Starting to hate Vista

orion23

Platinum Member
Oct 1, 2003
So I've had the slow delete problem from the beginning. There is a hotfix for it now, but I don't feel like calling MS ATM.

But my main problem is that Vista takes a very long time to save new data.

I guess the new data has to be examined, looked over, indexed and other crap before it is saved to the disk.

But what happens in case of a crash?

You just loose your DATA, simple as that!

Damn thing!

Ataraxia

Feb 23, 2007
I've had issues with Vista.. but not the slow save.. What are you saving and how? (From program? Copy paste?)

nonameo

Diamond Member
Mar 13, 2006
Originally posted by: tanishalfelven
Originally posted by: BlameCanada
I suppose you could design a better OS?

it alrady exist. its called linux.

I hate to say this, but linux is just a kernel. Which distro are you referring to?

(btw, I think windows and linux are both great operating sytems, right know I'm on OS X though ;) )

greylica

Aug 11, 2006
If you like to work better and faster or don't need things that are games related, feel free to visit this site:

http://www.microsuck.com

Feel free to look on the left bar all the best alternatives that you have.
My choice is for Kubuntu and Debian.
Fedora Core, Gentoo and Mandriva is good too.

ObscureCaucasian

Diamond Member
Jul 23, 2006
I've used Ubuntu which is as user friendly as they come, and it is still wayyy to complex for the mainstream.

drag

Elite Member
Jul 4, 2002
Maybe it's DMA issue or driver issue for your controller. Did you have problems with BSOD or something like that with a unrelated driver that maybe caused DMA to be turned off?

Try a file system benchmark and see what the results are. That way you can avoid any subjective feelings you may have about what is going on. They could of just changed the UI slightly so that the operation seems to take longer then it does in XP.

I don't feel that the indexing stuff should delay anything a whole lot. If the disk is busy it should just defer and be scedualed later when the disk is idel. After all a desktop PC spends most of it's time waiting on the user and not the other way around so it shouldn't be that difficult to make it responsive as possible disk-wise.

nerp

Diamond Member
Dec 31, 2005
This sounds more like a crappy resident scanner (spyware/antivirus) than an OS glitch, really.

Brian48

Diamond Member
Oct 15, 1999
Originally posted by: nerp
This sounds more like a crappy resident scanner (spyware/antivirus) than an OS glitch, really.

No. He is referring to a real glitch that has been identified and there is a hotfix available for it.

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx/kb/931770

It was reported here in this article as well, but is really more wide spread across a gamit of machines with different HW and memory configs.

Vista's Long Good Bye

Windows Vista suffers from a bug that causes many machines to stall while deleting, copying and moving files, a flaw that has provoked consternation in online forums.

juktar

Jan 20, 2005
Originally posted by: Brian48

No. He is referring to a real glitch that has been identified and there is a hotfix available for it.

It was reported here in this article as well, but is really more wide spread across a gamit of machines with different HW and memory configs.

Vista's Long Good Bye

Windows Vista suffers from a bug that causes many machines to stall while deleting, copying and moving files, a flaw that has provoked consternation in online forums.

I don't think he is talking about that at all. This is about saving files. This is the first time I have heard about this.

Brazen

Diamond Member
Jul 14, 2000
Originally posted by: nonameo
Originally posted by: tanishalfelven
Originally posted by: BlameCanada
I suppose you could design a better OS?

it alrady exist. its called linux.

I hate to say this, but linux is just a kernel. Which distro are you referring to?

(btw, I think windows and linux are both great operating sytems, right know I'm on OS X though ;) )

I thought linux was just a kernel? :confused:

Brian48

Diamond Member
Oct 15, 1999
Originally posted by: juktar
Originally posted by: Brian48

Vista's Long Good Bye

I don't think he is talking about that at all. This is about saving files. This is the first time I have heard about this.

There is very little difference between copying and saving. In both instances you are writing to a new file and is essentially the same process. In any case, he may have been a little more detailed in describing it, but he was still referring to this one issue identified with the Hotfix.

juktar

Jan 20, 2005
I realize there is little difference. The fact being that it has not been reported as saving files being a problem.

I had the issue. I could save files just fine. Copying files took an extremely long time. Deleting files took longer than normal. I think that article would mention saving files as well, if that was part of the symptom.

nerp

Diamond Member
Dec 31, 2005
This problem is also not universal. Copying, saving and moving files is as smooth as ever for me on Vista and fast as heck. In fact, network file operations seem a lot faster for me.

drag

Elite Member
Jul 4, 2002
A lot of this is UserInterface issues.

Microsoft puts a lot of effort into creating a UI that is snappy and responsive and what you experiance may not accurately reflect what is realy going on with the system.

For example the networking stuff has been completely restructured for Vista. It's _massively_ more bloated protocol now with Vista then it ever was for XP.

However I beleive the reason for this bloat is that it is now able to update directory tree displays faster while actual file transfers are going to be slower.

So if you want to find out were any performance issues are coming from, weither it's from hardware or driver issue, it's a software scedualling issues, or if it's a UI issue, your going to actually have to investigate what is going on with the system and how it works.

One good way of doing this is through benchmarks. It will help you isolate the issue and figure out what would be the nessicary action to take to correct it.