States Say Some Doctors Stockpile Trial Coronavirus Drugs, for Themselves

Jul 9, 2009
How can you say that the noble Doctors and health care workers aren't the perfect Saints we all know they are? What a horrible person! /s

interchange

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999
Yeah that's a problem. I imagine it would be much harder to resist for someone more on the front line already seeing people die.

interchange

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999
How can you say that the noble Doctors and health care workers aren't the perfect Saints we all know they are? What a horrible person! /s

Doctors are indeed people. Though it's disturbing that it is not isolated cases here, there's no data presented on how common it is. There are a lot of doctors. If 1 in 25 does this, would it be appropriate to malign the profession? Yeah, medical schools should take people of high character. But at what miss rate would you be concerned? It's not like the people who are doing this would say "yes" if you asked them during med school interview: "if there were a global pandemic threatening to kill millions worldwide, would you prescribe for yourself treatments under investigation if you didn't know there would be enough supply for everyone?"

As far as medical errors, it is unlikely to be caused by a doctor's negligence or malice. Most are related to systemic issues, and while a doctor may have had the opportunity to do differently, it's not reasonable to say that is the failsafe.

Paratus

Lifer
Jun 4, 2004
Huh. Didn't even think of that.

check this one out.
CrXMJud.png

RxrOACG.jpg

https://www.buzzfeednews.com/article/tanyachen/kaiser-permanente-lupus-chloroquine

Very strange letter. Don’t ask us for the medicine you require we are saving it for others because it might be effective

TheVrolok

Lifer
Dec 11, 2000

dawp

Lifer
Jul 2, 2005
That is really weird. I mean they're not wrong, the half life is insanely long and some rationing might actually make some sense (even for other rheumatologic patients) , but that messaging is horrible.
plus I believe that this med hasn't been proven to be effective in the first place and restricting it for that purpose and not giving it to someone who has a known need for it I think crosses ethical lines.

Reactions: Pohemi

esquared

Forum Director & Omnipotent Overlord
Forum Director
Oct 8, 2000
This trial is from China, so I am sure there will be discussion as to why the results showed no difference.

interchange

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999
plus I believe that this med hasn't been proven to be effective in the first place and restricting it for that purpose and not giving it to someone who has a known need for it I think crosses ethical lines.

I don't have any current lupus patients and am not a rheumatologist, but the doctor is citing a drug shortage, so I don't read that as his choice to ration the treatment, although I'm sure he has some sway in some staying on it. Ethically, the principle of rationing treatment is definitely supported, but of course when/how to do so is a unique calculus for each situation. Thankfully, there are other effective treatments for lupus, so what's likely is that some patients will have to switch therapeutics temporarily, although certainly there's a risk there of less efficacy and risk of adverse treatment events. Either can be life-threatening, even though most people will be fine. It'll be really tragic for anyone with long-term well-managed lupus that gets a severe flare after changing treatment.

All this said, I think the issue here is not in decision making but messaging. Unfortunately, the lack of empathy displayed in the messaging suggests another problem.

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
Having healthcare workers treated first if this turns out viable isn't a bad idea.

If they go down results would even more catastrophic. During the speech on airline flights if cabin pressure is lost you are told to mask yourself first even if you have kids. Doesn't work if parent and child go down.

Not sure if hoarding the way to go

Reactions: hal2kilo