Starcraft and Shared Cable Modem Trouble - UPDATE, user posted possible solution.

FordLorider

Golden Member
Oct 10, 1999
Hey all you Starcraft junkies out there. I am sharing a cable modem using a router and I want to play Starcraft with my roomate on Battle.net. Whenever I try to play it doesn't let us play together, it says something about latency too large which makes sense since we are both on the same line but there must be some way around this, even if it's somewhat slow. Anyone know of any fixes for this problem? TIA!

RSI

Diamond Member
May 22, 2000
Same problem here. Although my bro says his friend plays online all the time with multiple systems on the same cable on bnet. Dunno. I'd like to know as well if it's possible.

-RSI

Spikesoldier

Diamond Member
Oct 15, 2001
Does it have to be on battle.net? I have a similar problem sometimes, you have to re-login to battle.net. the error is totally random. But there is now a UDP LAN option for starcraft which eliminates lag etc...

kt

Diamond Member
Apr 1, 2000
Battle.net doesn't support it.. nothing you can do about it unless Blizzard get off their arses to correct the problem. Given the fact that it took them more than a few years before they implemented the feature to allow Starcraft to be playable on a TCP/IP LAN, you can forget about them correcting this problem. There was this NAT program that was able to do it, but it was laggy.

RSI

Diamond Member
May 22, 2000

<< Battle.net doesn't support it.. nothing you can do about it unless Blizzard get off their arses to correct the problem. Given the fact that it took them more than a few years before they implemented the feature to allow Starcraft to be playable on a TCP/IP LAN, you can forget about them correcting this problem. There was this NAT program that was able to do it, but it was laggy. >>

What's the use of that? I've never had any problems using the IPX protocol. Played a many multiplayer games using that, all lagless.

-RSI

Cfour

Golden Member
Jul 6, 2000
www.sternie.com
It took a long time before, but eventuallyt we were able to join the same game, bug with huge lag. Maybe w/ the new version it will work because there is tcp/ip lan now..

Tony

LeStEr

Diamond Member
Dec 28, 1999
I have no problem playing over b.net sharing a cable modem. I am using a hub though.

Alphathree33

Platinum Member
Dec 1, 2000

<< I have no problem playing over b.net sharing a cable modem. I am using a hub though. >>

What he means is that two people are playing from two computers on bnet sharing one modem, and that most definitely does not work.

But then again why not just play a lan game? :)

My friends just bring over their laptops and plug them into my router and we can get as many people as we want on my lan, adding hubs as needed.

FordLorider

Golden Member
Oct 10, 1999
Wow, thanks for very quick response, unfortunately that wasn't the answer that I was looking for. We just want to play some 'suckers' on b.net, you can only play so many 2 vs 6 comps, and those games take a relatively long time to finish. I mean if we can both play using Quake III, why not 2 bit Starcraft?

Shaka

Oct 13, 1999
I believe there is a program that will get around this phenomenon. I'm sure that b.net does not support what you're trying to do though; I've tried as well. I think it has something to do with FSGS... not sure though.

Ne0

Golden Member
Nov 4, 1999
I emailed blizzard tech support about this as well. He basically said there is nothing you can do. If you only have 1 IP address, and your sharing it with the router. Because of the way Starcraft BNET is setup, both computers can't connect to the same game with the same IP source or address. But he did say if I purchased another IP address and gave each computer it's own IP address (and no need for the router) then that would work.

AnthraX101

Oct 7, 2001
One thing you could try:

There is an option to assume one computer is the receving end of all packets sent to it. Try setting that to one of the computer, and hosting it on that one. It fixed my friends WCIII problem...same one, basicaly.

Armani

FordLorider

Golden Member
Oct 10, 1999
AnthraX101,

could you explain your possible solution a little better. You are talking about options on the router itself right?

AzNmAnJLH

Golden Member
Feb 26, 2002
use to try what you are doing all the time a few years ago... we eventually got on and then when we start the game someone would lag out.... frustrating indeed

Dragnov

Diamond Member
Apr 24, 2001
I tried endless times to fix this matter but gave up. You can play at the same time in DIFFERENT games. You just can't play in the same game as one computer will not be able to join saying the latency is too high.

LeStEr

Diamond Member
Dec 28, 1999

<<

<< I have no problem playing over b.net sharing a cable modem. I am using a hub though. >>

What he means is that two people are playing from two computers on bnet sharing one modem, and that most definitely does not work.

But then again why not just play a lan game? :)

My friends just bring over their laptops and plug them into my router and we can get as many people as we want on my lan, adding hubs as needed.
>>

Are ya sure? Cause Its working right now?

ALSO - Each computer somehow obtains its own IP from my cable connection so thats why it works.

FordLorider

Golden Member
Oct 10, 1999
"There is an option to assume one computer is the receving end of all packets sent to it. Try setting that to one of the computer, and hosting it on that one. It fixed my friends WCIII problem...same one, basicaly"

Well his idea worked. I got into a game with my roomate on the same cable modem, we don't have separate IP's. There is an option with my cable modem, Linksys BEFSR41 v2.

It's under (after you log in) Advanced > DMZ host > DMZ Host IP Address. Just have that address be the one that is hosting the game (probably want that one to be the faster of the 2 computers). The problem like everyone tried to tell me, the lag is incredible. I couldn't play a game that that speed without going insane, and I usually play with gamespeed at Fast. Well better luck next time.

Thanks for all your help guys, hopefully everyone picked up something from this!