Starfield - The successor to Freelancer?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
Yeah I have to agree. Appears to be a very lousy game packaged in a very pretty engine.
Truth be told I did not love Fallout 4 all that much. The story was as bad or worse than previous titles, the crafting and base building added nothing interesting, and the settlement management was a chore.

Reactions: Igo69

Artorias

Platinum Member
Feb 8, 2014
Bethesda hasn't really had a game with a good story since Morrowind. Not saying I didn't enjoy Skyrim though, however, their established lore is carrying the franchise.

The only 3D Fallout game with a good story was New Vegas, and that was Obsidian.

This looks generic. I know planet exploration is probably the major gameplay loop, but where are the space stations? Honestly seems like a game where you just go from one planets colony to the next, looks uninspired based on what we have seen so far.

GodisanAtheist

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2006
IMO Fallout 3 was Bethsoft's magnum opus. It was so unlike anything they had made before and even if it came up short for FO 1/2 fans it's a very obvious labor of love. Typical crappy main quest but the world and actual roleplaying we're pretty excellent.

While I haven't played FO4, everything I've seen smacks of "The fallout everyone was worried FO3 was going to be".

The more I learn about Starfield the more boring it becomes. Looks like another $5 with all DLC bundled in purchase if I ever saw one.

CP5670

Diamond Member
Jun 24, 2004
This reminds me a lot of Andromeda. It's nice but seems like a generic, design by commitee game. The graphics look really good but it won't be an immediate purchase for me.

Fallout 4 is actually quite good. It's the weakest of the three games but still has lots of great content and side quests, and the most open ended gameplay as well. The game is very buggy and unstable though. I played through the whole game at 120fps in the past but can't get it to work properly at anything over 60fps now. It lacks the fixes that 3 and NV have to do this. I want to play the Fens Sheriff mod for it, which has DLC level of content.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
Umm, I'm sorry but I have to call shens.
Ally the Gamebryo titles that Bethesda has put out have a special little quirk to them.
For whatever reasons they link the graphics engine to the physics engine and it causes all kinds of problems when you go above 60 frames per second.
Walk over a tin can and it kicks away a few feet. May even hit a stationary object and bounce back.
Walk over a tin can at 120 fps? It shoots away like a bullet, bounces off two walls, hits you in the face and kills you.
That's why all of them have their frame rate capped at 60.
You can go into their settings files and raise it to 75, 85, 120, or 144, and also go into your graphics settings and uncap frame rates and remove v-sync, but the game will start doing all kinds of crazy stuff you never thought possible.
I'm not saying you didnt do all that, but if you had "played through the whole game at 120fps in the past" you'd have noticed TONS of ridiculous things and realisitically the game would have been unplayable.
And no, its not a feature they added in a later Fallout 4 patch. Its been an aspect of their games since Oblivion.
Weird thing is other companies that use the Gamebryo engine choose to not link their physics to graphics and they get by just fine.

nurturedhate

Golden Member
Aug 27, 2011
Ally the Gamebryo titles that Bethesda has put out have a special little quirk to them.
For whatever reasons they link the graphics engine to the physics engine and it causes all kinds of problems when you go above 60 frames per second.
Walk over a tin can and it kicks away a few feet. May even hit a stationary object and bounce back.
Walk over a tin can at 120 fps? It shoots away like a bullet, bounces off two walls, hits you in the face and kills you.
You can go into their settings files and raise it to 75, 85, 120, or 144, and also go into your graphics settings and uncap frame rates and remove v-sync, but the game will start doing all kinds of crazy stuff you never thought possible.
I'm not saying you didnt do all that, but if you had "played through the whole game at 120fps in the past" you'd have noticed TONS of ridiculous things and realisitically the game would have been unplayable.
And no, its not a feature they added in a later Fallout 4 patch. Its been an aspect of their games since Oblivion.
Weird thing is other companies that use the Gamebryo engine choose to not link their physics to graphics and they get by just fine.
They have mods for that.

CP5670

Diamond Member
Jun 24, 2004

I know it works because I played through the entire game and DLCs at 120fps on an older monitor and video card several years ago, but don't remember what mods I used. The only thing that was messed up was the lip-syncing, which I can live without. I can't stand 60fps and will always try finding mods to remove it if I encounter it.

I also have 3 and NV working perfectly at 120fps using FOSE and the stutter remover mod. However, this mod doesn't exist for 4. The "high fps physics fix" seems like it should work (and others report it works) but still causes constant crashes for me.

[DHT]Osiris

Lifer
Dec 15, 2015
Skyrim SE runs fine at 144hz. I think the original had some quirks without patches but SE is fine. That's based on fo4 iirc.

CP5670

Diamond Member
Jun 24, 2004
In case it's useful to someone else, I found out the crashes were caused by the weapon debris setting. It doesn't work with modern Nvidia cards, but there is a mod called "weapon debris crash fix". I use F4SE and that mod along with High fps physics fix and it works nicely at 120fps, just like the older games.

Last edited:
Reactions: igor_kavinski

aigomorla

CPU, Cases&Cooling Mod PC Gaming Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005
got updates that this game will be available on microsoft game pass.

6-6-2023 puts launch in direct competition with diablo4, which to me is NOT smart at all, seeing how people will be grinding on ladder.
They should launch the game earlier, or launch it a bit later, so people can get ladder out of the way.

