Started using dropbox for pics. How did they sync so fast?

moonbogg

Lifer
Jan 8, 2011
I dumped 500megs of pics into a dropbox folder and they all just dumped in there and had a green checkmark next to them in like 30 seconds or less. My internet is fast, but not fast enough to upload 500megs in a few seconds. What the heck is going on here? Do they use some fancy compression magic or something?

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
Maybe they're using Pied Piper's technology. :p

Seriously though that does sound impressive. I too would be curious to know if they're actually just saying it's done when it just means that it got the whole list of files, then it transfers in background or something.

Let's say it took 10 seconds, 500MB would require 50MB/sec, or 400Mb/sec . (assuming no compression but even with, 10 sec would be impressive let alone a few)

Syborg1211

Diamond Member
Jul 29, 2000
Were these all new photos or edits of existing files? Dropbox is good about only uploading the changes to files. For example say you have a photo on dropbox already but you decide to change the shadows or something. When you make that change to the file, your computer only uploads what's different and not the whole file again.