my name and profile picture(pfp) while he was in the possession of my account. What's so fishy about me posting a thread that I got phished for having a brain dead moment yesterday??? Its not like I posted a link to some "fishy" website.

Reactions: DAPUNISHER

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
How'd the perp manage to avoid the two-factor authentication? I can't seem to ever log into a new machine (or any machine) without it asking me for a code.

Kokoskyrim

Jul 16, 2019
How'd the perp manage to avoid the two-factor authentication? I can't seem to ever log into a new machine (or any machine) without it asking me for a code.
I clicked the linked he posted in st4ck's comment section and signed into the site and boom. Just like that.

Edit: by signing in, I mean I signed in and inputted my steam guard code. So I basically handed my account over. Yeah I know, just say it haha.

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
I clicked the linked he posted in st4ck's comment section and signed into the site and boom. Just like that.

Edit: by signing in, I mean I signed in and inputted my steam guard code. So I basically handed my account over. Yeah I know, just say it haha.

Ah, that makes sense. Didn't even think to consider that you meant that you also inserted your code.

EXCellR8

Diamond Member
Sep 1, 2010
Yep, this sort of this has become the norm nowadays. Just be glad you were able to regain control of the account rather quickly.

aigomorla

CPU, Cases&Cooling Mod PC Gaming Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005
make sure you check your billing an credit cards.
Usually when they take over an account like that, they go on a gifting spree (selling games) on the account with the card or payment method on file.