Starcraft 2 will be the best Game of the Century

Riverhound777

Diamond Member
Aug 13, 2003
Thanks, hadn't scene that video before. Looks amazing, can't wait. Been playing Brood wars the last few days myself. Turns out I had never finished the Zerg campaign.

Dacalo

Diamond Member
Mar 31, 2000
Those supply depots are so cool. Blizzard one-upped the strategy, bravo.

Maximilian

Lifer
Feb 8, 2004
Exaggerating? I don't think your giving it enough praise! This game will be the best game ever created!

KeithTalent

Elite Member | Administrator | No Lifer
Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
Looks like any other RTS to me. What's the big deal? :confused:

I've never played the first one, so maybe that's why I don't get it. What makes it special?

KT

exdeath

Lifer
Jan 29, 2004
No it will just be a remake of Starcraft with the WC3 engine, it isn't going to change anything or re-revolutionize a thing.

Molondo

Platinum Member
Sep 6, 2005
Originally posted by: exdeath
No it will just be a remake of Starcraft with the WC3 engine, it isn't going to change anything or re-revolutionize a thing.

Thanks for the useless info.

Fenixgoon

Lifer
Jun 30, 2003
Originally posted by: exdeath

i honestly don't expect it to revolutionize the RTS by ANY means. i expect it to be an evolution and refinement of the best RTS ever made. in short, don't fix what isn't broken:thumbsup:

KillyKillall

Diamond Member
Jul 1, 2004
I'm another person that doesn't really enjoy RTS games. I think for a game to be considered the best game of the century (considering we're 8 years into it) it would have to be something more like playing madden as if I were teleported into the game and actually playing on the field. The players wouldn't be holograms, but feel/look/touch like real players. When a LB tackles you, you feel it but don't break bones. :) Now THAT would be the game of the century.

Bateluer

Lifer
Jun 23, 2001
One my main concerns is Blizzard dumbing down the game's characters and storyline for the console kiddies.

Fenixgoon

Lifer
Jun 30, 2003
Originally posted by: Bateluer
One my main concerns is Blizzard dumbing down the game's characters and storyline for the console kiddies.

where was it said that it would be ported to consoles?

SC64 was a failure, IIRC. not to mention the entire game would have to be reworked for consoles.

40sTheme

Golden Member
Sep 24, 2006
Why are people even worrying about what Blizzard is going to do with this game? If it's just a more detailed Starcraft with some new strategies and campaigns then tada! It will be great! If you liked Starcraft, why worry so much? Blizzard doesn't skimp on polishing their games...

Vortex22

Diamond Member
Sep 6, 2000
Originally posted by: Inspector Jihad
wait...the game is based on the WC3 engine??

No. It should be obvious to anyone with half a brain who has actually watched the gameplay videos that it's not the WC3 engine. It looks infinitely better than WC3.

HamburgerBoy

Lifer
Apr 12, 2004
Starcraft is Blizzard's best game and was my personal favorite for many years, but I'm not setting my hopes too high. Diablo 2 was a step down from Diablo, Warcraft 3 was several steps down from Warcraft 2, and World of Warcraft is a game I will never play. A good portion of the original Starcraft team is no longer a part of Blizzard and if they rape this like they raped their other two franchises, they can go and make console-oriented garbage like Bungie now is for all I care. If they do manage to keep the elements that made Starcraft great (loud music, gore, a Battle.Net that doesn't suck, and humor without falling into a pit of cornball) then it'll be the first thing they've done right in over ten years.

Maximilian

Lifer
Feb 8, 2004
Originally posted by: Vortex22

No. It should be obvious to anyone with half a brain who has actually watched the gameplay videos that it's not the WC3 engine. It looks infinitely better than WC3.

Im pretty sure its a modified version of the WC3 engine.

Noema

Platinum Member
Feb 15, 2005
Originally posted by: KillyKillall
I'm another person that doesn't really enjoy RTS games. I think for a game to be considered the best game of the century (considering we're 8 years into it) it would have to be something more like playing madden as if I were teleported into the game and actually playing on the field. The players wouldn't be holograms, but feel/look/touch like real players. When a LB tackles you, you feel it but don't break bones. :) Now THAT would be the game of the century.

Well, as cool as that sound...

...I certainly hope the first game that enables me to do all you described is not an EA game.

:p

Tegeril

Platinum Member
Apr 2, 2003
Originally posted by: Soviet
Originally posted by: Vortex22

Im pretty sure its a modified version of the WC3 engine.
I'm pretty sure you're incorrect.

invidia

Platinum Member
Oct 8, 2006
It's based on the Havok engine. The physics part though.

And it's not SC with war3 graphics. I saw the demo and played the multiplayer demo at blizzcon last weekend. It is NOTHING near war3 and I've played war3 and Frozen throne since beta.

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
Originally posted by: Bateluer

I didn't hear that SC2 would be released on any consoles... is it going to be? :confused:

Sylvanas

Diamond Member
Jan 20, 2004
WTF It is not the war3 engine....it has been in development for around 4 years and is based on Direct X 10.

EDIT: From the SC2 FAQ

Will StarCraft II take advantage of DirectX 10? What other graphical goodies are included?

The game will be compatible with DirectX 10, and we're still considering whether there will be exclusive DirectX 10 graphic effects, but the graphics engine will also be very scalable to ensure that a wide range of different systems will be capable of running StarCraft II. The new engine is also capable of rendering very large units, as well as large numbers of units on screen together. Havok physics have been integrated into the engine for added realism as well.