started folding again

Shmee

Memory & Storage, Graphics Cards Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 13, 2008
This time with the v7 beta using my xfire setup and 980x. So far, I am a bit confused as to if I am doing everything right, and calculating PPD. I have both 6950 slots with the advanced flag, and the SMP slot with the bigadv flag.

I downloaded FAHWatch7, but I cant seem to make much sense of it. I remember FAHmon was much simpler :C

Well, any tips for maximizing PPD/ configuring? Thanks!

BTW, both 6950s are unlocked and oced by 40 MHz, hope that helps! Will be interesting to see if the extra shaders make more difference than they do in games.

Ken g6

Programming Moderator, Elite Member
Dec 11, 1999
Let's see...have you folded with a passkey before? (I hope you are using one now.) If not, I believe you need to do 10 correct SMP WUs with the passkey before you'll get bigadv bonus credit. You might as well do these first WUs without bigadv, just to get them over with.

AMD GPUs just aren't as good at FAH as nVIDIA. Plus, the 6000 series isn't quite as good as the 5000 series. But, yes, the extra shaders should help.

Shmee

Memory & Storage, Graphics Cards Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 13, 2008
interesting, why is the passkey needed? Still a bit confused :/

Also, do you know of any other programs good for monitoring status and PPD?

theAnimal

Diamond Member
Mar 18, 2003
Let's see...have you folded with a passkey before? (I hope you are using one now.) If not, I believe you need to do 10 correct SMP WUs with the passkey before you'll get bigadv bonus credit. You might as well do these first WUs without bigadv, just to get them over with.

AMD GPUs just aren't as good at FAH as nVIDIA. Plus, the 6000 series isn't quite as good as the 5000 series. But, yes, the extra shaders should help.

Yes, definitely add a passkey & switch to regular SMP until you've completed 10 with at least 80% completion ratio to qualify for bonus. As far as PPD, you may want to test with and without the GPUs to see the difference. AMD GPUs use quite a bit of CPU and are often not worth using along with SMP/bigadv because of the drop in PPD they cause.

As far as monitoring, I don't use one. If needed I punch the numbers in here: http://linuxforge.net/bonuscalc2.php

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
Last time I messed with V7, it offered me a choice of multi-GPU OR SMP, I didn't figure out how to configure both. It was on my rig with four 9600GSOs, with only a dual-core CPU (remind me to upgrade it to a quad-core some day.)