Static

buzz12

Oct 21, 2007
My silverstone tj09 case has this static electrical feeling whenever i touch it. it feels like electricity but its harmless so far.
could this indicate something wrong? i only feel it when i plug the power cable or the monitor to my video card! i double checked all the connections to the motherboard and everything seems normal.
please advice.

SparkyJJO

Lifer
May 16, 2002
If it is just a brief static discharge then nothing after that if you keep touching it then no problem. You are just discharging your own static buildup.

Now if you touch it and it is a constant zapping then you have a wiring issue in your outlet.

buzz12

Oct 21, 2007
it's constant. it's been like this for more than 3 days. the problem is that i had to replace a HSF and put everything back together and then this static showed up. i took the motherboard out today and placed it back to make sure everything was alright but still same problem! i checked all the outlets and i cant find the source of this annoying static.
i'm just afried this static might kill my hardware if i dont do something soon enough.
any ideas?

Navid

Diamond Member
Jul 26, 2004
Are you saying the static feeling goes away if you disconnect the monitor from the back of the PC?

Quiksilver

Diamond Member
Jul 3, 2005
Originally posted by: Navid
Are you saying the static feeling goes away if you disconnect the monitor from the back of the PC?

Yes, i want to know this too.

Also what power supply are you using?.
Lastly does the problem remain if you try a different outlet in a different room or if you boot the motherboard outside of the case like while sitting on the motherboard box for example.

buzz12

Oct 21, 2007
yes.
when everything is disconnected and i just plug in the monitor the static shows up but if everything is connected then the static is still there even if i disconnect the monitor!
i placed the case on a rug in a different power outlet and the static disappeared. i also took the motherboard out of the case and i can no longer feel this static! but whenever this case is on my wooden desk even if im using a different outlet then im back to this damn static.
im using Thermaltake 850W.

buzz12

Oct 21, 2007
come to think about it .. i did try it with a totally different outlet and this static stoped. but with the outlet next to the same one im using then i still have a problem hmmm. im going to move this case to a different room and see what happens .. keeping my fingers crossed.
about homedepot.com their updating the website and its unavailable right now. can you please give me the name of utility extension cord.
Thanks

SparkyJJO

Lifer
May 16, 2002
The page is working now. That wasn't a cord I linked to btw, it is an outlet tester, tells you if it is wired properly or not.

For the cord, just something like those orange 3 prong cords would be fine.