SMOGZINN

Lifer
Jun 17, 2005

6-6-2023 puts launch in direct competition with diablo4, which to me is NOT smart at all, seeing how people will be grinding on ladder.
They should launch the game earlier, or launch it a bit later, so people can get ladder out of the way.
I wouldn't worry too much about that. This game is being made by Bethesda. That means you take the launch date, add a year and two months, and that is the date that they will announce the real launch date, which will be about a 3 months out from that date. Then when the game does launch it will be a buggy mess and take a 2 more years to actually be playable with out major bugs, by then the modders will have made it brilliant.

I seriously expect that come summer 2027 or so that this game will be amazing and I'll spend a couple hundred hours on it.

quikah

Diamond Member
Apr 7, 2003

It is September 6, Diablo is June 6.

Reactions: aigomorla

DasFox

Diamond Member
Sep 4, 2003
You better believe that there will be an 'active modding community' for Starfield, because it would be required.

The first mod I'll be looking for before buying this game is the Unofficial Starfield Patch.

LOL, I like that the Unofficial Starfield Patch!

I’ve actually been modding the crap out of Skyrim for the past 8 months, I’m pretty much at it daily. And with a 3080, and around 300 mods, I have this game looking NextGen.

I can’t wait for Starfield, and I hope they release it in good condition!

Reactions: Elfear

CodeBeholder

Jan 18, 2023
I can’t wait for Starfield, and I hope they release it in good condition!

Has Bethesda ever released a game in "good condition" :p:eek:

I really, really want Starfield to be good but I'm guessing it'll be more of an Anthem than a No Mans Sky. At least Naughty Dog is also making a Sci-Fi game, maybe it can be a good replacement!

Borealis7

Platinum Member
Oct 19, 2006
Has Bethesda ever released a game in "good condition" :p:eek:

I really, really want Starfield to be good but I'm guessing it'll be more of an Anthem than a No Mans Sky. At least Naughty Dog is also making a Sci-Fi game, maybe it can be a good replacement!
Anthem and FO76, two of the biggest disasters in gaming, not a good ground to stand on with regards to your hopes.

waiting for Starfield: New Vegas.

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
I'll be on vacation when this releases so I'm hoping to hear good things about it. Looks really interesting so far I just hope it's engaging enough.

GodisanAtheist

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2006
Still can't shake the poor man's Mass Effect feeling.

Whatever wasn't gonna buy it until there was a complete edition for $10 anyway.

WhiteNoise

Golden Member
Jun 22, 2016
I've been excited for this for a long time. Now after seeing the latest videos I am even more excited. I absolutely love Bethesda games in all their broken glory. And hell no it doesn't remind me of ME at all. This is going to be great!

Zenoth

Diamond Member
Jan 29, 2005
BioWare wouldn't approach Starfield's multitudes of systems on systems on systems even if their life depended on it. The 'old' Mass Effect trilogy isn't doing 1/5th of what Starfield is attempting to do. To me Mass Effect already shat on itself with ME3, and that game was itself its own poor man's version of both preceding games. I wouldn't use Mass Effect to try and downgrade the potential of Starfield.

However, with this said, Starfield is a Bethesda game; it won't be truly playable for various reasons at the very least 1 full year after release, and I would argue due to its sheer size and ambitious amount of content and systems will only exacerbate any problems we've known from Bethesda games in the past by a factor of maybe 5,677, give or take a few units. It's always the same story with their games, their potential is truly sky-high, but the execution is - for the most part - horrendous. The modding community will be required, as always.

I'll get it, eventually. Like I did most of their games at one point or another. But I would recommend patience and all their official patches for at least a few months worth before jumping in. Then around 4 to 6 months after release we should see the first signs of bugs-fixing mods, if not the Starfield Unofficial Patch (which might even be made a lot sooner than my estimations, we'll see). I've spent enough time in my life with their games, modding them, editing mods, I know what to expect. I started all the way back with Morrowind and really kicked in the whole modding scene with Oblivion and plunged in the ocean of mods with Skyrim for no less than around 4 years before I finally called it quits for my sanity's sake.

Reactions: DeathReborn

JTsyo

Lifer
Nov 18, 2007
BioWare wouldn't approach Starfield's multitudes of systems on systems on systems even if their life depended on it. The 'old' Mass Effect trilogy isn't doing 1/5th of what Starfield is attempting to do. To me Mass Effect already shat on itself with ME3, and that game was itself its own poor man's version of both preceding games. I wouldn't use Mass Effect to try and downgrade the potential of Starfield.

However, with this said, Starfield is a Bethesda game; it won't be truly playable for various reasons at the very least 1 full year after release, and I would argue due to its sheer size and ambitious amount of content and systems will only exacerbate any problems we've known from Bethesda games in the past by a factor of maybe 5,677, give or take a few units. It's always the same story with their games, their potential is truly sky-high, but the execution is - for the most part - horrendous. The modding community will be required, as always.

I'll get it, eventually. Like I did most of their games at one point or another. But I would recommend patience and all their official patches for at least a few months worth before jumping in. Then around 4 to 6 months after release we should see the first signs of bugs-fixing mods, if not the Starfield Unofficial Patch (which might even be made a lot sooner than my estimations, we'll see). I've spent enough time in my life with their games, modding them, editing mods, I know what to expect. I started all the way back with Morrowind and really kicked in the whole modding scene with Oblivion and plunged in the ocean of mods with Skyrim for no less than around 4 years before I finally called it quits for my sanity's sake.
I'm with you, I'll hold off until I know it's in a good state. Should be plenty of mods out too.

Reactions: DeathReborn

WhiteNoise

Golden Member
Jun 22, 2016
I have bought most of their games at release and played through them without any game-breaking issues. Sure their games are buggy but I have never experienced anything game-breaking. Modders always make Besthesda games better. I'll mod as I go, but I'll enjoy the game from release. 🤘