Starfield CPU & GPU limited, once again DX12/Vulkan fails to deliver

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Ranulf

Platinum Member
Jul 18, 2001
This reminds me of the various theories surrounding Remedy's previous RTX showcase game, Control. Perhaps they've designed the graphics to favor ray tracing more than raster.

Reactions: igor_kavinski

DAPUNISHER

Super Moderator CPU Forum Mod and Elite Member
Super Moderator
Aug 22, 2001
I have both the Alan Wake games Epic gave out for free. I haven't touched them yet. By the time I get around to trying this one, it'll play on iGPU. :p What I saw of game play from the first was not my bag. It is spooky season now, so maybe I'll give the first one a go...🎃👻

• Haha
Reactions: NTMBK
Jul 27, 2020
It is spooky season now, so maybe I'll give the first one a go...🎃👻
I bought an Xbox 360 specifically to play that game when it wasn't available on PC. Spooky is an understatement. The game's more terrifying to play alone at night than Resident Evil series and probably on par with Silent Hill (the first one). Definitely don't recommend anyone with a weak heart to play the game alone with the lights turned off.

GodisanAtheist

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2006
I bought an Xbox 360 specifically to play that game when it wasn't available on PC. Spooky is an understatement. The game's more terrifying to play alone at night than Resident Evil series and probably on par with Silent Hill (the first one). Definitely don't recommend anyone with a weak heart to play the game alone with the lights turned off.

-I've fired up Alan Wake as a respite from playing Alien Isolation.

Game is more hammy than scary at the moment, well presented like all Remedy games, but the voice acting and general vibe is more like one of the sillier episodes of X-Files than something legitimately scary.

Playing along with the kiddos watching, definitely some creep factor but even the violence isn't that bad.

Reactions: NTMBK
Jul 27, 2020
Playing along with the kiddos watching, definitely some creep factor but even the violence isn't that bad.
For me the things get bad when he goes into the dark forest. Just a flashlight, that eerie thumping music and baddies coming out of nowhere. I never finished when I got to the train tracks. Moved onto other less scary things.

Reactions: GodisanAtheist

Hitman928

Diamond Member
Apr 15, 2012
I have both the Alan Wake games Epic gave out for free. I haven't touched them yet. By the time I get around to trying this one, it'll play on iGPU. :p What I saw of game play from the first was not my bag. It is spooky season now, so maybe I'll give the first one a go...🎃👻

I enjoyed the first one. Felt like you were playing through a Stephen King novel. I would say more atmospheric and eery than scary. The struggle to find safety can get a little intense sometimes. Gameplay was solid overall but nothing really noteworthy. Overall it was a solid B for me but I really enjoyed the concept and world it created.

PJVol

May 25, 2020
The game update 1.8.84 seems to have breathed life into my 5800X3D. The performance uplift is ... strange )
Akila,1080p, max settings, no upscale
v1.7.23 / driver 23.8.2 - 72 fps
v1.8.84 / driver 23.11.1 - 96 fps

Attachments

• Starfield CPU 1.7.23.png
    Starfield CPU 1.7.23.png
    3.2 MB · Views: 11
  • Starfield CPU 1.8.84 beta.png
    Starfield CPU 1.8.84 beta.png
    3.5 MB · Views: 11
Last edited:
Jul 27, 2020
The game update 1.8.84 seems to have breathed life into my 5800X3D. The performance uplift is ... strange )
Your lows have improved nicely so clearly some bottleneck has been removed to allow your hardware to be used more effectively as evidenced also by the higher CPU/GPU power consumption.

PJVol

May 25, 2020
Your lows have improved nicely so clearly some bottleneck has been removed to allow your hardware to be used more effectively as evidenced also by the higher CPU/GPU power consumption.
Yeah, there's no CPU bottleneck at 1080p anymore

Last edited: