***STARGATE*** Picked-Up for 8th Season Due to BOFFO Ratings!

Jan 25, 2001
LINK TO TV GUIDE ARTICLE

Definitely one of the greatest shows ever on television.

Already huge in EUROPE, the show got really huge after it's audience expanded when Showtime's contract expired and was reluctantly handed over to cable (Sci-Fi chanel) where it has improved upon its BOFFO ratings!

Can't wait for the new movie and new spin-off "Atlantis"! :D :D :D

Star Trek who? BAH!

PowerMacG5

Diamond Member
Apr 14, 2002
Originally posted by: dighn
i :heart: stargate and did you just say there's gonna be a movie?!

A second movie. Yup, I read online reports too (don't have links handy).

yukichigai

Diamond Member
Apr 23, 2003
I've been watching this from the very beginning on Showtime and it's been cool stuff all the way through. I enjoyed the series so much that for a while my satellite service had nothing but the bare minimum of channels and Showtime. I'm really liking this season so far, particularly how they're playing up the comedy aspect of the whole thing. Jack has a lot of really good one-liners. I think if they keep the quality this high and stay with the comedy to lighten up the situation appropriately Stargate could be around for another 3 or 4 seasons.

P.S. For anyone who doesn't know an interview with the writers for SG1 shown on the Behind the Scenes Stargate special shed some light on the comedy aspect. One of the writers was shown saying "it suddenly occured to me that Stargate is a comedy, so we're doing more with that." If you look back at the most popular episodes that's pretty much true. Go Sci-Fi/Comedy!

P.P.S. What may throw a monkey wrench in the works is that Richard Dean Anderson (AKA Jack, AKA MacGyver) has expressed his frustration working in the Vancouver area, as it keeps him away from his family in LA. There were accounts saying that he had said he wouldn't do the series anymore unless it was moved to LA for shooting. I was a bit nervous about this since I know sometimes network execs can be shortsighted and Vancouver offers massive perks -- cost or otherwise -- compared to LA, but considering that the show has been renewed for an 8th season and considering the incredible foreign fanbase I think it may be possible the network execs decided a change of location was in order. Out of the low budget days, eh? Can hardly wait to see what sort of money they blow on special effects now.

ClueLis

Platinum Member
Jul 2, 2003
Originally posted by: cliftonite
Doesnt the show come on Fox as well as SciFi?

Yes, but the episodes are a year old. ;)

Stargate is one of my guilty pleasures. It isn't a fantastic show, but I just can't stop watching it anyway.

LeeTJ

Diamond Member
Jan 21, 2003
Originally posted by: ClueLis

Stargate is one of my guilty pleasures. It isn't a fantastic show, but I just can't stop watching it anyway.

name 5 primetime shows that are better? I bet you can't.

Stargate is a pretty good show, along the lines of Star Trek: TNG.

Radiohead

Platinum Member
Jun 16, 2001
Nice to see it go on. Too many sci-fi shows get canned prematurely ...ahem Firefly...

Is it still filmed in Vancouver?

ClueLis

Platinum Member
Jul 2, 2003
Originally posted by: LeeTJ

Alias (the best show on TV), 24, West Wing, Scrubs and Angel.

That said, there is nothing on tv in the summer that's better.

LeeTJ

Diamond Member
Jan 21, 2003

i dont' agree with your pick of 5, BUT, in order for it to be a guilty pleasure it would have to be along the lines of a reality show. otherwise it's a decent show that you enjoy.

i used to say that Xena is a guilty pleasure, now THAT is a bad series that i just kept watching. i find it difficult to put Stargate in that class.

trmiv

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
I LOVE Stargate SG-1, never miss it, and I don't care who knows it! It's one of the few times I let my inner geek come out. :D

cheapgoose

Diamond Member
May 13, 2002
I love the show! and honestly, the show just wouldn't be the same if any of them left, especially richard dean anderson. he is def. my favorite charactor on tv!

ClueLis

Platinum Member
Jul 2, 2003

i dont' agree with your pick of 5, BUT, in order for it to be a guilty pleasure it would have to be along the lines of a reality show. otherwise it's a decent show that you enjoy.

i used to say that Xena is a guilty pleasure, now THAT is a bad series that i just kept watching. i find it difficult to put Stargate in that class.

Ok, I guess I misspoke. I didn't mean to say that it's a bad show, and I apologize for implying that. What I meant was that I enjoy watching the show, but I don't think it is quite as good as all the hype makes it out to be.

ViperMagic

Platinum Member
Jul 7, 2001
Woe is to me, I've been watching Stargate for nearly 4 years, but I cannot get cable. I'm stuck watching the ancient re-runs on local TV at 1am on Saturdays....

Jan 25, 2001
Originally posted by: Maleficus
I woulda dropped that show like a bad habit, man does it suck.

Well, your opinion is your prerogative. But, FWIW, critical raves & ratings sya otherwise as it's is one of the highest on tv and growing (pretty amazing since it's on cable). ;)

PowerMacG5

Diamond Member
Apr 14, 2002
Originally posted by: TheeeChosenOne
Originally posted by: Maleficus I woulda dropped that show like a bad habit, man does it suck.
Well, your opinion is your perogative. But, FWIW, the ratings is one of the highest on tv and growing (pretty amazing since it's on cable). ;)

I hate to do this, since it was done to me, but....

don't you mean prerogative?

Cerb

Elite Member
Aug 26, 2000
Farscape got canceled, but SG-1 still trundles on?
...at least Scifi started playing the hulk again