State tax holidays August (mostly)

allisolm

Elite Member
Administrator
Jan 2, 2001
Most states that have sales tax holidays have them in August. See http://www.taxadmin.org/fta/rate/sales_holiday.html for a list of all the states, dates, items included, price limitations, links to individual state sites about the holidays.

AL Aug 6-8 clothing, school, computers, books
CT Aug 15-21 clothing, shoes
FL Aug 13-15 clothing, books school
IL Aug 6-15 clothing, shoes, school
IA Aug 6-7 clothing
LA Aug 6-7 Tangible personal property up to $2500
LA Sep 3-5 firearms, ammunition, hunting supplies
MA Aug 14-15 TPP $2500 (has not been signed by governor)
MD Aug 8-14 clothing, shoes
MO Aug 6-8 clothing, school, computers
NM Aug 6-8 clothing, school, computers
NC Aug 6-8 clothing, school, computers, more
NC Nov 5-7 energy star products
OK Aug 6-8 clothing
SC Aug 6-8 clothing, school, computers
SC Nov 26-27 guns
TN Aug 6-8 clothing, school, computers
TX Aug 20-22 clothing, school
VA Aug 6-8 clothing, school
VA Oct 8-12 energy star products
WV Sep 1-Nov 30 energy Star products

hans007

Lifer
Feb 1, 2000
CA is too broke, paying for crap we dont need and pensions for CHP officers that are more than normal people could never hope to get. good thing amazon and tigerdirect exist.

hansmuff

Aug 20, 2000
Please note that not all of them are full exemptions. For instance, the IL tax "holiday" is more of a "early dismissal" as they relieve the 5% state tax, but not locals. So for instance, if your regular tax is 6.25%, then on "tax holiday" approved items you still pay 1.25% tax.

Pardus

Diamond Member
Jun 29, 2000
I live in NY, but take the 30 min drive to PA where everything is cheaper.

kalrith

Diamond Member
Aug 22, 2005
In case you don't know, this might only apply to state taxes. In Missouri (and probably the other states as well), the cities and counties have the option of being exempt to this. All the cities and counties in my area have decided to still charge their taxes. So, I'll still pay 2.625% sales tax on my "tax-free" weekend.

Most of you probably already know this, but I thought it was worth mentioning in case someone didn't. It would suck to go buy a "tax-free" $1,000 laptop and still pay taxes on it.

Edit: And I'm not complaining about it: 2.625% is better than 6.85%. I just wanted to point it out for anyone who might think this automatically means 0 sales tax.

Last edited:

Svnla

Lifer
Nov 10, 2003
There are a few FYIs:

1) In Louisiana, you still have to pay local sale tax, only state sale tax is exempt. You can buy almost anything under the sun except car, hotel stay, fast food, as long as the value is $2.5K or less. Link = http://revenue.louisiana.gov/sections/general/hottopics/salestaxholiday.aspx

2) In Texas, you don't pay any sale taxes at all but only for schools and school relate items and they have to be $100 or less. Link = http://www.window.state.tx.us/taxinfo/taxpubs/tx98_490/tx98_490.html

Last edited:

breweyez

Platinum Member
Jan 30, 2001
I live in CA. The liberal politicians have taxed more & more and have provided less & less every year. 20 years of this garbage is enough. Now you cant vote on something, without a stupid judge reversing it!

EarthwormJim

Diamond Member
Oct 15, 2003
CA is too broke, paying for crap we dont need and pensions for CHP officers that are more than normal people could never hope to get. good thing amazon and tigerdirect exist.

CHP officers generate a lot of revenue though. Need to keep those glorified ticket dispensers happy.

nhocstrasser

Jun 19, 2009
MA has always had a tax loop hole. It's called NH. ;)

Unless you are getting something delivered. They changed the law recently (last year or two) so that they charge MA sales tax if you buy something in NH and get it delivered to MA.

I went and purchased a washer/dryer pair in NH last month only to find that I still had to pay tax. They were too heavy for me to want to go and rent a truck to transport them myself so I paid the tax. It was epic fail.

This is a good deal for things that are big and heavy (furniture, appliances)

Gibson486

Lifer
Aug 9, 2000
Unless you are getting something delivered. They changed the law recently (last year or two) so that they charge MA sales tax if you buy something in NH and get it delivered to MA.

I went and purchased a washer/dryer pair in NH last month only to find that I still had to pay tax. They were too heavy for me to want to go and rent a truck to transport them myself so I paid the tax. It was epic fail.

This is a good deal for things that are big and heavy (furniture, appliances)

Nah, that law has always been there :(

UDT89

Diamond Member
Jul 31, 2001
CHP officers generate a lot of revenue though. Need to keep those glorified ticket dispensers happy.

yes its real glorified when you deal with some scumbag that wants to prevent you from seeing your family that night.....all because he "aint going back"

get over it.