Status
Not open for further replies.

aigomorla

CPU, Cases&Cooling Mod PC Gaming Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005
http://www.dailytech.com/article.aspx?newsid=19224

From daily tech.

Now what makes me laugh even more is how the guys are blaming blizzard, and not the card vendor.

Correct me if im wrong, but when you get a gpu, shouldnt you be able to load it @ 100% for hours and hours?

Yet the noobs are blaming the game for not limiting the frames.

*sigh*

Guys... if u play this game, it looks like it loads your gpu's up the butt.
Make sure you got good cooling to your cards.
And dont be an idiot like that guy who posted and install it in a work laptop.

Theres a reason why its called a work laptop.

Repost: http://forums.anandtech.com/showthread.php?t=2093991&highlight=sc2

Anandtech PC Gaming Moderator
KeithTalent

Last edited by a moderator:

aigomorla

Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005
Huh, it makes my GTX 480 about 80 something C.

lmao i was reading that thread in daily tech and i couldnt stop face palming at all the complaints..

But they say the gpu works harder then normal... im guessing like a furmark load.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
Yep, the videocard should be able to run at full load without problems.

This.
Unreal Tournament is able to run at 500fps, that doesnt mean there is anything wrong with Unreal Tournament or my card. If the card dies I yell at ATI, not Epic.

BlueWeasel

Lifer
Jun 2, 2000
So running the SC2 menu screens with an uncapped framerate is like running Furmark at 100-percent for hours?

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
So running the SC2 menu screens with an uncapped framerate is like running Furmark at 100-percent for hours?

Yup. The frame rate limiter only applies in game, not in the menus or during 3D cut scenes. BUT, there is a file you can edit and manually type in values to limit everything.

BlueWeasel

Lifer
Jun 2, 2000
Yup. The frame rate limiter only applies in game, not in the menus or during 3D cut scenes. BUT, there is a file you can edit and manually type in values to limit everything.

I'm not debating anything you said. But haven't their been countless other games like this?

I've not played SC2, so I don't know all the details. What's the exact cause? Is it because players spend so much time in the menus, ship, etc., because of texture size, quality of cutscenes, etc., or both?

Ultimately, it sounds like the SOL players had marginal cooling on their cards to begin with.

Last edited:

aigomorla

Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005

Ahh i see there's a thread in video cards..
Didnt check there, as its more game related from daily tech's article. LOL.

Ultimately, it sounds like the SOL people had marginal cooling on their cards to begin with.

i wonder how many of them turned there fans down also because it was too loud.

ultimately, as i said im laughing at the complaints.
People these days lack common sense.

I4AT

Platinum Member
Oct 28, 2006
I have vsync disabled and I never edited my config, my framerate never goes above 60-65 at the menu according to Fraps so I don't think everyone is affected by this problem.

MJinZ

Diamond Member
Nov 4, 2009
I'm running 4x MSAA at 1920x1200 with all Ultra Settings so I can't get 600FPS even if I tried.

Any higher than 4x MSAA forced, and my GTX480 won't even get 30FPS at the lounge/ship.

mwmorph

Diamond Member
Dec 27, 2004
I got about 300+ fps on the menu, but it is probably VRM/power mosfet related. Those things get hot and minimal cooling if any.

mmntech

Lifer
Sep 20, 2007
Correct me if im wrong, but when you get a gpu, shouldnt you be able to load it @ 100% for hours and hours?

That's a head scratcher. The system will usually lock up or shut down if the GPU overheats. High frame rate is meaningless in this situation. There are games that will tax your GPU more than Starcraft II will. I'm guessing there's some faulty cards out in the wild, or faulty coolers. One of the reasons I always use third party coolers with my GPUs. One variable I can control.

Status
Not open for further replies.