Static and Dynamic ratio help.

HiTechNoob

Feb 19, 2008
I need a bit of help with picking a monitor and understanding the (Dynamic) tag on some screens.

I was considering buying the flatscreen below. (Buying at Best Buy because of convenience)

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/ol...oduct&id=1183160137115

When I was talking to the "salesman" he told me it was 3000:1 When it is actually 1000:1 and (3000:1 Dynamic). When I pointed that out and asked what it meant he said oh ya, "he thinks" it's better than a static 3000:1 because it only pulls the colors and detail when needed. I'm new to any in depth knowledge of PCs/Accs and components, i'm learning but don't know a whole lot yet. Besides saying that he couldnt explain why it was better then the other screens or why it's good to have.

Now I am not by any means a hardcore gamer and I don't use animation software or anything so this flatscreen is going to be for everyday use (i.e. surfing, forums, mini games) And for playing a few of the bigger games like WoW, CS, TF2, etc... I wanted to know if the one above is good enough (like he says) for what I need it for. Or if I should look for a better one. (If you guys see any others in the BB catalog that you think is way better, please feel free to recommend it)

I also wondered if you could explain a bit what the Dynamic ratio means and if it is better to have that on a screen along with a high static or if it is just as good on a low static one as well. (using the terms that salesman used hoping he knew what he was talking about)

It's hard to make a choice when none of the "PC Experts" could explain what (3000:1 Dynamic) means and if it is better to have a 5000:1 compared to a 1000:1.

This is the one I was considering if the one above is crap.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/ol...oduct&id=1179877503230

Sorry if I was jumping around at all and rambling. Bascially I wanted to know 1, if the top screen is a good choice for gaming. And 2, I wanted to know what Dynamic ratio means and if it is a good thing to have.

Thanks for any help you can provide.

imported_wired247

Golden Member
Jan 18, 2008
sounds like a marketing gimmick, I'd go with reviews rather than manufacturer's specs, as these are usually misleading.

HiTechNoob

Feb 19, 2008
Ya through more and more articles I have read now it seems it is indeed something they use to bolster the specs. Some even say not to use the function because it distorts some images.

With that said would you agree the second screen would be the better option? I have even heard maybe dropping to a 19" would even be better for performance.

Also a question I didn't ask, when you go higher (for example 1000:1, 2000:1, 3000:1, etc..) the better the screen/images/graphics right?

Feb 19, 2001
I thought dynamic ratio was the constant adjusting of the backlighting depending on the image so that you could get optimal contrast. With a dynamic ratio of 3000:1, I don't think you could get that very often. It's probably going to be better than your 1000:1 static ratio though.

SergeC

May 7, 2005
Dynamic is ALWAYS worse than static, as it will wash out other colors when you have a predominantly light or dark screen in favor of the majority. It's a terrible thing :/

HiTechNoob

Feb 19, 2008
So then it's an agreed upon view that I should not get this one and get the bottom one?
Still not sure on if it's better to have it (Dynamic Ratio) or not and if a bigger ratio is better but I'll take the answers I can get I guess.

If you guys see any other screens in the Bestbuy catalog that are better please let me know.

The only reason I'm asking for a definite answer is becuase I have read more than a few topics here where someone has purchased a screen for gaming and it ends up lagging or skipping during gameplay because it wasnt good enough. I don't want to buy one unless I know it will be able to handle games.

Thanks

BassBomb

Diamond Member
Nov 25, 2005
Static is the most important spec, most are heavily inflated (even dynamic is heavily inflated).

I wouldn't worry too much about what the number is. Theoretically bigger is better.

HiTechNoob

Feb 19, 2008
Thanks BassBomb for the response. So it would be safer if I just went and got the 3000:1 ratio screen and pass on this 1000:1?

Or does that top screen I have posted look good enough?

Thanks.

BassBomb

Diamond Member
Nov 25, 2005
The two monitors are equivalent.

They both only "reach" 3000:1 by dynamic. You will not find a monitor over 1000:1 static

ChronoReverse

Platinum Member
Mar 4, 2004
Use the static one. Dynamic can be sometimes nice but usually it's not very good.

Certainly it's not representative of the screen's real contrast ratio.