Starting my own pc repair business, please read.

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

screw3d

Diamond Member
Nov 6, 2001
Do you guys think it's viable for me to start something like this in college? I do so many free repairs that I think if I start charging them (yeah cheapens the knowledge I know), I can afford to quit schooling. I've been thinking about this for a long time but I have no idea where to start.

Nocturnal

Lifer
Jan 8, 2002
Often times when someone starts a post like this they're usually told not to do it. But lately I've been seeing a lot of encouraging posts. I'm wondering if I should venture into doing this as well. I already do it for most of my family members as well as my mom's friends as well.

flot

Diamond Member
Feb 24, 2000
Ok, since no one else pointed it out, I will.

This is like me saying "I'm going to start a car repair shop. I don't know that much but I'll figure it out along the way."

Why would you start a PC repair business if you were anything less than an expert in the field? Even most "experts" are inept, so I can't imagine how this will go...

What are you going to do when you break the motherboard on someone's $2000 I-got-it-at-compusa-and-everything-is-proprietary machine?

What are you going to do when you accidentally reformat their hard drive with the only picutres of their dead grandmother? Or their tax records?

Doesn't sound like a good plan to me. Even if you know your stuff forward and backward you are going to have seriously irate customers to deal with all the time....

screw3d

Diamond Member
Nov 6, 2001
Originally posted by: flot

This is like me saying "I'm going to start a car repair shop. I don't know that much but I'll figure it out along the way."

Why would you start a PC repair business if you were anything less than an expert in the field? Even most "experts" are inept, so I can't imagine how this will go...

What are you going to do when you break the motherboard on someone's $2000 I-got-it-at-compusa-and-everything-is-proprietary machine?

What are you going to do when you accidentally reformat their hard drive with the only picutres of their dead grandmother? Or their tax records?

Doesn't sound like a good plan to me. Even if you know your stuff forward and backward you are going to have seriously irate customers to deal with all the time....

We should start compiling a whole list of disclaimer clauses :D

I'll start:

Backup your friggin' data if you don't wanna lose it!!! It's not my fault if your HDD dies!!!

Alvis

Nov 1, 2003

Because I'm willing to take chances, and you can't start out as an

expert. To be an expert you have to gain experience somewhere.

pillage2001

Lifer
Sep 18, 2000
Originally posted by: screw3d

We should start compiling a whole list of disclaimer clauses :D

I'll start:

Backup your friggin' data if you don't wanna lose it!!! It's not my fault if your HDD dies!!!

I'm not responsible for your Dell/Sony/ Whatever brand there are warranty.

Another thing, most people that build their own pc usually won't require any external help while those that are not capable would have gotten a Dell.

y2kc

Platinum Member
Sep 2, 2000

valid. but there are risks in life, period. you can't live in a bubble..

I am sure these things (accidents) happen, so what kind of insurance do you guys that do this have? Do you have any?

thomsbrain

Lifer
Dec 4, 2001
i've done this for a while without any trouble. for parts, i charge whatever it costs me to get them, including shipping, but with no markup. i provide copies of the receipts to prove it. i give the person the option of either ordering it online for less money or getting it RIGHT NOW for more money. some people want it right away, others don't mind waiting.

i charge $50/hour for everything, with a 1 hour minimum. i offer no additional warrenties beyond that of the parts and negligence on my part. so if they screw it up, it's not my problem, and they have to pay to have me back. i do not troubleshoot over the phone beyond giving estimates. so i'll tell them what the problem is likely to be (and what it is likely to cost) but not how to fix it. for that, they have to employ my services. i'm also very specific about what services i have performed on a given computer so that there's no bull when they call me to say that when i installed their kid's game it made their router break.

Alvis

Nov 1, 2003
I'm starting to see that just charging a flat hourly rate may be easier than having a whole laundry list of prices for different things.

rudeguy

Lifer
Dec 27, 2001
Originally posted by: Alvis
I'm starting to see that just charging a flat hourly rate may be easier than having a whole laundry list of prices for different things.

Easier for you, yes. But your customers will want some kind of estimate on how much it would be to fix the problem.

pillage2001

Lifer
Sep 18, 2000
Bump. I started thinking today and wonder if this is a good idea? I live in a college town so I would like to do this on a part time basis. Also, do I need any license or anything if I don't have a shop?

JonnyBlaze

Diamond Member
May 24, 2001
im also in the process of starting the same type of business. i want to start doing in-home repairs and upgrades and move into small business consuting / support. im working on my website now ill post it for opinions when i get a lil more done. iv already got a my business license & tax id number. a business bank account is next.

JBlaze

Yzzim

Lifer
Feb 13, 2000
I fix computers from time to time when friends/family refer me to whoever they know.

The question I have the hardest time answering is "How much is it going to cost to reinstall Windows?" It's not as easy as delete, install windows, done type of thing. No one has their driver disk so usually I ended up taking each piece of hardware out and looking for the driver manually. Such a PITA and a waste of time.

Normally I charge about $30/hour with reformatting being $90-$100...depending on if i know the person or not.

skychief

Jan 3, 2003
I have been doing repairs for about two years now and sure it has brought in a little extra cash but man there can be some major headaches. Old outdated machines can make your life miserable and just downloading all of the updates after a format can take hours so make sure you have a fast connection. All in all though, with a little preparation it can be rewarding so good luck with your new venture.

TommyVercetti

Diamond Member
Jan 4, 2003
Originally posted by: pillage2001
Bump. I started thinking today and wonder if this is a good idea? I live in a college town so I would like to do this on a part time basis. Also, do I need any license or anything if I don't have a shop?

Don't go all out just yet. Just start by fixing friends' computers, and then thier friends' and so on. Network first and then start a formal business.