Starcraft II multiplayer is now FREE TO PLAY for everyone!

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

irishScott

Lifer
Oct 10, 2006
Oh man, I wonder how HotS did. I remember it coming out ( I actually thought for a while there it still hadn't come out) like a month or two ago, but it dropped off so fast, I actually forgot it was actually ever released.

That's because it was kinda bland. The new units were interesting, but hardly opened up a dearth of new tactics. Likewise the campaign was ridiculously easy and a serious downgrade from WoL. Even the voice actors kept over from WoL seemed off their game most of the time.

Rezist

Jun 20, 2009
I enjoy SC2 quite a bit still. There's really nothing else left for good RTS games for online anymore. Yeah DOTA is probably more frustrating with all the last hit stuff honestly.

beginner99

Diamond Member
Jun 2, 2009
strategy should matter more than amazing micro due to rabbit reflexes imho) that is too difficult to get into for most people who don't want to get carpal tunnel.

Lol. Actually the reason I stopped playing SC2. Did not like it that much as SC1 (which I played like for years A LOT and was pretty good at) and started having issues with my right hand/wrist.

GaiaHunter

Diamond Member
Jul 13, 2008
A lot of the balance perfection of BW comes the fact the automation (or lack of if) and AI pathfinding are so horrible.

Overpowered is much more balanced when it is really hard to execute,

digiram

Diamond Member
Apr 17, 2004
Yup, this guy basically nailed why SC2 failed to live up to BW:

http://www.reddit.com/r/starcraft/comments/11m21k/starcraft_2_will_be_dead_before_legacy_of_the/

Ignoring the casual playerbase (UMS crowd) and focusing too much on the 1v1 hardcore crowd. Antisocial bnet 2.0 didn't help retain any casual players either.

This is what I'm thinking right here, and the same seems to be happening with COD. Actiblizz seems to want heavily focus and cater to the hardcore\pro scene. I remember playing BW in the pub lobbies with friends non stop. 3v3/4v4, no ladder, no rankings. Just wanna jump in play a few good matches with no pressure, and call it a night. SC2 doesn't feel that way.

clok1966

Golden Member
Jul 6, 2004
Starcraft 1 will always be the gaming industry's perfection to me. Blizz devised truly unique races that are opposites from each other and tweaked it into a competitive perfection.

damn how do i add all the quotes? I didn't get "bliz created the different units quote above this"

keep in mind the grand daddy (not count Zowie) did it to start.. Dune II.. each side had different units.. Hark had the Brute force tanks, Ord had the side switcher units, etc.. so that was in the "first" RTS that all the others copied..

but there is no doubt Bliz did what they do.. they made it as perfect as it gets.. I cant argue SC is about as close to a perfect RTS is we may ever see.. But I gotta give my love to DUNE II, it was awesome, and it started the RTS trend.

How is Match Making in SC II? I played ladder in WCII (and did ok) but my first few games in WC III where embarrassing.. I was smashed non stop.. is there any win /loss ratio used? I go in and its my first game, is it just random, will i get JOE insta click.. or will i get another player who has no games online?

Zeze

Lifer
Mar 4, 2011
How is Match Making in SC II? I played ladder in WCII (and did ok) but my first few games in WC III where embarrassing.. I was smashed non stop.. is there any win /loss ratio used? I go in and its my first game, is it just random, will i get JOE insta click.. or will i get another player who has no games online?

It's genuine matchmaking based on your rating. There are tons of newbies like you. If you lose enough, you will eventually get matched up with people similar to you.

Also you can play custom regular games (which is far easier to find than SC1) with is not serious at all.

blastingcap

Diamond Member
Sep 16, 2010
I completely disagree with your post even though I agree Dune II was the first major RTS game on PC. Because:

1) Dune 2 wasn't multiplayer.

2) The bonus units (and structures... I remember building like 20 palaces as Harkonnen and bombarding my way to victory, vs. say Fremen spam as Atredies) were unique, but the basic gameplay wasn't that different.

But really it's 1) that matters. Gameplay doesn't need to be tweaked for balance so much if it is single-player.

You can make a far stronger argument for Command and Conquer having somewhat different units for GDI vs Nod AND having multiplayer... but they weren't as bizarrely different as in SC1.

damn how do i add all the quotes? I didn't get "bliz created the different units quote above this"

keep in mind the grand daddy (not count Zowie) did it to start.. Dune II.. each side had different units.. Hark had the Brute force tanks, Ord had the side switcher units, etc.. so that was in the "first" RTS that all the others copied..

but there is no doubt Bliz did what they do.. they made it as perfect as it gets.. I cant argue SC is about as close to a perfect RTS is we may ever see.. But I gotta give my love to DUNE II, it was awesome, and it started the RTS trend.

Wardawg1001

Sep 4, 2008

Matchmaking is based on a hidden MMR rating. As a brand new player with no MMR rating at all I honestly don't know how its going to choose your first opponents. I can tell you that when I played my first matches the players were exceptionally terrible, though I don't know if they were also new like me or people with lots of games and really bad MMR ratings.

If you end up getting stomped alot, don't worry, it will not take long for it to start placing you against people of your skill level.