Question Static IP Router Keeps disconnecting & reconnecting internet connection.

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

manly

Lifer
Jan 25, 2000
Disagree. There are great deals to be had on Wifi5 routers and they aren't low end per se, just older models, routers with good networking performance, USB, GbE, and can run DD-WRT. For example a few years back, I got a Netgear R6700 open box on amazon for $13 and couldn't have been happier, does great running DD-WRT.

If your clients can't use Wifi6, or you don't have a large # of concurrent accesses, it's mostly wasting money (assuming someone is a savvy shopper, not overpaying for older router models) to get something Wifi6 or 7 unless there are distance issues and you want a mesh setup, or of course if your ISP plan is 1Gb or higher and you want a 2.5Gb router to not bottleneck that... assuming the modem also has 2.5Gb or else no point.

Also considering my last post about capacitors, something I do now before buying a router, is look at the FCC internal pics (or reviews with a teardown are nice too) to see if it uses any electrolytic capacitors, avoiding those that do, although all of the AC/DC adapters are going to have them but the adapters are more of a jellybean part replacement as long as the DC barrel jack size is the same and you have spares with high enough current to handle whatever... since switches and external HDDs in particular are a couple of other computing segments that also commonly use 12VDC adapters.
Umm, you're basically just reiterating my point. There's no reason today to be buying a poorly-rated WiFi 4 router with 100 Mb/s ports.

Because of occasional deals, I said I wouldn't buy WiFi 5, while conceding there is a market for low-cost options (i.e. developing world). A shitty, obsolete product should never be an option though. Spend a little more, and stop wasting one's time.

Your point seems to be that some routers are overpriced (and customers won't have new enough devices), and that part is generally true in 2024. So buy what you can afford with a decent enough feature-set, preferably something with some good customer ratings. IIRC it's advisable to get WPA3 in any new purchase today, which eliminates older models.

Personally I'm happy with my WiFi 5 router (4 years old?), and gave away the WiFi 6 router I bought because it was roughly a side-grade. It was $24 from Amazon in January.